LSA question

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Which LSA's does Cisco support? Here is the list of them. I am really not sure and kinda of curious.
Type 1 - Router LSA - generated by the routers within an area to advertise their presence. Type 1 LSAs are flooded across their own area only.

Type 2 - Network LSA - the designated router on a broadcast segment (e.g. Ethernet) lists the locally connected networks to each router within an area. Type 2 LSAs are flooded across their own area only.

Type 3 - Summary LSA - an Area Border Router (ABR) takes information it has learned on one of its attached areas and it can summarize it (but not by default) before sending it out on other areas it is connected to.

Type 4 - ASBR-Summary LSA - this is needed because Type 5 External LSAs are flooded to all areas and the detailed next-hop information may not be available in those other areas.

Type 5 - External LSA - these LSAs contain information imported into OSPF from other routing processes. They are flooded to all areas (except stub areas).

Type 6 - Group Membership LSA - this was defined for Multicast extensions to OSPF (MOSPF) a multicast OSFP routing protocol which was not in general use.

Type 7 - Routers in a Not-so-stubby-area (NSSA) do not receive external LSAs from Area Border Routers, but are allowed to send external routing information for redistribution.

Type 8 - A link-local is used to give information about link-local addresses and a list of IPv6 addresses on the link.

Type 9 - a link-local "opaque" that contains prefixes for stub and transit networks in the link-state ID.

Type 10 - an area-local "opaque" LSAs contain information which should be flooded by other routers even if the router is not able to understand the extended information itself. Flooding extra information about links beyond just their metric, such as link bandwidth and color.

Type 11 - an AS "opaque", which is flooded everywhere except stub areas. This is the opaque equivalent of the type 5 external LSA
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Wow, have I gone into the CCIE forum by mistake:)

I'm reading about the use of LSA Types 1-5 & 7 in Cisco routers at the moment for the CCNP Route exam.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Type 6 are not supported by Cisco routers. I don't believe some of the opaque LSAs have been implemented into OSPF by any vendor.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Wow, have I gone into the CCIE forum by mistake:)

I'm reading about the use of LSA Types 1-5 & 7 in Cisco routers at the moment for the CCNP Route exam.

Actually we are going over this in our Class at Devry so I was curious because I was not really sure yet.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.