Options

Howdy

CutenoobCutenoob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there. New person on forums *ducks* and I've got some questions. Maybe some of you gurus can help me with this. Did you guys use virtual machines on your own PC to practice this deployment? If not, how did you practice this? Cutenoob

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Yup, thats what I did. I use VMWare Workstation at home.

And the class I took this past week, we used Hyper-V.

Virtualization is great. icon_cheers.gif

Also, trying look at Microsoft's Virtual Labs. Very cool labs that will walk you through using different deployment tools. I particularly liked the Windows SIM and DISM ones. I found them the most useful anyways.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    CutenoobCutenoob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, that's what I'm doing here.
    Got a trial version of Enterprise W7 and using VM ware, going to go thru chapter 2 again and see how well it works. Especially after I figured out that there were some pretty serious errors in chapter 2.

And...

I'm realizing this book is for system admins. I bought this book thinking it was for desktop/helpdesk staff to be able to navigate and help the users better.

Whoopsy.

then again, Ive got a few years of HD under my belt and am kind of tired of hearing "the printer's bork" or "My mouse is slow".

Do you guys who are cert'd in 70-680 - what kind of stuff do you work in/do? What level are you in the IT chain at work?

Cutenoob
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I am sitting for the exam this week hopefully.

I do help desk/ desktop support. But I also do all of the imaging, deployments. I designed and implemented our imaging solution, so obviously with Win7 coming out.. I was looking at the MS tools to cut out our 3rd party imaging solution. I was also wanting to look at applocker; Also bitlocker for our mobile computers. Will probably toss out our 3rd party encryption software (that is a PITA, especially for the end user), etc.

And I also get to answer help desk requests, account creations, VPN support, maintain IT asset records, and quite a multitude of other things.

I work in a ~150 user environment, so nothing big.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel