Options

crimal justice degree

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Alright so I really like technology and I'm almost done with my Associates (signature) but I've been thing about becoming a police officer. One of the reasons is because I can't find jobs in IT and another reason is I want to help people. But I was also wondering if anyone knew of any IT jobs/careers that required a CJ degree?? The only thing I found on google was forensics. Maybe I was using the wrong words to search in.

I was thinking maybe I could be a police officer for a few years and then do work in IT.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alright so I really like technology and I'm almost done with my Associates (signature) but I've been thing about becoming a police officer. One of the reasons is because I can't find jobs in IT and another reason is I want to help people. But I was also wondering if anyone knew of any IT jobs/careers that required a CJ degree?? The only thing I found on Google was forensics. Maybe I was using the wrong words to search in.

I was thinking maybe I could be a police officer for a few years and then do work in IT.

I think someone else talked about this last year, but I am not sure where. I would do a search through TE on forensics since that is the only place I can think of within Law Enforcement, unless you go for the FBI.
  • Options
    Thanks. I was searching through TE but I couldn't find anything but I'll keep searching though.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright so I really like technology and I'm almost done with my Associates (signature) but I've been thing about becoming a police officer. One of the reasons is because I can't find jobs in IT and another reason is I want to help people. But I was also wondering if anyone knew of any IT jobs/careers that required a CJ degree?? The only thing I found on google was forensics. Maybe I was using the wrong words to search in.

Are you looking into maybe Federal Service? I know there were a lot of opportunities in the Federal system with some specialization in IT. The best chance though would be get established in an Agency, and volunteer to help out on the investigations that could be helped out by your IT skills.

If there are any openings in your IT department, you pretty much already have a foot in the door.

Most jobs are still going to be looking for some sort of BS degree.

Don't work in a jail!
  • Options
    Trust me. I don't plan on working in a jail lol. The only place I'm working on in IT is certifications. I might end up with a fulltime job and just goto school part time so I can work in IT. I was thinking about working for the government but alot of the jobs are far away.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is the perfect thread for me to post in haha. The perfect combination between IT and Criminal Justice is either working for the FBI or DoD (Department of Defense). I think becoming a special agent in the FBI just requires a passing of clearance tests and a B.A. in Crim with a high GPA.

I was faced with the same situation when I first grad'd with Crim Justice but I loved IT too much.

I def agree with the not working as a correctional officer in jail. Personally, I don't think I could handle it but I heard it definitely changes who you are drastically over time.

If you truly love IT, I'd say hang in there (as hard as it is right now, believe me i know :P), it will eventually pay off; grab more certs along your searches.

The new CyberWatch movement is underway and is something to look at if you're interested in Security. See http://www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray/it-certifications-and-dod-directive-8570-01-m/

If it comes down to wanting to be an officer, taking the job search issue out of the equation, I would agree with the posts above and definitely take the forensics course. Most of the officers I know say its very rewarding but can be stressful at times.

Hope this helps!