My systems admin who made 1000 on 290 says this...

brandellbrandell Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
On the sims, work the microsoft press book examples. Why? Because it isn't just you get them right, but HOW you got to the answer. MS has its own way of getting from A - Z. For example Disk management. Me, I right click my computer then manage to get to it. MS might want you to take the long path to get to it instead.

Not sure how dead on this is, but the guy did get a 1000 on the test icon_wink.gif

Comments

• qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's something I had wondered about. I just took the test and, didn't pass but, it was more because of what I didn't know than the sims.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've yet to take a MS exam with a sim component, but I seriously hope that is not true. With test takers under a time constraint, they should be allowed to take shortcuts.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've taken an MS test with a SIM component but I don't think MS even approves of me saying that. That being said some avenues of execution wont work on the sim for the exam I took. I had to try different ways to get to the same result.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Some sims I've done have not allowed my usual shorcuts but the questions are explained well enough as to give you a clue as to where you should be looking and what method to take.

e.g using the control panel access.............and complete the following task.

Some of the newer exams with sims i've attempted seem to have removed even this component, for example if you were required to do a task that involved the use of Active Directory Users & Computers, the sim would actually start on that screen or there would be a tab on the bottom of the screen marked AD Users & Computers giving you a large clue as to where you should be. All other options would be locked out giving you no other choice but to use this method.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brandell wrote: »
    On the sims, work the microsoft press book examples. Why? Because it isn't just you get them right, but HOW you got to the answer. MS has its own way of getting from A - Z. For example Disk management. Me, I right click my computer then manage to get to it. MS might want you to take the long path to get to it instead.

Not sure how dead on this is, but the guy did get a 1000 on the test icon_wink.gif
    This is incorrect. MS Learning has stated it is the final result that is graded and not the path taken to get there. However, completing tasks that are not required could cause a penalty. I have quoted the article from MS several times on this site but cannot seem to find the link today.
    EDIT: Found it-
    Regardless of the performance-based item type, the candidate is evaluated on the accuracy of the end result, not the path that they took to complete the task.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam.aspx#tab4
  • brandellbrandell Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is incorrect. MS Learning has stated it is the final result that is graded and not the path taken to get there. However, completing tasks that are not required could cause a penalty. I have quoted the article from MS several times on this site but cannot seem to find the link today.

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exams

Good to know, he just felt it was that way.
    Actually on my test some of the shortcuts I tried did not work. I achieved the final result by going down a path which worked icon_cool.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    earweed wrote: »
    Actually on my test some of the shortcuts I tried did not work. I achieved the final result by going down a path which worked icon_cool.gif

Amen to that....

To the original poster, the only way you will know for yourself is take the exam.
    If you study the material and do the labs, you will not have any problem on the sims. There are no tricks, no special way to accomplish the tasks.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exams
    This is specific to performance-based labs (like 83-640) where you have access to a fully functional computer - in which case it doesn't care how you got there, only that you got there.

For a simulation (like 70-29x might have) it's likely that all possible paths to the result are not available but only 1 or 2 of the most common.

For example I can set the screen saver by going in the control panel and the display applet etc, or by right clicking on the desktop and clicking properties. I could also edit the registry directly. On a sim the 1st one is definitely going to be there; the 2nd is also likely to be there; the 3rd not a chance. :)

On a performance-based lab I could have used the silly registry method and still passed.
    astorrs wrote: »
    This is specific to performance-based labs (like 83-640) where you have access to a fully functional computer - in which case it doesn't care how you got there, only that you got there.

For a simulation (like 70-29x might have) it's likely that all possible paths to the result are not available but only 1 or 2 of the most common.

For example I can set the screen saver by going in the control panel and the display applet etc, or by right clicking on the desktop and clicking properties. I could also edit the registry directly. On a sim the 1st one is definitely going to be there; the 2nd is also likely to be there; the 3rd not a chance. :)

On a performance-based lab I could have used the silly registry method and still passed.

MS still considers sims performance based. They just aren't labs.

You are correct that you cannot choose any path in the sims, but my point is that any path you can choose is accepted,
    Q. Which exams include performance-based items?

A. To date, the following exams include performance-based items:

• Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment

• Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (core Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer on Windows Server 2003 exams)

• Exam 70-293: Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

• Exam 70-294: Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    • Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance
    • Exam 70-620: TS: Microsoft Windows Vista, Configuring

• Exam 83-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (This exam will gradually replace the current version of the exam: Exam 70-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring.)
    Note that this list is subject to change at any time. Some exceptions apply in selected regions.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Some of the sims that were on the tests I've taken actually wont even let you go further until you take the long way.
    Example, you can't add a group by just typing in the group name, you have to do a search so all the groups show up, then you pick the group that you want.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Super99 wrote: »
    Some of the sims that were on the tests I've taken actually wont even let you go further until you take the long way.
    Example, you can't add a group by just typing in the group name, you have to do a search so all the groups show up, then you pick the group that you want.

I've noticed that on the Transcender stuff too.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brandell wrote: »

There is definitely truth to this. Certain ways to get to a certain place won't be enabled in the sim. I don't think you can open anything from a command prompt.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    There is definitely truth to this. Certain ways to get to a certain place won't be enabled in the sim. I don't think you can open anything from a command prompt.

I believe that what the admin was implying was that if you did not do it in the proscribed manner, you would get it wrong. There might be a couple of paths enabled in the sim depending on the question - or it might be only one. But the point is any method that is available is accepted as correct. Obviously if you only know one way to get to device manager and it doesn't work... well, you probably should not be taking this test any way.
    I believe that what the admin was implying was that if you did not do it in the proscribed manner, you would get it wrong. There might be a couple of paths enabled in the sim depending on the question - or it might be only one. But the point is any method that is available is accepted as correct. Obviously if you only know one way to get to device manager and it doesn't work... well, you probably should not be taking this test any way.
    +1 And if you are doing his method of working every example and every exercise and case scenario and extra practices...You will KNOW every path to get there. If you come to a point where you can't perform what you need, you'll have already done the same thing another way. That's how he made 1000, he studied his *** off.