Options

How To Begin The MCSE 2003

Everyone,

I have decided to begin my MCSE 2003 & MCITP:EA. I'm pretty confident that I can finish 2K3 within a year.

My question is how should I begin studying for the exams ? which exams should come first (70-290, 291, 93, 43)...........is there a hierarchy or a better way to tackle certain MCP's first ? your input will be very valuable. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Generally people go in order by number, but you dont have to.

a lot of people find 270 really difficult, so 290 may be a better starting point.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suggest the getting your MCP with the 290. This puts yo clearly in the "Server Support" class rather than the 70-270, which is client. My suggestion is this:

70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    Your design exam.
    Then your electives and for those I suggest some enterprise level application exam like the SQL Server or SharePoint config exams.
    70-680 (Win 7)
    MCITP Upgrade exams

I suggest this path as it will be the fastest for studying. It won't get you the certs the fastest, though.
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    When would be a reasonable amount of time to complete this
  • Options
    When would be a reasonable amount of time to complete this
    I completed my MCSE: Security and my MCITP: EA within a year and 6 months. It really depends on how much experience you have.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I completed my MCSE: Security and my MCITP: EA within a year and 6 months. It really depends on how much experience you have.

Wow, thats baller icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Wow, thats baller icon_cool.gif

Actually I lied...
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Enterprise Administrator[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]May 16, 2008[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]270 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jul 10, 2007[/FONT]

My first MCSE track exam was the 270. That's 311 days... Wow. That is insane. I recall how much my wife griped about my studies back then. now I see why.

I dedicated 12 hrs on my days off and 1.5 hours on work days to it. That's roughly 20 hrs a week. I had some experience with Server 2003. Tons with general networking and trouble shooting. So I was not starting form 0.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    You might like to consider ignoring the 270 (XP) and go for the 680 (Win7) first. It gets you the MCTS immediately.

Without experience - the rest are harder. I am rattling through these at 1 a week now - I have the experience, just not the paperwork.

I would suggest the order as 290 followed by 294 to understand Server and AD/GPOs etc. Then 291 and 293 together. Most is the same knowledge applied in different ways (configuring+operate/planning). Do those two exams on the same day! You do need a good grounding in networking/IP.

Then whatever design/electives take your interest/are relevant to your work.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Be a man and take the 270.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good advice there by Fugazi1000, but I'd recommend the usual route that Robert mentioned. An exam builds on the previous one, and yes the 290 is a good start. Make sure you lab the stuff, makes the material stick in the brain and helps you gain a better understanding so that future exams are easier.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com