Options

In-house Technical Support

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I am wondering what are some common software and hardware problems that employees experience? I'm more interested in software problems as they are probably the hardest thing to solve sometimes. Can anyone give me some examples of bizarre software issues. hardware is probably much easier to repair or fix from my opinion

I might be able to get a job doing tech support in-house. I was told that I had to troubleshoot software/hardware problems.

How do you become good at the job?

The only fear I have is not being able to solve the problem in front of the employee (as I have never done troubleshooting at the corporation level)...

I'm a PC user with slightly more knowledge than a regular user. I have the A+ textbook...but not sure if this will be enough.

I created this Example: if a user had a word document open in front of his screen. worked on it for 5 hours. didn't save at all. suddenly, hit the reset button on the machine. the word file is gone. sometimes it creates a recovery file. but what happens if it doesn't? the file is gone and the user is telling me to recover it??? pretty much it can't help to get it back?

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    laptop wrote: »
    I am wondering what are some common software and hardware problems that employees experience? I'm more interested in software problems as they are probably the hardest thing to solve sometimes. Can anyone give me some examples of bizarre software issues. hardware is probably much easier to repair or fix from my opinion

I might be able to get a job doing tech support in-house. I was told that I had to troubleshoot software/hardware problems.

How do you become good at the job?

The only fear I have is not being able to solve the problem in front of the employee (as I have never done troubleshooting at the corporation level)...

I'm a PC user with slightly more knowledge than a regular user. I have the A+ textbook...but not sure if this will be enough.

I created this Example: if a user had a word document open in front of his screen. worked on it for 5 hours. didn't save at all. suddenly, hit the reset button on the machine. the word file is gone. sometimes it creates a recovery file. but what happens if it doesn't? the file is gone and the user is telling me to recover it??? pretty much it can't help to get it back?

Software/Hardware problems will change depending on the company. I worked in publishing and has to troubleshoot many adobe apps. Worked for an architectural firm and had to troubleshoot autocad and other types of apps. The more experience you get, the better you will get. When im in a new environment, i might spend some on the support forums for apps they use to get a feel for troubleshooting it. Remember, no one knows everything!

The bottom line, if you are a good troubleshooter, you will be able to figure out the problem. Most users understand that not all problems can be resolved immediately. So im sure you will have time to research issues when you are stumped, so dont sweat it too much.

Regarding the user who rebooted the computer, lol, sometimes things get lost. If they didnt save, dont have a backup and there is no recovery file, well, they are out of luck. Thats a good time to discuss some proactive ways of preventing this from happening again(turn on auto save, remind the user to save every so often....).

Google is your friend. Chances are if you see an issue, someone else has too, and the resolution is online some where. Dont panic, approach things logically and you will be ok! Good luck!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Regarding the user who rebooted the computer, lol, sometimes things get lost. If they didnt save, dont have a backup and there is no recovery file, well, they are out of luck. Thats a good time to discuss some proactive ways of preventing this from happening again(turn on auto save, remind the user to save every so often....).

Google is your friend. Chances are if you see an issue, someone else has too, and the resolution is online some where. Dont panic, approach things logically and you will be ok! Good luck!

i was bout to say the same bout the recovery thing...they are S.O.L.!!! it is what it is....

and yeah, google is your friend...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    As long as you're always learning you'll be fine. After a few weeks you will have seen enough of the most common issues at your company and you'll know exactly what to do in most situations. Just keep learning. Don't be that guy who's always complaining about how much better Win 98 was and all these changes suck and refuses to learn anything new. When a tough problem comes up go and help solve it, don't pass it on to someone else because it's not a simple problem.