Anyone went for MySQL certified DBA yet?

varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
Looking at LAMP's dominance when powering the web and different certs available to prove one's competency in the lump of those technologies, has anyone go for the MySQL certification for DBA? After all, it's the "M" in LAMP and if you are looking into the LAMP segment of the job market it would make sense (I think) to acquire that cert in addition to any other from the LAMP quartet.
I am about to aquire a Linux cert by passing the final of two exams and am looking into future certs that would be relevant as I advance my IT skills. I was also looking at how many ads there are about jobs on LAMP administration. But I am not sure that MySQL DBA cert is all that popular, or required. Am I wrong? Any expirience you would like to share?

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In the UK at least, I've never seen a role advertised requiring MySQL certification but have seen several that require significant MySQL experience ;) I personally don't think pursuing this certification will help you land a job. However as with most certs, at least by following the certification outline will help give you some structure to your learning.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MySQL Associate level cert may be useful if you know nothing about SQL. I find that most DBAs are using Oracle or some older platform like DB2. If there is a DBA that would be moving to a MySQL platform most of the syntax will be the same, the layout and usage of the product is the only thing that will change.