Options

New to Virtualization

jmorgan75149jmorgan75149 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to Virtualization and was wondering what a good book wood be to get me up to speed or any other resources? I have VirtualBox installed with a couple guests machines running but that is about it.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I am a VCP and though I definitely prefer the leading virtualization platform as VMware over the others I like comparing and reading about where all 3 are moving and how the industry is focusing and implementing virtual solutions. I would suggest reading the monthly articles as this magazine is free and keeps me up on VMware, Microsoft, Citrix and a few others trying to make a name for themselves as well. Another fact I like is they talk about desktop, server, storage etc virtualization and that is good because your whole infrastructure is and can be affected and good to know where technology is headed.

Home -- Virtualization Review

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am also a VCP but my preference for server implementations is VMware. For your standard workstation with ability to tweak and test I personally believe Virtualbox is better designed. Microsoft is at least 5 years behind VMware and Citrix is being heavily invested in by some DOD major contracting firms. It is all about what solution meets your needs.

Follow the thread provided by JDMurray. If you can provide some of your experience perhaps we can help steer you to areas where you need to study.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Check the MS Learning Catalog, there have been lots of free SCVMM/Hyper-V training videos in there in the past.

For VMware...there are likely some free ebooks floating around somewhere, or just scouring blog posts along with labbing it would be a good bet.

There will definitely be overlap between all the hypervisors when it comes to certain terminologies and features.