SoL 25

It has been a while (7 years) since I have worked with Linux. At that time, I was using SoL 17. I have just decided to get back to work with this again and I installed SoL 25 on a Dual Xeon server I have.

SoL 25 installed just fine and I can log on to root, ping the server on both NICs, BUT I cannot seem to find a way to get in to activate the webserver.

I cannot find my old DOCs for v17 and links to v25 DOCs on line are broken.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to bring this box completely on line?

John
John
Current Progress:
Studying:
CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
Exams Passed:
CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
2011 Goals
CCNP/CCNP:Voice

Comments

• UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Have you considered using a better documented distro, at least while you're getting up to speed? I've never worked with SoL, so I'm not even sure that packaging system it uses, etc.

CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu would all be excellent choices.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    Have you considered using a better documented distro, at least while you're getting up to speed? I've never worked with SoL, so I'm not even sure that packaging system it uses, etc.

CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu would all be excellent choices.

I have not locked into this yet! I found some of my old DOCs and have the WebServer running! Right now, I am having issues navigating! It has been soo long since I have worked wiht this, I cannot remember some of the command switches i.e. dir switches to display contents one pange at a time.

I have another program I want to install from CD, Webmin, and I am trying to get the drive mounted and be able to install the RPM.

I used to do all this from comand line ... "Use it or Lose it!" I want to set up Webmin so I can take care of admin remotely.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not locked into this yet! I found some of my old DOCs and have the WebServer running! Right now, I am having issues navigating! It has been soo long since I have worked wiht this, I cannot remember some of the command switches i.e. dir switches to display contents one pange at a time.

I have another program I want to install from CD, Webmin, and I am trying to get the drive mounted and be able to install the RPM.

I used to do all this from comand line ... "Use it or Lose it!" I want to set up Webmin so I can take care of admin remotely.

John
    Decide where to mount the CD, typically /mnt/cdrom. Create the directory if it doesn't exist:
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    Determine the CD drive device name. It could be /dev/cdrom, or maybe /dev/hdc. Mount it:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    Find the webmin rpm:
    find /mnt/cdrom -iname '*webmin*rpm'
    Or you can browse and view the cdrom contents with ls and cd. When you have the location, install it:
    rpm -ihv /mnt/cdrom/something/webmin.rpm
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Decide where to mount the CD, typically /mnt/cdrom. Create the directory if it doesn't exist:
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    Determine the CD drive device name. It could be /dev/cdrom, or maybe /dev/hdc. Mount it:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    Find the webmin rpm:
    find /mnt/cdrom -iname '*webmin*rpm'
    Or you can browse and view the cdrom contents with ls and cd. When you have the location, install it:
    rpm -ihv /mnt/cdrom/something/webmin.rpm

Thanks,

I will ne trying this a little later this evening.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    You can also download, and install an updated version of webmin simultaneously. For example:

rpm -ivh http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/webadmin/webmin/1.510/webmin-1.510-1.noarch.rpm

If ls generates too much output to fit on the screen, you can pipe it through less, so that you can scroll up and down, page up, page down, etc through the list. For example:

ls -l | less

When you're finished, hit the "q" key to exit less.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can also download, and install an updated version of webmin simultaneously. For example:

rpm -ivh Download Webmin from SourceForge.net

If ls generates too much output to fit on the screen, you can pipe it through less, so that you can scroll up and down, page up, page down, etc through the list. For example:

ls -l | less

I don't know if this work in his case. SoL 25 was released in 2007, so a recent webmin rpm might need some some newer dependencies. I've never used SoL so I don't know if there is an update manager like yum, or if it is still updated.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    I don't know if this work in his case. SoL 25 was released in 2007, so a recent webmin rpm might need some some newer dependencies. I've never used SoL so I don't know if there is an update manager like yum, or if it is still updated.

Well, I gave up on SoL, as much as I liked it. Their contact info is no longer valid. Links to their online docs go to a "!It Works! !W00T!" page.

I finally settled on CentOS and have it installed. Once installed, I found out it is Red Hat! (Which I did not like in 2002) I will have to go through the RedHat book I have to figure out how to get the FTP server working (This was also my major headache in 2002) so I can get my website files uploaded. the other headache was trying to get Samba (the Linux box) to talk to the rest of my domain (Windows Environ)

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals

rpm -ivh Download Webmin from SourceForge.net

ls -l | less

Thanks, that was the display key sequence I was looking for.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals