Cisco 2611XM SHDSL Config

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi All,

I am new to the CCNA Forum and Subject! I have just had my ISP set up an ADSL connection for me at home and I wanted to configure a Cisco 2611XM router as the DTE.

I have an SHDSL interface on the router which is where my RJ11 from my phone line will plug into. This will ofcourse be my WAN Interface, can anyone help me with the configuration of this? What technical details I need before setup?

I will be using a Fast Ethernet Interface for the LAN. I am happy to configure this by myself.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I wouldn't worry too much about making it your DTE.

Just hang it off one of the ports from your providers modem/router and create your own private LAN.

If you actually want to replace your ISP's modem well, they could have MAC filtering so they'll know if you're not using their equipment...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    SHDSL isn't the same as ADSL so it won't work.
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Yeh, you need an ATM adsl interface, you need to check out setting up dialer interface properties.

Quick HOWTO: Configuring Cisco DSL Routers
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    Thank you for all your help.

I guess that will be a total no no!
    RS_MCP wrote: »
    I guess that will be a total no no!
    You need a WIC-1ADSL if you want ADSL on your 2600XM. Only problem is that it only supports ADSL 1 so you'd be stuck with 8Mbps maximum. If you want ADSL 2 support then you need a HWIC-1ADSL which doesn't work in a 2600XM so you're pretty much stuck with this one unfortunately.
    Hi Guys,

I have managed to find an ADSL interface card for the router, maybe this could work after some configuration?

Also, bearing in mind the technicalities behind it, such as ISP responding on their side?

Let me know what you guys think?

:)
    I have managed to find an ADSL interface card for the router, maybe this could work after some configuration?

Also, bearing in mind the technicalities behind it, such as ISP responding on their side?
    What card is it? WIC-1ADSL or HWIC-1ADSL?
    It is a "HWIC 1 ADSL".
    It is a "HWIC 1 ADSL".
    As I previously posted, HWICs won't work in a 2600XM. You need at minimum an 1841 to handle HWICs.

Assuming you do get a router that can take HWICs, you will be able to configure it to do what you want and handle your ADSL connection.
    Will a WIC-1ADSL work on a 2611XM?

Why would a HWIC1ADSL not work on a 2611XM if it is higher than 1841?
    Will a WIC-1ADSL work on a 2611XM?
    Yes but you'll be stuck with ADSL 1 speeds. Read my post above :P
    The model numbers don't work like that. Cisco have several performance brackets for routers. The 1841 came out after the 2600XM. I wouldn't rely on the fact that a number is higher to mean it is newer/faster anyway even within a particular bracket because Cisco can and do change their system.

Low end branch routers = 1700 -> 1800 -> 1900
    Mid range branch routers = 2600 -> 2800 -> 2900
    High end branch routers = 3600 -> 3800 -> 3900

The current generation routers are the 1900/2900/3900 series which are collectively called ISR G2 (Integrated Services Router Generation 2). The 1800/2800/3800 series are called ISR G1 but used to be just plain ISR.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    HWIC(High-Speed WIC) not supported on the 2600 series routers.

1800 series is a newer ISR router platform. Router aren't necessarily better because the series numbers are higher.
    Hi,

Its just when you said a minimum of 1841, I automatically thought higher numbered routers would work.

:)