Options

GeekSquad Opportunities on LI

nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know I know...before you flame away, please read on.

I know that it's not considered a "real IT job", but if anyone is between jobs, or looking for some kind of entry level experience, I have opportunities available for you with Best Buy/GeekSquad.

To be honest, I learned a lot from my time there. As some know, I was a supervisor for a very long time with the company, and have recently stepped down to focus more on schooling/certifications. You'll have hands on experience with building computers, diagnosing OS and hardware issues, hardware replacement, etc. Like I said, the real basics. There is also opportunity to grow as a full time Agent in the store (benefits, 401k, tuition assistance, etc), Double Agent (on site technicians) and as a Special Agent (on site agent focusing more on business needs).

Feel free to PM Me. The opportunity is on LI, near Queens. If you're looking to get in at another location, feel free to PM me as well and I will help you out to the best of my ability. Hourly wage is anywhere from 10-13 per hour. This is a part time job.

Comments

• Options
    nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry guys, not trying to spam, just want to bring this to the front. I've received quite a few emails/ims/messages about the positions. If anyone else is interested, please let me know. I'm looking to help anyone in need.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've filled out that online application questionnaire and been to the local Geek Squad headquarters twice for an interview for a double agent position. Instead of interviewing me they asked me to take a test. Both times I went in I would answer all the questions correctly up until I get to the Apple questions and they end up turning me away because I know nothing about Apple products. Is it mandatory for a double agent to know Apple stuff or something? Any suggestions on how to get myself into a job as a double agent?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nanashi wrote: »
    I've filled out that online application questionnaire and been to the local Geek Squad headquarters twice for an interview for a double agent position. Instead of interviewing me they asked me to take a test. Both times I went in I would answer all the questions correctly up until I get to the Apple questions and they end up turning me away because I know nothing about Apple products. Is it mandatory for a double agent to know Apple stuff or something? Any suggestions on how to get myself into a job as a double agent?

Apple is a relatively small part of Best Buy's sales but it is an important part and may be larger in your market than in some others. Double Agent is a decent job and you will see so many crazy things... If you want the job as a DA, yes, you will need some basic Apple skills and some basic Linux skills. Since Linux seems to have died in the netbook market, Apple is by far more important of the two.

I have never heard of giving a test, though. Not something that is standard.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nanashi wrote: »

CBT Nuggets or some Mac video tutorials
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Since Linux seems to have died in the netbook market, Apple is by far more important of the two.

icon_lol.gif

but THIS year was THE year of the linux desktop!!!! icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif

but THIS year was THE year of the Linux desktop!!!! icon_cry.gif

Wait for it, wait for it, Linux vs. Windows FLAME WARS! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif

but THIS year was THE year of the linux desktop!!!! icon_cry.gif

Isn't every year supposed to be THE year?
  • Options
    nx1no wrote: »
    I know I know...before you flame away, please read on.

I know that it's not considered a "real IT job", but if anyone is between jobs, or looking for some kind of entry level experience, I have opportunities available for you with Best Buy/GeekSquad.

Just so you know there are a number of agents that take part in these forums. I work for the Geek Squad part time and got started in IT with them. I worked as a Counter Ops, CIA, DA and DCI before I broke into a more formal role in IT. Where I work, in additon to myself (MCSE: Security, Sec+, MCITP: DBA, Enterprise Admin, EDA7 among others) there are software engineers, a senior software engineer who does mostly work on Linux systems for large companies, and another Sys Admin. These are all part timers of course. But the full timers are amazingly smart students who have some of the best HW tech and soft skills of anyone I have seen.

So I will defend you from the flames till my own death! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    It's a good way to get your feet wet if you lack the experience, need something to fill in while your are between jobs, or something part-time. I was lucky enough to get started in a small mom / pop shop which I still visit when I am nearby.

I almost recently applied for a part time job at an Office Depot location for a little extra $$$, and to keep my home computer skills fresh.

As somebody that has worked for Apple in the past and uses both M$ and Linux at home / work.. I will be staying out of the "flame war".
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apple is a relatively small part of Best Buy's sales but it is an important part and may be larger in your market than in some others. Double Agent is a decent job and you will see so many crazy things... If you want the job as a DA, yes, you will need some basic Apple skills and some basic Linux skills. Since Linux seems to have died in the netbook market, Apple is by far more important of the two.

I have never heard of giving a test, though. Not something that is standard.

Yeah it's just a bunch of multiple choice questions on a computer at the local Geek Squad/district offices.