Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Congrats on the pass Krones!

I was going to say that the CIW learning resources are spot-on for their exams, but I see you haven't officially started WGU yet, so those aren't available to you.

1 month is more than enough time for the A+, imho.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Web Foudations is probably the least difficult if you use the MCSE whatever study guide and brush up on the HTML and CSS.

I think the A+ is a bit more difficult. But you'll do well. You seem dedicated and motivated.
  • Options
    CBaerCBaer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the responses.
    there's more value in Sec+ then most of the CIW certs. I personally think the CompTIA trifecta are good certs and any tech should have them in their tool box.

I don't mind increasing my time at WGU, especially by a few weeks, and you guys bring up a good point. If I can stay on track for a semester goal, and there is time left -- it doesn't hurt to have the course done. Where does the Sec+ class fall in the schedule? Do the mentors try to follow a general guideline for the course or, after the fundamentals and GEd, is it a student/mentor decision to tackle any class? I ask so that I can figure out where Sec+ would fit in as I build my goals calendar.

Thanks guys. BTW, I've been following this forum for a while trying to get a good guage on the WGU experience. It's because of the success I've seen here from what I think are like minded people, the fraternity, and the work ethic you guys have that I decided to finish up my BS at WGU instead of carrying on my Homeland Security path.
  • Options
    My Degree plan was created by Military TA, but I know the Mentors can adjust it.

So in this case, just take the three or four classes they want you to complete during the term. Complete them in a rapid but educating fashion then accelerate the other courses.

And it's still like a normal college whereby you have general Ed, degree related courses and lower and higher Ed.

I'm on an iPhone but I think Sec+ is a lower or initial high course. If you're rushing, you could probably complete it in a week or so. Taking your time and digesting the material effectively could be three weeks ish. But it all depends on your level of knowledge.

I've taken the test three times. I took it back when I was new to IT and attending a boot camp. I failed by a few points. Took it again and passed.

I took it again last year after the CISSP and rocked the crap out of it wo studying.

But I do think it's a great exam, and one of the few relevant CompTIA exams (along with Linux, A and Net+).
  • Options
    leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spiderjericho, how much of a hassle was it to get approved for the sec+ voucher? I am begining to wonder if I should ask to get it added to my initial semester. I work in info sec and like to think I have a fairly solid grasp on the subject matter, so I am begining to wonder if it is one that I could knock out quickly and with minimal study.

With the way my certs and credits transfered in, I only have a few gen ed courses, project+ and the tech writing/capstone to do. Looking at what I already have access to, it looks like finishing in one semester is a real possiblity for me, unless I get hung up on the math. I just worry about delays in the process of getting the voucher and moving on to the next class would push me into an additional semester. Is the voucher/moving to the next class a fairly quick process?
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

• Options
    I never took Sec+ at WGU. Tell them to remove whatever is meeting the transfer requirement on your transfer evaluation. For them, it's just more money they can get from you (technically if you're going by a traditional term).

As far as if it's a quick pass. I don't know. If you just want it for what it adds to your resume versus the knowledge then have at it. They're probably going to make you score high on practice tests. I assume this course uses Labsim.

To request a test/voucher, you need to first get approval from your mentor. Once he gives approval, then you either schedule it for classes with an online test through WGU or request a vouchers. The Voucher process can take 24-48 hours. Then you have to actually schedule it through the testing center. So it could take a few days.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm very surprised at the amount of credits that transferred.

Does a status of RS mean I met the requirement for the course?

20 courses transferred in, I only need 13! Awesome. I took other classes at school while waiting for an opening in a prerequisite I needed to graduate. It helped in the end as I only have an AAS degree
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Yea, requirement satisfied. Congrats! Very exciting. Be sure to double-check all the courses listed in the program guide as some classes may be missing from the actual transfer evaluation which they stipulate. I completely forgot until I looked and noticed technical writing and a few others missing from the list in my own evaluation.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    For those that have or are working on KET1 Task 2 is the listings.txt file supplied in the course? I have no idea what it looks like to start my application to test if it works.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    It should be in the attachments in Taskstream. I think it is a PDF so you will have to convert it to a .txt or just create a new one with the information.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    SaywhomSaywhom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow I wished I had found this site sooner, very informative. I actually started WGU in Dec 2009 and then had to take a break do to a deployment in 2010. I started back in 2011 but have been going slow only to do the minimum either 13 or 18 hours since I get the old GIBill so I consider the school to be a part time job since I am fortunate enough to be getting paid to take classes.

What brought me to the site is I am about to start on my last semester for BS:IT and I was looking for information on one of my classes PFI1 (IT Portfolio) and was wondering if any one knew what it was or what is required?

I transferred in 43 credits and only have GUT1, TWA1, PFI1, and CPW1 left.

Thanks.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    what city in bama do ya live in?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Knocked out BOV1 and DFV1 today. Fours weeks down and four classes down!
  • Options
    SaywhomSaywhom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    auburn, al
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    snapdad wrote: »
    Knocked out BOV1 and DFV1 today. Fours weeks down and four classes down!

Nice man! Congrats!
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »
    Nice man! Congrats!

Thanks! From your sig it looks like you've been knocking out classes pretty quick as well. Has your Mentor tried to slow your progress at all? Since I have complete my original four classes this semester, my Mentor says I can only work on one additional class at a time. I thought I would at least be able to have two open at a time.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I completed the minimum for the term in less than 2 months, I still get 2 or more courses open at a time.

Today I had my first really bad experience, taskstream is a pain. I submitted a final task, it was sent back so I made revisions. Got sent back a 2nd time, I contacted the CM because I wasn't sure what they were asking for on the one point that needed revision. She was far more clear so I was able to fix it up pretty quickly and resubmit. It was sent back again, now two points that were previously a 3 have been moved to a 2... I didn't change anything in those sections, how did they pass on Monday but fail on Friday?
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    snapdad wrote: »
    Thanks! From your sig it looks like you've been knocking out classes pretty quick as well. Has your Mentor tried to slow your progress at all? Since I have complete my original four classes this semester, my Mentor says I can only work on one additional class at a time. I thought I would at least be able to have two open at a time.

My mentor only likes to unlock 1 at a time. It hasn't been an issue since I only like to work on 1 at a time.

When I say unlock, I should say "Enroll". She unlocks all the learning resources and everything whenever I ask her. So, in the past, for example the TaskStream assignment class I took (Math) she unlocked learning resources for other classes while I was working on that, since you have down time.

Right now, I have 2 enrolled, because I told her I want to take the 2 exams (the MTA networking and Net+ are pretty much complimentary) the same day. She offered no push-back at all. But, I've made good on everything I said I would accomplish. So far, passed everything first try. If I start failing tests I could see her tightening the reigns some.

She's extremely fast in officially enrolling me when I pass a class though. Example, when I pass the two this coming Tuesday. I'll email her my test scores and tell her to enroll me into the next 2 security ones and to expect me to request vouchers right away. Within a few hours I'll be enrolled and voucher requests sent off.

I count myself extremely fortunate to have her as my mentor when I read some of the horror stories about some of the other ones.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Task 2 and Task 3 have been submitted for Supply Chain (Whew that was rough)

Starting on Risk Management now.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If anyone is currently dealing with TPV1 and may want to get into PMP, check out my PMP thread. WGU and Skillsoft (for students or alumni) has really become clutch. The 35 hours of formal education one needs for PMP is essentially free! (Well, courtesy of current and past tuition payments):D
  • Options
    SCIONTXSCIONTX Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If anyone is currently dealing with TPV1 and may want to get into PMP, check out my PMP thread. WGU and Skillsoft (for students or alumni) has really become clutch. The 35 hours of formal education one needs for PMP is essentially free! (Well, courtesy of current and past tuition payments)icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing! Getting started today. :)
  • Options
    On pace to finish the MBA in a year.

I've been becoming more and more impressed with the curriculum. The MBA degree program offers some excellent course assignments that mirror something you would see in a professional settings. Certs are a matter of just passing a test, this program actually forces you to put theory into motion. This type of learning works best for me.

Recieved Supply Chain back task 2 but resubmitted only missed 2 areas on the Rubric. Still waiting for task 3 to be graded.

After working on 4 courses and completing 2 almost 3 I can honestly say this is a really solid program. (This coming from someone who was highly skeptical with online universities).

***After passing my Risk Management exam this class should be a little easier than the rest.
  • Options
    Task 2 JCT2 came back accepted! Task 3 is now in the pipe awaiting it's fate. I just added social responsibility and risk management. I am working both social and risk at the same time I am getting aggressive on the task. I am hoping to get strategy and organization management completed as well before the end of september.

That would leave me with leadership, financial analysis, decision support, and the capstone.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Just finished my little Science fair project in INT1. Feels like I just graduated 6th grade again.
  • Options
    illuminusilluminus Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be starting WGU in September. I just got my Transfer Evaluation and I didn't see the technical writing course nor the Capstone project. Did they just forget to leave those off?
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Yes, they are not on the transfer evaluation. When I got my transfer evaluation I compared it to the pdf on the WGU site for my degree.
  • Options
    Almost done with Social Responsibility. I'll be submitting either tonight or tomorrow morning. Risk Management is coming up next.

3-4 more days till I find out if task 3 supply chain comes back :/
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got a 76% and 80% on the BNC1 and MGC1 pre-assessments, respectively, so I have them scheduled for next weekend.

I'm thinking I should be able to knock out CUV1 in about 3 weeks. If all goes well I should have my first 11 CUs out of the way by the end of August and will be well on my way to getting my BS in one term.

As for KET1, I'm waiting until I have 4-5 straight hours before I sit down and really start digging into it.
  • Options
    illuminus wrote: »
    I'm going to be starting WGU in September. I just got my Transfer Evaluation and I didn't see the technical writing course nor the Capstone project. Did they just forget to leave those off?

Are you asking if they're included in your degree plan or why did a class, etc you transfered did not meet the requirement?

If it's the latter, then the writing and Capstone will not transfer in. I had a technical writing class that I took at UMUC and it didn't transfer in (I already know the Capstone I completed, which was unrelated to IT wasn't going to transfer in).