Options

Just got a great job offer today!

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
I started shooting out my resume last Saturday to see if I can get any job offers (I was hoping to switch to a new job by the end of May). I got a callback on Monday in regards to a low level IT job in a large healthcare system here in Southern California. I decided to go into the interview and after 15 minutes into the interview, the hiring managers felt like I would be underutilized at the position I was applying for and hired me on the spot for Helpdesk Tier II for around 44K a year and they also want me to spend a couple of hours a day with one of their administrators to train me into more of an administration role.

This has been an awesome epic week. Thanks for all the good advice on these forums! I'm going to go home and watch Spartacus to treat myself (awesome show!)
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started shooting out my resume last Saturday to see if I can get any job offers (I was hoping to switch to a new job by the end of May). I got a callback on Monday in regards to a low level IT job in a large healthcare system here in Southern California. I decided to go into the interview and after 15 minutes into the interview, the hiring managers felt like I would be underutilized at the position I was applying for and hired me on the spot for Helpdesk Tier II for around 44K a year and they also want me to spend a couple of hours a day with one of their administrators to train me into more of an administration role.

This has been an awesome epic week. Thanks for all the good advice on these forums! I'm going to go home and watch Spartacus to treat myself (awesome show!)

Good job. I am glad things are turning around for you.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Good job. I am glad things are turning around for you.

No kidding! Totally time to move on from my current job. I feel like I can't learn anything new here!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No kidding! Totally time to move on from my current job. I feel like I can't learn anything new here!

I know that feeling. So have you put in your two weeks yet? When do you start at the new place?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I know that feeling. So have you put in your two weeks yet? When do you start at the new place?

They want me to start on the 19th... so I gave ONE weeks notice. Not happy to have to do it like that, but the System Administrator understood.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great News! see like i told someone before on this forum, there are plenty of IT jobs in Southern California, you just have to look and be reasonable with your demands. You might end up getting offered a better position right on the spot like you just proved today! icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

They definitely like you if they already want to train you for higher positions. That place surely seems like a great score for a long term company. Keep studying and by this time next year you will be in the near 60k no doubt! icon_study.gif

oh yeah and if your old company didnt even bother to fight for you to stay, then you should smile and realize you are moving to a better place where they do want you! you dont deserve to stay in a place where they dont want you around or are willing to fight for you. Forget those people and those kinds of places. Its about your life and your needs and safety! good stuff my man!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    chrisone wrote: »

oh yeah and if your old company didnt even bother to fight for you to stay, then you should smile and realize you are moving to a better place where they do want you! you dont deserve to stay in a place where they dont want you around or are willing to fight for you. Forget those people and those kinds of places. Its about your life and your needs and safety! good stuff my man!

Question. If the company did fight for you, would you stay even if they countered with an equal offer to keep you?

I don't think I would. I think once you give your notice, that's it. You should be prepared to walk out the door.

There are a multitude of reasons why I would not stay.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Question. If the company did fight for you, would you stay even if they countered with an equal offer to keep you?

I don't think I would. I think once you give your notice, that's it. You should be prepared to walk out the door.

There are a multitude of reasons why I would not stay.

The problem with the company I'm at right now is that they're losing business left and right (for non-IT reasons) and they don't really have the business to justify giving me a pay increase. I was making literally $13 an hour for the last year with them but I was like "Ok... this is my first IT job, so I NEED to stick it through for at least a year to get the experience on my resume." Sure enough, about a year and a half later, I'm getting callbacks for interviews. I knew my company wasn't going to "fight" for me because I mean... they'd literally have to double my salary in order to top my offer and I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I applied for anything technical/IT support related on Craigslist, Monster, and Hotjobs. I don't feel knowledgeable or comfortable enough to go for a administrative position yet so I shot for IT support and network support positions. I sent about 40 resumes outs and got 3 calls back in the first week. Given the fact that I only have ONE IT job for about a year and a half on my resume and mostly CompTIA certs, I consider that a good job. My certs DEFINITELY helped out. I brought them with the score cards in the binder for the hiring managers and they were extremely impressed by my scores.

The funny part is.... I was hoping to get a new job in May but after reading the job boards here, I thought it was going to take FOREVER to find a new job. Best thing I would say to do is just send out resumes EVERYWHERE. You never know what will come your way if you do.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    jkuochjkuoch Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey iris I was wondering if you could post up your resume but edit out important personal information. I'm in the same boat as you but in northern California in San Jose, ca and I cannot find any jobs. Please help a brother out :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You must be doing something right with your resume.
    Congrats on the new job and the expanding opportunities. Your hard work is obviously paying off.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Great news. Congrats!
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The problem with the company I'm at right now is that they're losing business left and right (for non-IT reasons) and they don't really have the business to justify giving me a pay increase. I was making literally $13 an hour for the last year with them but I was like "Ok... this is my first IT job, so I NEED to stick it through for at least a year to get the experience on my resume." Sure enough, about a year and a half later, I'm getting callbacks for interviews. I knew my company wasn't going to "fight" for me because I mean... they'd literally have to double my salary in order to top my offer and I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I applied for anything technical/IT support related on Craigslist, Monster, and Hotjobs. I don't feel knowledgeable or comfortable enough to go for a administrative position yet so I shot for IT support and network support positions. I sent about 40 resumes outs and got 3 calls back in the first week. Given the fact that I only have ONE IT job for about a year and a half on my resume and mostly CompTIA certs, I consider that a good job. My certs DEFINITELY helped out. I brought them with the score cards in the binder for the hiring managers and they were extremely impressed by my scores.

The funny part is.... I was hoping to get a new job in May but after reading the job boards here, I thought it was going to take FOREVER to find a new job. Best thing I would say to do is just send out resumes EVERYWHERE. You never know what will come your way if you do.

Congrats bro! You went from $13 an hour to $21.15 just like that. You paid your dues and it paid off. Just remember to keep at your studies on the side to keep current and be able to throw it on your resume going forward. Hope the environment and people work out for you.

Going forward, did anyone at your old work give you a professional reference/referral letter?
    All I ever had in the IT industry were co-ops from school. I was told that they cannot personally vouche for someone they knew for 4 months... I did however get a letter of reference from a senior network admin outside of my department who is now retired. I don't believe that one counts for much.
    I worked at a telecom company at one point for nearly 2 years. I was at a phone box on in a residential area and my manager decided to show up to check out my work...good manager practice. Someone had drawn a face with a something something in it's mouth with a big arrow and his name pointing at it. lol My manager asked me if I drew it and I just started cracking up when I saw it because I didn't notice it to begin with. I ended up leaving the company a bunch of months later as it was not really IT related. The only kind of reference letter I could get was a paper from an HR department I have never met stating how long I worked worked there... pretty lame.

Same request as buddy a few posts back...would love to see your posted resume without personal info!
  • Options
    jkuoch wrote: »
    hey iris I was wondering if you could post up your resume but edit out important personal information. I'm in the same boat as you but in northern California in San Jose, ca and I cannot find any jobs. Please help a brother out :)

Sure thing:
    Katherine XXXXX
    XXX ADDRESS/EMAIL/PHONEXXXX

Objective

To have a challenging IT position with opportunity for advancement

Qualifications

Extensive experience with Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/Server 2003, MS Office, troubleshooting network and printer connectivity issues, software and hardware deployment and configuration, remote assistance, system configuration and optimization, excellent communication skills, etc

Education

Pasadena City College, Pasadena, CA
    Enrolled since 2010
    Majoring in Computer Science

Certifications

A+ IT Technician, Network+, Security+, Linux+, and currently working on my MCSA

Experience

01/2009 - Current - XXXXXX, Anaheim, CA
    Help Desk Support
    Setting up new users on company server, resetting user passwords, managing the Exchange server, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, reinstalling operating systems, maintaining device drivers, providing the maintenance on field representative's laptops, using remote desktop and remote assistance to troubleshoot client issues, implementing updates to company software, frequently commuting to company data center to perform scheduled maintenance of offsite servers, deployed all the computers for a extended call center, etc.

09/2007 - 12/2008 - XXXXXX, Pasadena, CA
    Telesales Representative
    Answering incoming customer calls while providing excellent customer service.
    Set up new accounts and up-sell customers.
    Was salesperson of the quarter, broke company records in sales, and consistently was the top in sales for the company.

01/2007 - 09/2007 - XXXXXXXXX, Burbank, CA
    Member Service Representative
    Processing and following up on loans, picking up the night deposits and posting them, processing ATMs, processing fax requests of members, responding to mail, typing official letters on letterhead, up-selling products, and all back office work.

09/2003 - 12/2006 - XXXXXXXXX, Pasadena, CA
    Customer Service Supervisor
    Used problem solving skills to identify problems on customer’s account and resolved them.
    Processed customer claims, helped account retention efforts, explained account terms and conditions,
    filed research reports for customers, took customer feedback, test scripts, took escalated calls from
    other associates, was associate of the month 6 times, received an award for recognition for the years of
    2004 and 2005, and was constantly exceeding in my stats.

08/2000 - 09/2003 - XXXXXXXXX, Costa Mesa, CA
    Assistant Manager
    Set up credit card merchant accounts, handled customer service calls, answered billing-related questions, cold calling and appointment setting, general office work, word processing, office memos, data entry, light payroll with manager, processed lease applications, trained new employees on credit card processing, pulled prospective leads off of the internet, and did all the MS Office required work in the office. Promoted to assistant manager from account representative within six months of hire.

References Available Upon Request

As far as my cover letter, to be honest, I just googled "sample help desk cover letter" and took one of those templates and filled in the blanks but here it is anyways:

To Human Resources,

I am writing to you because I believe my training, experience, and proven ability as a help desk support technician will allow me to significantly contribute to your company's IT division.

In reviewing the attached resume, you will note that I have acquired valuable experience in all facets of troubleshooting, installations, and maintenance for various desktop operations, hardware, and software. I possess a unique talent for delivering highly complex technical information into terms and concepts that the end users can readily grasp. Furthermore, I am multi-task oriented, enjoy a challenge, and continually stay updated in the latest advancements in the IT field.

If you are seeking an IT professional who has excellent people and problem solving skills and can easily provide optimum support to your MIS operations, then please consider what I have to offer.

I believe it would be mutually beneficial for us to meet and discuss the goals of your company and how my technical abilities can help you achieve those goals. Please feel free to call me at XXXXXXX to schedule a time for an interview.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Iristheangel
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Stuppored wrote: »
    Congrats bro! You went from $13 an hour to $21.15 just like that. You paid your dues and it paid off. Just remember to keep at your studies on the side to keep current and be able to throw it on your resume going forward. Hope the environment and people work out for you.

Going forward, did anyone at your old work give you a professional reference/referral letter?
    All I ever had in the IT industry were co-ops from school. I was told that they cannot personally vouche for someone they knew for 4 months... I did however get a letter of reference from a senior network admin outside of my department who is now retired. I don't believe that one counts for much.
    I worked at a telecom company at one point for nearly 2 years. I was at a phone box on in a residential area and my manager decided to show up to check out my work...good manager practice. Someone had drawn a face with a something something in it's mouth with a big arrow and his name pointing at it. lol My manager asked me if I drew it and I just started cracking up when I saw it because I didn't notice it to begin with. I ended up leaving the company a bunch of months later as it was not really IT related. The only kind of reference letter I could get was a paper from an HR department I have never met stating how long I worked worked there... pretty lame.

Same request as buddy a few posts back...would love to see your posted resume without personal info!

My network administrator from my current job gave me a glowing review so that was nice. Hopefully I get to work with awesome IT managers like that again. This new company is a little intimidating for the fact that I'm going from dealing with 55 end users and about 40 outside field reps to 25,000 end users consisting of doctors, nurses, etc. Yikes. Lots of work, but hopefully tons to learn too.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You did a really good job at selling yourself to your new employer. I'm sure all that prior customer service work also helped your case also.
    Good luck at your new job
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723

Nice man, I am still looking for something similar to your new job. So far nothing for me icon_sad.gif I am hoping to get one soon.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    My little brother is a helpdesk tech for Kaiser here in socal. There are definitely jobs, lots of senior stuff I'm seeing flying around as well. I am checking out everything that's even remotely interesting, there is no harm in getting some interview practice and seeing how well written (or not) my resume is. So far, I've got 3 interviews, 2 external and one internal, that I wanted, 3 for 3. I was 1 of 2 for both the externals, though they ended up going for someone else on both. Internals are tricky, as they are required (I work for gov) to fill a position that's non promote, which is all level III positions (Senior) so I figured that position was just a formality and that it would go to a guy in their dept. The assistant director took a serious liking to me though, and is trying to get another position of the same or higher pay/responsibility opened up since they have so many other positions open. She keeps saying she wants to steal me away from my current dept lol. All are 100k+ positions, so the sky is definately the limit if you pay your dues. I've been in the field just a little under 10 years now, I've done the helpdesk thing, and have been in senior positions with subordinates. I havent had the management ticket yet, and I imagine I wont be even interested until I'm over 30 at least. Anyway, great job man, there are definitely jobs out there.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    lalooshlaloosh Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, iristheangel. Sounds like you're movin' on up!

On a side note, take a look at the username and name on the resume. Iristheangel is a woman, so let's stop calling her "bro" and "man."

Sorry, had to point that out. :)
  • Options
    laloosh wrote: »
    Congratulations, iristheangel. Sounds like you're movin' on up!

On a side note, take a look at the username and name on the resume. Iristheangel is a woman, so let's stop calling her "bro" and "man."

Sorry, had to point that out. :)

hahahhahahahahahahaa.... took someone awhile to notice. Since it's mostly a male-dominated field, I think most people automatically assume it's a guy posting here
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

And pics or you're not really a girl ;)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats!

And pics or you're not really a girl ;)

hello internet.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Liking the goods. And IT gal to boot.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »
    Liking the goods. And IT gal to boot.

And people wonder what scares women from IT.

Granted, this is mild compared to other things that could have been posted.. I suppose she didn't mind posting the pics either, but you guys are still creepy.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183