Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    rurouni_songrurouni_song Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Once you get to the Microsoft classes examforce will be less helpful.

don't think i have any microsoft classes to take, just comptia, ciw, and oracle ones that are certificate ones. I would like to get microsoft certs later on thou, probably after i graduate, think this semester i might just put my all in it and try to zoom pass all the classes instead of taking it easy ( pretty much got throught both comptia A+ n CIW associates in around 3 weeks imagine the ammount of books i had to read and learn in 3 weeks lol >.<, i'm not to proud to admit it but i was slacking off pretty badly before then and not doing anything, now after that 3 week rush i think i'm pretty much ready to take it serious). I'm hoping to finish getting my degree by the end of the year or early next year

Thats 86 competency units in 6-9 months =x, maybe i'm putting to much expectation on myself but 29 of these units are in non essential classes like english, reasoning and problem solving, humanities and principles of management. Personally i think i can speed blitz pass these classes in a month or 2 easily. As for the rest we will see, really depends on how fast i can grasp the concepts for the certification classes.
    Course of study: BSIT in database admin at WGU

Studying Current certifications: CCNA

I'm pretty new at IT currently, even thou i have been using computers and fixing them since i was 9-10 years old lol. I want to become a database administrator or system admin and also know some java programing on the side and develope apps for ipad/iphone, any tips or help from more experienced proffesionals would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard the Oracle exams are a real B@.gif@. Overall 20-30 units a term is easily doable (not really easy, takes time and determination) and some people do a lot more. I've done at least 18 a term not really blazing through.
    What's your emphasis? If it's just straight IT then you're good to go. If you're in the DB emphasis then the Oracle exams are a real bear from what I've heard and WGU doesn't provide you with very much real guidance on passing the expert exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dwilliams2361dwilliams2361 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay I know I am getting ahead of myself with not even have taken the EWB2 yet (June 1st). I wanted to know about the HVT1 course what is that one about? I have already got the HVC1 waived and I am just trying to map out my future courses for the first semester. Thanks.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Passed my LUT1 assessment. Again, I over thought it and was sooo worried about doing it. Just put the camera in front of me looking down at an angle, and just glanced at my paper a few times. Woo done with English!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    BSIT emphasis on databases lol, guess i might be overly ambitious in thinking i can finish it all 86 credits in 1 semester. 2 might be possible thou

I'm pretty new at IT currently, even thou i have been using computers and fixing them since i was 9-10 years old lol. I want to become a database administrator or system admin and also know some java programing on the side and develope apps for ipad/iphone, any tips or help from more experienced proffesionals would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BSIT emphasis on databases lol, guess i might be overly ambitious in thinking i can finish it all 86 credits in 1 semester. 2 might be possible thou

I would really like to hear how that goes for you throughout your WGU career. I looked at the Databases track and it really would have been a good deal for me to take it, since I'm a SQL Server DBA. Oracle DBAs do, on average, make more money than SQL Server DBAs and it is much easier than I thought to flip/flop if needed. But I can make the same amount going the Management route with my level of experience plus a degree to back it up.

My advice: make sure though that you pick up some flavor of Unix (I mean Unix, not Linux...though Linux won't be a bad deal, but the big boys tend to go with the more expensive flavor). Most Oracle shops tend to be Unix shops as well (HP-UX, etc).
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've seen a couple posts in here about credit evaluation, can't really read eight pages right now to see if this has been covered, but What is the process for having credit evaluated? Meaning do I need to apply and enroll first or what, how far along in the process do I need to be?

I want to get my credits evaluated before I commit military TA to a school
  • Options
    You apply , get your transcripts in, do your intake exam (it's pretty easy), intake interview, they should have your transfer credits evaluated before you commit your TA to them. Have you got an AAS or AS? How old are your certs?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I've seen a couple posts in here about credit evaluation, can't really read eight pages right now to see if this has been covered, but What is the process for having credit evaluated? Meaning do I need to apply and enroll first or what, how far along in the process do I need to be?

I want to get my credits evaluated before I commit military TA to a school

After Tuesday, I can personally let you know. I plan on going through my Intake and then having my transcripts evaluated when my last one comes in. I know they recently changed policy that anything older than 5 years won't count, but I'm also hearing stories that stuff that is 10 years old will count. I'll know for sure when they get my last transcript which should be by the end of this week.

Will keep you posted.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    You apply , get your transcripts in, do your intake exam (it's pretty easy), intake interview, they should have your transfer credits evaluated before you commit your TA to them. Have you got an AAS or AS? How old are your certs?

No degree, though I have some "credits" through SMARTS and the course I am in right now supposedly gives about 24 credits at traditional colleges. I don't know how that works, given that the program is not ACE accredited, but supposedly the Education centers know how to get it done, I'll be hitting them up as soon as I graduate.

My A+ and Net plus were earned in 2009, and Sec+ this year, so all that should transfer. I am mainly worried about the SMARTS and ARRTS credits. We'll see.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My semester is almost over with. I just have to finish the 70-680, and so far the studying has not been to bad. My greatest difficulty is keeping tools sorted out since so many of them seem to do the same things icon_confused.gif

I'm hoping to take it next month, and then maybe knock of the 70-685 in-between semesters and gain the MCITP:EDST7
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Update on my experiences so far.

DISCLAIMER: I have done VERY little course work for my classes this semester. I somewhat expected this going into the program as a significant reason for pursuing my Master's at this point was to defer my student loans since there would be absolutely no way I could have afforded them due to my divorce and adjusting to a single income household (myself) once again. I also knew that going through a rigorous study regiment while dealing with the proceedings of the divorce as well as the emotional strain involved with adjusting to single life again and not being able to see my son as often. I anticipated I would have held up better than I have. Unfortunately my studies pretty much fell completely flat after passing the Network+ exam which was essentially just a now and then review for a few weeks leading up to the exam. So keep that in mind, I have little exposure to the actual course materials and routines yet - mostly a review on my experiences with my mentor.

Overall I'm fairly happy with my experience so far. My mentor has been great through these months and has been very understanding of my situation. Honestly, I figured I would get a lack of understanding after getting through few months after the passing of my Network+ in the first few weeks and telling him basically "look dude, I just don't have it in my right now after my life changing so much - I can barely find the energy and mental strength to climb out of bed and go to work". He agreed it sounded like I was in a tough situation, I wasn't quite sure he really was too happy with my lack of progress of basically not having done anything in three months, but he didn't press the point too much in a negative way. He offered good feedback on my options and provided just enough motivation to get back on the ball without being too pushy (as I've experienced before in other scenarios at other places). I thought that was nice, I expected someone with no understanding of how difficult my life could be at the moment and that there should/could be no excuses for not getting things done.

I had another recent call after the one prior he suggested I try to get a course done that was 4 papers and that's it. Would mean that come August, the start of my next term, that I would meet SAP and not be placed on probation. A goal I am still going to pursue, but the last week and this coming have been insane. Trying to sell off my big items in the house, pack up the rest of it and prepare for my move as my house closes on June 7th. To top it off, the ex is on vacation so I've had my almost 3 year old the whole time which while is an absolute blessing since I see him so little now did make things quite difficult to get much done during the time's he is awake. Work has also been very busy with me finalizing config's on 41 Juniper SRX's as I learn as I go and getting these ready for deployment. Still he was understanding, though I sensed his patience was wearing thing - perhaps the persona of those with PhD's is just buckle down and get it done.

That's pretty much my review for this point. I hope to expand on it more as time goes on. One main concern I have going into this program, one I believe Veritas shared - being able to do more in depth research and paper writing on security related topics as this is a Master's level program. I don't care to traverse a program that is a Master's program that entails mostly passing certification exams with the main writing/research done at the end in the form of the thesis. I hope to be able to perform some more in depth research along the way and write some papers based on that research. I haven't received a precise answer on what exactly is involved but I have been assured it's strictly not all exam's to pass the classes and there are research topics and papers involved throughout the security courses so time will tell I suppose.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I would really like to hear how that goes for you throughout your WGU career. I looked at the Databases track and it really would have been a good deal for me to take it, since I'm a SQL Server DBA. Oracle DBAs do, on average, make more money than SQL Server DBAs and it is much easier than I thought to flip/flop if needed. But I can make the same amount going the Management route with my level of experience plus a degree to back it up.

My advice: make sure though that you pick up some flavor of Unix (I mean Unix, not Linux...though Linux won't be a bad deal, but the big boys tend to go with the more expensive flavor). Most Oracle shops tend to be Unix shops as well (HP-UX, etc).

Ya i have pretty much 0 experience wiht Unix and linus enviroments, going to have to get thouse OS and play around with them a lil. But currently i'm planing on changing my program to BSIT security or Networks, since the certificates in thouse programs are alot more revelance ( i don't beleive the CIW certificates are worth much) I especially want the CCNA and MCITP, figured i can always get my Oracle certification after i graduate and the CCNA would help me alot more find a job in the industry so that i can some work experience in the field under my belt.

• Options
    msteinhilber, sorry to hear about your problems at home. Hang in there, and be strong.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    msteinhilber, sorry to hear about your problems at home. Hang in there, and be strong.

+1. Hang in there, man.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□

Okay here is a little pick me up. See your son more and once that house sells and your out forget about other relationships and make one with your son. The wife just move on from her she is a thorn that pricked you and now it is time to heal. Yes I know what you mean with not having the insipiration but it is time to get back into believing into yourself and let her worry about things a little bit.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    msteinhilber, I can relate, but don't fall into the trap of letting it all feel like a mountain is on your shoulders. Being a single dad for many years, with 2 young daughters and dealing with how lawyers/the State can make a man look like the "deadbeat" that many of us are considered until all the facts are presented. Depression, anger, fear, .... all that stuff can weigh on a person, but I usually try and look at it this way.

1- The truth ALWAYS comes out, it may take some time, especially when kids are involved, but just have faith.
    2- Being religious, albeit not on the top of the all time saints list, I still believe that the big man upstairs won't put more on my plate than I can handle. Not everyone has "faith," but to me, what's the worst that come about if it if I am wrong?
    3- Don't lose focus on what is at hand. Your mental wellness. Your kid is the one who is depending on you, which can bring it's own stresses, but look at it as enjoying the time before he doesnt want to be around you ( as in the teen years), LOL.
    4- Don't let her win. I don't know the situation, but I can tell you that once the dust settles, does it really matter who is right or wrong? From a personal standpoint, I am waiting for time to prove to all involved who was right or wrong. Instead, put that energy into not losing who you are and what you want.
    5-Don't put off the school or personal goals, you can't bring back time and I wasted several years. Who did it hurt in the long run, ME.
    6- If all the above doesn't help, then think like Gunny Highway and " Don't give the p$#^& the satisfaction!"....

I guess I am trying to echo what other's have said, don't give up, give in, or give away your self worth.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Update on my experiences so far.

DISCLAIMER: I have done VERY little course work for my classes this semester.

Hey brother, keep your head up. I know that sometimes fall apart and you are experiencing "life" right now. Handle your business, keep it moving and when things get better, you will jump right back in.

Things are going to be ok. For real.
  • Options
    Ok, as promised I would fill you and perhaps any noobs who may read this how my Intake went. The EC was rushing through questions. This dude tried hard to get me to start on July 1st and without any feedback on my transcripts OR my financial award package. I told him flat out that I was going to start in August. I have stuff going on in July (I'm going on Vacation for the 4th and got some other things going on) and I wanted the status on my Financial Aid AND my past course work. He said he would put a rush, to which I responded there should be no rush since I'm going to start August 1st. Since I have the same EC as motogpman (I was one of the people who PM'ed him...I wasn't ready to really come out with that until my intake was over), I was pretty firm in what I wanted and I could hear the fear in his voice in that he knew I meant business. I knew that I didn't have to commit to anything until August. The guy also wanted to postpone the Intake, which I also refused. I told him, "Look, I made time to deal with you three times. I know I'm going to do WGU, with or without you, so we're going to get this out of the way now." He complied, reluctantly, but complied. He asked me standard questions, about if I knew what competancy-based learning was. I told him yes. I told him I didn't expect my mentor to do anything but answer questions if I got stuck on something, providing that the mentor/tasks are clear in the beginning. Then he went through telling me the school policies and what was expected. My e-mail address would be @wgu.edu account and that's how I'll be contacted. I will most likely forward it to my regular personal account.

Then I was transferred to Financial Aid when I spoke to a "lovely" young lady who really didn't seem to give a crap to talk to me. She told me that my award would be handled a couple of weeks after I started. That didn't sound right, because I know that you need to know what your award is so that you can plan to pay for stuff out of pocket. In my case, I want to borrow the whole amount, which seems doable for at least the first year. I told her I'd call back sometime in July and if I got her, I'm gonna want to speak to her boss. My package should be done by then....

So far, I seem to be getting crap. I'm willing to muddle my way through it though, but I can only take so much. I will be getting a call back from the EC in a couple of weeks. The only thing I've gotten from WGU so far is an e-mail address (that does work...lol. ) Student discounts, here I come...lol.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Ok, after replying to Msteinhilber, I forgot to reply on my saga. Erp, I am glad that you stood your ground, as I did. I will PM you my new counselor if needed, but sounds like you are past that point. I agree with your PM, which we can discuss more because now I am sure that there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

In these times, that this great country is facing.... God I love my country, ..... I think that companies need to focus that much more on "hand shake" type of business. I guess I am getting older, but I was always taught that your word means everything, treat everyone the same ( dollars do not but you respect in my book, put up or shut up), and everyone has a boss. I have learned that if you conduct business the same as you EXPECT to be treated, then you are one step ahead of the competition. As long as it is sincere, that is.

Soooo... I have a new counselor and am happy that this person at least followed through with what he said he was going to do. Being from a customer service/professional background, I will follow through with my promise to relay my pleasure with his performance to his superiors. Too many times people only get complaints and not enough positive feedback when they do a good job. I am paying for a service after all, in the end, WGU is working for me and I am working for myself, if that makes sense.

I have not gotten the "tons" of spam email from WGU since and I am taking everything at face value from here on out. I suggest that anyone who may feel that they are getting the run around, ask for help here or pick up the phone and call WGU. Nothing better than to hear a voice than emails, at least things can't get misinterpreted via text. I had a lot of pm's from fellow TE members offering help as well, which just reinforces my view that TE is THE best group of people out there. Just my 2 cents.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Then I was transferred to Financial Aid when I spoke to a "lovely" young lady who really didn't seem to give a crap to talk to me. She told me that my award would be handled a couple of weeks after I started. That didn't sound right, because I know that you need to know what your award is so that you can plan to pay for stuff out of pocket. In my case, I want to borrow the whole amount, which seems doable for at least the first year. I told her I'd call back sometime in July and if I got her, I'm gonna want to speak to her boss. My package should be done by then....

I can't speak for anyone else here, but that is exactly how my financial aid has been distributed each term since I started. After you accept your award letter it will typically take another couple weeks before they even receive your funds, I don't think anyone is actually expecting you to pay the difference (if there is one) instantly at the start of a term. From everything I have seen they are pretty lenient.
  • Options
    My tuition is being paid by the VA and last term I was in my 5th month of the term before WGU got paid. My first term I was in the third month. They even will work with you for payments to make up difference if your financial aid doesn't cover it all.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I need to contact WGU, I'm done with 12 CU in my first month - got my award letter and accepted it but I haven't seen no funds to me yet... I am suppose to get $1700 over tuition to cover other expenses.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Hmm. Im still playing the tuition waiting game as well, although i've not started yet (July 1). I would imagine that financial aid would be much faster than this, especially if someone needs to buy things outside of just paying tuition.
  • Options
    I need to contact WGU, I'm done with 12 CU in my first month - got my award letter and accepted it but I haven't seen no funds to me yet... I am suppose to get $1700 over tuition to cover other expenses.
    What type of program are you in? It may not be a problem on the WGU side, but on wherever the funds are supposed to come from. I'm in the VA Chapter 31 program.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmm. Im still playing the tuition waiting game as well, although i've not started yet (July 1). I would imagine that financial aid would be much faster than this, especially if someone needs to buy things outside of just paying tuition.

Ha! You guys have it easy icon_wink.gif

Back when I was working on my AAS degree at my community college, I had a Pell Grant that would cover everything for the first semester as soon as the government applied it! Would you believe that the server that had my data in it crashed, and the government didn't have a backup? I kid you not, the FAFSA documents were lost and it took 6 months of me fighting and nagging my financial counselor for it to be sorted out. We had to redo all the forms and re-submit them. After it was all done I had to pay for the semester, and I got a check in the mail for what I had to pay for.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    My semester is almost over with. I just have to finish the 70-680, and so far the studying has not been to bad. My greatest difficulty is keeping tools sorted out since so many of them seem to do the same things icon_confused.gif

I'm hoping to take it next month, and then maybe knock of the 70-685 in-between semester and gain the MCITP:EDST7

The important thing to remember is that if both tools do the same thing, its usually preferred that you use DISM (to MS anyway). DISM was designed to converge the abilities of many different tools so only one EXE had to be used, whereas there were tons for the Vista deployment.

The vista tools are still there for backwards compatibility and transitions sake.
  • Options
    Unfortunately in order to learn the Vista tools you would have to be studying for an exam other than just the client. I learned very little about the deployment methods while studying for the 70-620 as the objectives barely covered them. You would have to study for the 70-622 to learn deployment.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I would imagine that things would be a bit slow after I accept my award letter, but I just wanted an award letter to accept before I started, as opposed to starting before I know what is covered. But I would imagine it would take time after I accepted for WGU to get paid. I just didn't care for the lackadaisical response I received from Financial Aid. Thank you Spigety for the feedback, as well as the others for giving me an idea of how FA and WGU are handled. Most colleges, universities that I'm aware of are very slow at financial aid, but it is more on the Feds' side than the schools. Though the school MAY be a bit slow as well.

Motogpman, thanks for helping me out as well. I think you're right; you worked that guy over so good, that I may not need to go with another counselor (I'm all but done with him). I still don't like the fact that he sounds like a used car salesman and he will have to work on that. However you are definitely indicative of the saying "Don't mess with Texas." LMAO.

At this point, the only two things I'm working on prior to taking EWB (which I forgot to mention was also discussed with the EC, but I had read about it from either this thread and the other one) is passing Security+ and dealing with a followup call in a couple of weeks. I bought the Transcender exam from an authorized discount retailer (saved $20) and got 67% correct. I have more work to do before I take another practice exam. I want to read up on what I'm weak in and take it a few more times. I'm shooting for the end of this month to schedule it. Then upon passing, will shoot that over to the EC. I would do the same for Project+, but there isn't anytime for that. That one I'll go through the motions. :)

I will also reiterate that for the most part TE folks here are extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgable. It's a rarity to find a place like that anywhere. I thank you for that and it makes me feel like I'm not alone in this journey and/or I can share my journey with others who are on theirs OR are beginning theirs. I haven't told anyone in "real" life that I'm going back to school yet (even my fiancee), so it's really great that I have an outlet. My thanks for that. :)
  • Options
    What book are you using for the Sec+ erpadmin?