Options

Meeting with 2 recruiters today....

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
One is for a Network Support Position. The job is part time, 12am-12pm on the weekends. I would support Windows/Linux Servers and Network gear. The job has the potential to go full time in a few months.

The other is for an Information Security Associate. It would be a contract working for a large bank (you know the one, but I won't say unless if get it). It is a 1 year contract to hire.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck.
    Which one are you most hoping to get?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    knwminus wrote: »
    One is for a Network Support Position. The job is part time, 12am-12pm on the weekends. I would support Windows/Linux Servers and Network gear. The job has the potential to go full time in a few months.

The other is for an Information Security Associate. It would be a contract working for a large bank (you know the one, but I won't say unless if get it). It is a 1 year contract to hire.

They sound great man.

Contract-to-Hire is exactly what you want to find when it comes to recruiters. Basically a "the contract part is probationary, do a good job, we'll hire you full time".

Good luck :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

The second one for me. With a year on your CV working at a bank it can only help you.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    The second one for me. With a year on your CV working at a bank it can only help you.

not only that, but he's guaranteed f/t for at least a year....the other is maybe f/t after a few months...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    not only that, but he's guaranteed f/t for at least a year....the other is maybe f/t after a few months...

Yep that too.
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□

Security is a growing field so I would choose Information Security Associate.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you can handle it, do both! :D
  • Options
    Ok guys I am back from both meetings. I will give the quick and dirty.

Information Security Associate:

What I noticed:
    They seemed to be moving very quickly; recruiter said I should know something very soon (like this week). Also the woman seemed very sure that if I don't screw this up I could land this job. The job would more than likely start before the end of the month (last week). I would need a background check (which I don't have a problem with). It would mostly be a Windows/Linux Server/Workstation type of job which means doing the SNRS could get put on hold icon_cry.gif. The job seemed to be log oriented though (firewall, ids, sever, etc) so it could still be on. The place is right around the corner from where I take my certs (score!) and if I moved, there is a branch of my school about 10 miles way (score!).

Pros:

- Pay
    - More in line with my career goals
    - Great experience (to put on my resume)
    - Schedule (8-5pm, and this can be adjusted)

Cons:
    - 1 year contract (unknown if it will go perm)
    - No benefits
    - Distance (about 50 miles, maybe 1 hour to 1 hour 15, both ways with traffic)

Network Support:
    What I noticed:

This job seemed more in line with a DC engineer and it is a job in a DC. The company is a direct competitor with one of my previous jobs (I don't have any issue, legal or otherwise with that). The company is growing, fast and they are looking for someone who is ready to grow with them. The job would offer some diverse experience, *nix/Windows, Cisco, HP, IBM, as well as hardware and hvac exp (something that would be very difficult to get). The recruiter told me that I was the strongest person they had, and they want to send my resume over (tonight). It would not line up with my career goals as well, nor would it pay as much (about 2/HR less). In addition to that, the job would be part time (24-36 hrs) to start off with, and a review in October would determine whether or not I would be made a full time employee. I would work on the weekends which would keep my weekdays open for something else.

Pros:

- Schedule (nights)
    - Experience (overall)
    - Potential of position
    - Distance (Less than 30 miles away and because of the times I would work, the travel could be about 40 minutes).

Cons:

- Pay (both the rate and the fact that the amount of hours aren't set)
    - No benefits

So there it is. What do you guys think?
    If you can handle it, do both! :D

Ha Ha, maybe if I wasn't in school (or married). I have worked 75 hour weeks before (I actually did this for 5 months), I NEVER want to do that again (I stopped sleeping, eating, and "spending time" with my wife on a regular bases. I had to quit when I realized just how much WE missed our fun time lol).
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Good luck.
    Which one are you most hoping to get?

Information Security Associate. My thought though is that say I get the job and then the contract is up after a year or so and I go to try to find another job. It may be difficult just because I would only have 1 year of security experience. If I try to get another security job, they might scoff at me, which to me means I would need to get some high level certs and learn my craft very well.

IMO people have less of an expectation of someone who is entry to experience in a generalized role VS someone who is entry to experience in a security role (of any kind). I could be way off but I look in my area for security jobs (even some with about 3 years of exp) and they want all sorts of things (which is why my plan looks the way it does). Generalized roles tend to have less requirements (if this makes sense).*

* I am by no means knocking anyones hustle, this is just my opinion and it is based on my experience.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go for the ISA. In the short and long term, it would probably be better for you than the other. Don't hold me to that though.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security pays.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Security pays.

I have been meaning to ask you something for a while now....
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    My fingers are crossed for you! Hopefully you get the ISA position
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Ahh, didn't realize you were married. I for some reason thought you were done with college also. My bad on both accounts ;)
  • Options
    My fingers are crossed for you! Hopefully you get the ISA position

Thanks icon_thumright.gif

I actually hope I can get it as well. I know it is pretty low on the food chain but I think I could pick up some good experience. Who knows what it might turn into.
  • Options
    Ahh, didn't realize you were married. I for some reason thought you were done with college also. My bad on both accounts ;)

Married life is great. I actually married the girl I have loved since I was 7. It took sometime to win her over (we were wed almost 2 years ago, and we dated for a year or so) but I am glad she finally came to her senses.

School is really getting on my nerves. I stopped for about 3 quarters so I could work full time and by the time I am finished, my 2 year degree is going to have been a 3 year journey. At least I will have to AAS', think that will matter to anybody? Probably not. But I will have about 4 years of exp, most people in the network engineering program don't have anything. Not a lot of the people pass the CCNA. Apparently the school has never had anyone opt out of the cisco classes (because of getting the CCNA through Self Study). It was kinda funny, the deal was questioning me "So K, how did you do it". I was like IDK it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't feel special or accomplished. I feel like, there is just so much to know that getting letters behind your name are just an ends to a means, ya know? But I am off point. How is the WGU thing going for you? Honestly, I really want to go but I just feel off about it and its strange because it is such a cool setup, I just don't feel its for me.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 for the ISA position. Hope you get it mate.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hope you get the one you want.
    As far as WGU goes, it's not for everyone. you would probably be a good fit since you're a self motivated learner.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Interview for both, see what offers you get. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Keeping this in mind, both places I interviewed yesterday called me today. ISA said they should know something (as far as next steps and such) today, Network Support said today or tomorrow. Yesterday I was contacted by a tool and die company. They wanted to know if I would be able to interview with them Wed. Well something came up and I told them I could reschedule. They want to know if I can do it today. I am going to try to interview with them later today. The position is for a network admin (MS server, exchange, etc) which to be honest, I am not sure I am complete qualified for. Part of the job was cisco and I think I could do that but the exchange/MS server part is well above me possibly. I have no problem with learning but I am going to keep it real but I don't want to end up like this

YouTube - Dave Chappelle - When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong

We will see.
  • Options
    School is really getting on my nerves. I stopped for about 3 quarters so I could work full time and by the time I am finished, my 2 year degree is going to have been a 3 year journey. At least I will have to AAS', think that will matter to anybody? Probably not. But I will have about 4 years of exp, most people in the network engineering program don't have anything. Not a lot of the people pass the CCNA. Apparently the school has never had anyone opt out of the cisco classes (because of getting the CCNA through Self Study). It was kinda funny, the deal was questioning me "So K, how did you do it". I was like IDK it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't feel special or accomplished. I feel like, there is just so much to know that getting letters behind your name are just an ends to a means, ya know? But I am off point. How is the WGU thing going for you? Honestly, I really want to go but I just feel off about it and its strange because it is such a cool setup, I just don't feel its for me.

WGU is going very well for me so far. I am taking an English test in a few hours, and looking forward to having it behind me. So far I am racing through my classes, but I realize it's because I am familiar with most of them. After this semester I will probably start battling the boring and difficult classes like Math and Science. I already have my Associate degree so more college is honestly starting to get on my nerves and not just mine but my Wife's as well icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    What would you say about a position like this:

Network Administrator/Help Desk Administrator
    Temporary Position
    Full Time

Installing, supporting and maintaining server hardware and software infrastructure
    Managing printers, email, anti spam and virus protection
    Setting up user accounts, permissions and passwords
    Monitoring network usage
    Analyzing and resolving faults, ranging from a major system crash to a forgotten password
    Undertaking routine preventative measures and implementing, maintaining and monitoring network security
    Providing training and technical support for users with varying levels of IT knowledge and competence

Experience with Microsoft 2003 Active Directory LAN, SQL 2000, Exchange Server 2003, Windows XP, LAN, SonicWall, Office 2003/2007

• Options
    I interviewed for the position above today. Honestly the interview was the strangest one I have ever had in my life. The entire time the guy seem distracted. He apparently hadn't read my resume and constantly wanted to know my answers to questions (very non technical, opinion based questions) only to say that my answers were "wrong". I explained to him my strong suits and he said "Oh I don't care about that (in reference to cisco)" and he asked "what can I do?". I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts and then he said "Oh that was to slow, you gotta keep up". He also kept taking phone calls and clicking his pen like he really didn't want to do it the interview (these are the people that called me wanting to know if I could interview icon_rolleyes.gif). He then got serious and told me how he is the IT department. When I asked him what they needed his response was " Everything". Recovery solutions, update services, updates to sql server and exchange (currently on 2000 and 2003 respectively) updates to the rsa server, laptop and desktop roll outs, helpdesk related issues (the guys office was literally covered with computer cases and parts), security, ip address reprovisioning, crystal reports, vlans..... (he kept going) I was just sitting there like WTF is going on, is this guy serious. I told him I could do it but I had to be honest, I am a quick study but I have never designed a recovery plan for a 200 machine network. I told him I would be more than willing to learn. He asked me what I was looking to make and when I told him he says, "Wow. That's pretty high". I think it is pretty fair seeing how it is what I have been making. He then tells me that he will need to bring me back in for a tech test and for me to email my references to him.

On the one hand, it would be really cool to get to actually design solutions implement technologies, and support them. I would also get to wear many hats which could help round my experience out. On the other hand, this guy seemed nuts, and he also seemed very stressed and over worked. The company seems to be doing well, so I have to wonder, why is it just the one guy doing their IT. Did he fire them? Did they quit? What happened?

At any rate that was strange.....
  • Options
    Oh yea and another thing. When I was in the interview for the job mentioned in my previous post, another recruiter called me about another security job. I am not sure what to make of this at all. It seems very, very high level but she said they are looking at a number of people*

Permanent opportunity in (City). This position will support both corporate and data center servers including Microsoft Windows, Unix, Cold Fusion and SQL file servers. The successful candidate will have experience conducting security audits and developing company infrastructure processes and procedures as well as prioritizing security risks

Required Skills

3+ years experience managing and supporting all aspects of network security. Responsible for evaluating network architecture and hardware/software configurations for security vulnerabilities, assisting network engineers and application developers in creating secure systems and monitoring intranet, extranet and internet systems for security threats. Designs security infrastructure (HW/SW, policies, procedures), performs vulnerability assessments, evaluates network infrastructure, conducts investigations and performs intrusion detection monitoring
    I saw this position posted a few days ago. The person who called me actually works for a different branch of the recruiting company (not the one in my city). I have spoken with her before (about another position) but then she called me about this. To me it seems pretty cool, and it would be downtown in my city (less than 5 minutes away from me). What do you guys think about this (as a first pure security position)?

*IE someone they can get cheap.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Last one sounds alright, except they cant honestly expect to get osmeone that knows all those systems well and then pay nothing.

Also I hate when they say something like "SQL" instead of something more apparent like "Oracle 10g" or "SQL Server 2005/2008".
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Last one sounds alright, except they cant honestly expect to get osmeone that knows all those systems well and then pay nothing.

Also I hate when they say something like "SQL" instead of something more apparent like "Oracle 10g" or "SQL Server 2005/2008".

Me too! But I talked with the recruiter and it is SQL Server 2005, which is cool because I have a decent amount of SQL Server Exp (as well as general SQL language experience). I am most concerned about cold fusion. I have NO experience with cold fusion and it took a google search to figure out what it was. Lets see what happens icon_thumright.gif.

Oh and as far as pay, I can tell you that they are looking to pay a very high wage but I would need about 75 percent of it and be happy (and I WILL make sure they know this). Maybe that will help me out a bit.
  • Options
    CutenoobCutenoob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I interviewed for the position above today. Honestly the interview was the strangest one I have ever had in my life. The entire time the guy seem distracted. He apparently hadn't read my resume and constantly wanted to know my answers to questions (very non technical, opinion based questions) only to say that my answers were "wrong". I explained to him my strong suits and he said "Oh I don't care about that (in reference to cisco)" and he asked "what can I do?". I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts and then he said "Oh that was to slow, you gotta keep up". He also kept taking phone calls and clicking his pen like he really didn't want to do it the interview (these are the people that called me wanting to know if I could interview icon_rolleyes.gif). He then got serious and told me how he is the IT department. When I asked him what they needed his response was " Everything". Recovery solutions, update services, updates to sql server and exchange (currently on 2000 and 2003 respectively) updates to the rsa server, laptop and desktop roll outs, helpdesk related issues (the guys office was literally covered with computer cases and parts), security, ip address reprovisioning, crystal reports, vlans..... (he kept going) I was just sitting there like WTF is going on, is this guy serious. I told him I could do it but I had to be honest, I am a quick study but I have never designed a recovery plan for a 200 machine network. I told him I would be more than willing to learn. He asked me what I was looking to make and when I told him he says, "Wow. That's pretty high". I think it is pretty fair seeing how it is what I have been making. He then tells me that he will need to bring me back in for a tech test and for me to email my references to him.

On the one hand, it would be really cool to get to actually design solutions implement technologies, and support them. I would also get to wear many hats which could help round my experience out. On the other hand, this guy seemed nuts, and he also seemed very stressed and over worked. The company seems to be doing well, so I have to wonder, why is it just the one guy doing their IT. Did he fire them? Did they quit? What happened?

At any rate that was strange.....

This one, (my 2 network cents) is one to stay away from. Unless you like being yelled at.

Just the way you wrote it, described it? It sounds like me a Jack of all Trades and Master of Some - with no funding. He's having to cannibalize all those machines? Repeatedly? I would have issues with that - where's the inventory? Structure? Any documentation?
    I worked in a place where you had to squeeze every last f-in bit out of old 10/100 NICs, you had to repeatedly tell the IT Dir you needed more X Y or Z, and after a few MONTHS he'd authorize it..Mice. Keyboards. Simple things. No docs there, nothing on how that network ran, and running everything on old clunker boxes.

That guy's got so much on his plate he wants someone equal to him to just hand half of the stuff over and not train. Here go do this. That. I dont have time, just do it. I dont care how it gets done, just do it. I can see that happening. Stay away from this job.

cutenoob
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    this guy seemed nuts
    Run. Run like the wind. Run as far away as fast as you can.

I'd guess anyone who had a clue and worked for that guy already ran away.

The situation sounds like there will be a great opportunity there someday -- an opportunity to clean up after the nut job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cutenoob wrote: »
    This one, (my 2 network cents) is one to stay away from. Unless you like being yelled at.

Just the way you wrote it, described it? It sounds like me a Jack of all Trades and Master of Some - with no funding. He's having to cannibalize all those machines? Repeatedly? I would have issues with that - where's the inventory? Structure? Any documentation?
    I worked in a place where you had to squeeze every last f-in bit out of old 10/100 NICs, you had to repeatedly tell the IT Dir you needed more X Y or Z, and after a few MONTHS he'd authorize it..Mice. Keyboards. Simple things. No docs there, nothing on how that network ran, and running everything on old clunker boxes.

That guy's got so much on his plate he wants someone equal to him to just hand half of the stuff over and not train. Here go do this. That. I dont have time, just do it. I dont care how it gets done, just do it. I can see that happening. Stay away from this job.

cutenoob

I can not agree more. Sorry but if the person I am interviewing with is not the least interested in what my weak and strong points are and can not pay attention to me then no go for me. Sorry but this is my time and your time that you are wasting. I have had several bad interviews like this. Trust me a jack of all trades job is great if the person is willing to teach you if you do not have much experience. I had one for my first IT job and have to admit it got me to liking what I do :). I would stay away from this position because this guy sounded like a jack of all asses to me.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Information Security Associate:

Well this job is out. The client found someone by themselves and didn't need the recruiter so...icon_rolleyes.gif
    I am starting to think that maybe I should just finish school and do some certs because it seems like people just want so much.

I also did a phone interview for the network support position. Lets see what happens from here.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well this job is out. The client found someone by themselves and didn't need the recruiter so...icon_rolleyes.gif
    I am starting to think that maybe I should just finish school and do some certs because it seems like people just want so much.

I also did a phone interview for the network support position. Lets see what happens from here.

Similar thing happened to me. I hate putting a bunch of time effort and thought into a job and have it slip away.

Hang in there.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.