Options

MCITP:EA vs MCSE 2003

Fellow Members,

I know that MCITP:EA is the new version of the MCSE. However, most job postings are still looking for MCSE 2K3 and not the EA.

Which one should I pursue ? I really don't want to do both.

If a job posting requires 2K3, will they take the EA as a substitute ?

I would like to go for a Microsoft credential after completing my CCNA this June and need some direction.

I'm thinking that i'll attain the EA and just do the 70-290 track for the old one.

Just would like your two cents worth on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would just do the MCITP:EA since there is no clear answer as to when the MCSE will no longer be available to take. It would really stink to take 99% of the exams, and then all of a sudden have the rug pulled out from under you.
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    Once MS retires 2K3 then everyone will be forced to switch to the EA, correct ?

Also, when do you think they will pull the rug from the old one? a lot of corporations still use Server 2003 and need support on it.

I'm thinking at the very least 3 years. What do you think ?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would just do the MCITP:EA since there is no clear answer as to when the MCSE will no longer be available to take. It would really stink to take 99% of the exams, and then all of a sudden have the rug pulled out from under you.
    +1 Since Server 2000 support is being pulled soon by MS a lot of companies will be changing from 2000. They prob wont go to 2003 so 2008 will be grabbing a larger market. An MCIPT:EA or SA will be more valuable soon.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both certs (MCITP-EA and MSCE). Here's the difference:

MCITP: Server Administrator

The MCITP: Server Administrator identifies you with the knowledge and skills to perform day-to-day management of servers in Windows Servers 2008. While it's not a direct match, many people associate the MCITP Server Administrator as being similar to the MCSA in Server 2003.

The skills include:
    • Handling day-to-day management of the servers
    • Handling software distribution and updates
    • Monitoring and auditing servers
    • Troubleshooting issues
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator identifies you with the knowledge and skills needed to perform advanced networking tasks including infrastructure design using Windows Server 2008 products. While it's not a direct match, many people associate the MCITP Enterprise Administrator as being similar to the MCSE in Server 2003.

The skills include:
    • Enterprise systems administrator
    • IT systems administrator
    • Systems architect
    • Network administrator
    • Enterprise security administrator
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    ITFan,

Which one would be more beneficial to pursue ? which is more in demand now and 2 years from today ?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As you've noticed already the MCSE is more well known and useful now. 2 or more years down the road the MCITP may be more valuable. Depending on how fast you plan to get an MCSE you may want to do that and then get an MCITP later. If you could complete your MCSE by this time next year I'd probably go for it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MSCE is still a very popular certificate but MSCE 2003 will be going the way of XP in the near future so it is best to stay with current technology (Read below) If you decide to go MSCE with Vista path then an upgrade to MCITP-EA will take two exams. Tough call!!!

Extended Support for Windows 2000 Server Ends on July 13, 2010, and the transition of Windows Server 2003 and of Windows Server

Windows 2000 Server
    On July 13, 2010, Extended Support for Windows 2000 Server will end. The product will no longer be publicly supported after this date. Self-Help Online Support will be available for Windows 2000 Server after Extended Support for the operating system ends.
    We advise customers who are running Windows 2000 Server to contact their Microsoft Sales Account Manager or Technical Account Manager to discuss migration plans.

Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2
    Additionally, on July 13, 2010, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 will transition from the Mainstream Support phase to the Extended Support phase. Extended Support for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows Server 2003 R2 will be available until July 14, 2015.

We provide the following support during the Extended Support phase for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 at a supported service pack level:
    • We will continue to provide security updates and paid support.
    • Customers will continue to have access to all security updates and Self-Help Online Support options.
    • Non-security hotfixes developed in the Extended Support phase are only available to customers who enroll in Extended Hotfix Support (EHS).
    Windows Server 2008
    Windows Server 2008 customers will continue to receive Mainstream Support throughout the operating system’s five-year Mainstream Support phase until July 9, 2013, per the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.
    These support transition dates are in line with the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy for Business and Developer products.
    The Microsoft Support Lifecycle (MSL) policy provides transparent and predictable information about the support lifecycle of Microsoft products. More information is available on the following MSL Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle.

Article is listed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean36
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    Great article ITFan! so this means that Windows Server 2003 is on life support until 2015 ? does that also mean that 2K3 won't retire until then ?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If a job posting requires 2K3, will they take the EA as a substitute ?

That's completely up to the employer.
    Which one would be more beneficial to pursue ? which is more in demand now and 2 years from today ?

There is no answer to that.

Every company is different, some use 2003, some use 2008, some use both.

You want to be beneficial, then learn both.
    does that also mean that 2K3 won't retire until then ?

No, thats not what that means. MS doesnt have an exact date when the MCSE: 2003 track will be discontinued.

This is the email that I received from their Certification Guidance Team:
    At this time, exact dates for the retirement of the MCSA and MCSE 2003 have not been set. It is Microsoft’s policy to announce retirement dates for our certifications a year in advance. Please continue to check our Discontinued Exams page as it will be updated when official retirement dates for the exams are retired.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What technology do you expect to be working with the most? If you are going to be working with w2k3 immediately and see demand in your job market then it may still make sense to pursue that path.

There are some fairly simple upgrade paths from MCSE to MCITP. (2 exams for the server administrator and 3 for the EA) Here are the upgrade paths: Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)