Options

Phone Interview Etiquette

ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
I'm sure some others here will give some good tips like making sure your cell phone battery is charged and to find a quiet place, but let me give you rule number 1. I thought this one would be obvious, but after I had it happen last week, maybe a some folks need a refresher:

Do not switch over to answer another call during the interview.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I'm sure some others here will give some good tips like making sure your cell phone battery is charged and to find a quiet place, but let me give you rule number 1. I thought this one would be obvious, but after I had it happen last week, maybe a some folks need a refresher:

Oh that made me laugh! I can't believe someone would do that. What a good way to let the employer know you are not interested.

I'd say dress up for your phone interview like it was a real one, and sit in a location that is private and quiet. It may not sound like much, but acting like a professional and talking like a professional is a little bit easier when you look like a professional.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did my phone interview I had yesterday in my tighty whiteys. Still went ok. Someone beeped in during it and I didn't take the call.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    chmorin wrote: »
    Oh that made me laugh! I can't believe someone would do that. What a good way to let the employer know you are not interested.

I'd say dress up for your phone interview like it was a real one, and sit in a location that is private and quiet. It may not sound like much, but acting like a professional and talking like a professional is a little bit easier when you look like a professional.
    I've done phoners naked.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think rule #1 and rule #2 should involve not using the bathroom and flushing during an interview. That makes don't take other phone calls #3.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the HR wonks that do our initial phone technical interviews. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□

Maybe the candidate was doing another phone interview! icon_lol.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »
    I've done phoners naked.

And we are all proud of you. Not that I don't appreciate your input, but if you treat any aspect of the hiring processes as a joke I would be surprised if they didn't treat you as a joke as well. On that note, I never dress up for my interviews. But for those individuals who need a confidence boost, looking the part helps.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    senghorsenghor Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would add...

1) have your CV/Resume printed and laid down on the table and not on your PC.
    a. you'll be asked questions about your CV/Resume...is good to have the material ready. specially when is a pretty intense CV.
    b. HR and IT Manager don't like to hear keyboards going on while interviewing.

2) write down a short Summary of your IT career.
    a. It's mostly to see what your speech capacity is like.
    b. I personally suggest to start from the most recent roles
    c. don't end all sentences with "ehmmm" or "you know"...this really kills the attention of those on the other side and gives the idea that you can't handle stressful situations.

3) Have some case scenarios where you're skills, both Personal and Technical brought to some significant improvement or solution.
    a. have some cases where you had to work individually, in team and if possible, where you had to think "out side the box".
    b. Have also one case where your approach didn't bring to the solution and tell how you have learnt from it. Failures happen, is how you deal with it that makes the difference.

4) Don't smoke during the interview!

5) HR managers like questions....
    a. you will' be asked if you have any questions...don't say NO!...if you really don't know what to ask...go for these...they like it.
      what is the induction process like?
      what are the learning opportunities for (all) non-specific employees? a. this will prove your interest in the company and not only your role.

6) IT Managers like questions too...
    a. again...Ask!
      What do you expect from the person in this role?
      What is the social environment like in the team?
      is there any team building activity organized during the year?

7) Be confident and polite during the technical interview.
    a. don't be afraid to ask a question to the technical interviewer when you're not entirely sure of what you've just said. there is nothing wrong if you don't exactly remember something.
    b. KNOW your weak points. SAY that you're working on it.

I hope that this helped a bit.
    I've been interviewing many times and these points helped me being interviewed.

Cheerio
  • Options
    CutenoobCutenoob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How about

1. Do not smoke, drink, eat or answer the door! (have a glass of water handy if you get cottonmouth but don't focus on that!)

2. Breathe deep before the interview, and keep calm during it. Focus on the wall if you need something to calm you down.

3. Articulate. Be careful with words and pronunciation. Be polite, and smile most of the time when you're speaking on the phone.

4. Have your paper/res ready. (said before, but damn good point).

5. Follow up with a thank you email or note afterwards, outlining a few sentences that would remind them of you.

6. Relax afterwards

Cutenoob
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Another quick tip to add is that if you tend to pace while on the phone then you'll want to make sure that you don't set a frantic pace. Heavy breathing doesn't help for a successful interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    Be professional and SOUND professional with a strong but confident tone.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Hey guys if you were asked by the interviewer with this question who are you going to answer it:Why are you looking for an IT job?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thehourman wrote: »
    Hey guys if you were asked by the interviewer with this question who are you going to answer it:Why are you looking for an IT job?
    Um, the truth.

Unless of course you're going into IT for the "wrong reasons" (like the money, the chicks, the glamor, or you like how Roy avoids work in the TV show "The IT Crowd") -- then you might want to lie.

Of course, if all you can think of is "to pay the bills" then you might need some advice.... um, "I like problem solving and IT seems to offer an endless supply of problems."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Um, the truth.

Unless of course you're going into IT for the "wrong reasons" (like the money, the chicks, the glamor, or you like how Roy avoids work in the TV show "The IT Crowd") -- then you might want to lie.

Of course, if all you can think of is "to pay the bills" then you might need some advice.... um, "I like problem solving and IT seems to offer an endless supply of problems."
    I like technologies and enjoy them, but when I they asked me with that question, it caught me off guard and I kind of stutter while answering it.

I need some tip answering that question. I know it is an easy question, I always say the truth, but within that question I just could not answer.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    senghor wrote: »
    4) Don't smoke during the interview!

Nor should you chew gum!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

This sounds suspiciously like back in the days when I was single and I would go on a first date with a woman. I'd always have a friend call me about 30 minutes in and again at 2 hours in so that I'd have an out if it was needed....

MS