MCDST still worth getting?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is the MCDST still worth getting? I have the Microsoft Press book at home, but I have lost the review cd with the questions on which is a bit of a snag.

How long are people still going to be using Windows Xp?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it. I think a lot of companies will be using xp until support ends for it.

Although there are many new and very good features of server 2008/win 7, a lot of companies simply dont need those features so they won't be upgrading until they have to.
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Go for it. I think a lot of companies will be using xp until support ends for it.

Although there are many new and very good features of server 2008/win 7, a lot of companies simply dont need those features so they won't be upgrading until they have to.

I would have to agree. Extended support for Windows XP doesn't end until 2014, and I'm willing to bet a few companies out there will continue to use XP (at least short-term) after that.

Windows XP will be relevant for a few more years, so I think the MCDST is still worth it at this point.
  • lalooshlaloosh Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope you guys are right, since I'm just about through the Microsoft Press Self-Study guide for 70-271!

Also, my guess would be that an MCDST won't do a whole lot of good for landing a job at a technology-based company, but pretty much any business these days has an IT department.
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    laloosh wrote: »
    Also, my guess would be that an MCDST won't do a whole lot of good for landing a job at a technology-based company, but pretty much any business these days has an IT department.

It would really depend on the position that you're going for. Even if you apply at a tech-based company for a helpdesk position, you'd likely have a better shot at it than someone walking in there with no experience and no certs at all.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here is my perspective. Would the MCDST be training or for the validation of skills?

If you are training, I would say no and here is why...

If a person is looking to break into IT at the support level and has a plan of getting certified over the next 6 months I would still say go for the Windows 7 exams. XP will still be hanging around for another few years, but if your taking your exams in mid 2010 Win 7 is going to be important. I am not saying DON'T take any XP exams (maybe you should). But on a tight budget, if you have to go "either or" I think you will get more bang for your buck from starting with Win 7.

Here is my perspective as a person who has done hiring in IT in the past:

1. It's 2010 and Windows 7 has been out for almost a year. I am starting to deploy it in my environment. Here comes this newbie with an XP cert and all he knows is RIS. Now I have to train him in Windows 7 deployment and make sure he is familiar with all of the new features of 7. These features are the entire reason we are migrsting any way.

2. Here is a another entry level newbie with Windows 7 certification who has used XP for the past 7+ years. He knows XP because he's been using it for a long time and because most of the concepts learned from his Win 7 studies will be easily transferable to XP because he has used both. I don't have to teach him as much about deployment and the new group policy features we will be using when we roll out Win 7.

Who do I choose?
    Here is my perspective. Would the MCDST be training or for the validation of skills?

If you are training, I would say no and here is why...

Some good points there Robert :)

I guess it depends on your timescales and where abouts you are in your career. Are you supporting XP now? Is the company you are working for thinking of deploying win 7 or are there any win 7 machines already out?

If you are comfortable in your job and you support xp, you may as well finish the MCDST and then start studying for windows 7. Otherwise, what Robert said :)
    Some good points there Robert :)

I guess it depends on your timescales and where abouts you are in your career. Are you supporting XP now? Is the company you are working for thinking of deploying win 7 or are there any win 7 machines already out?

If you are comfortable in your job and you support xp, you may as well finish the MCDST and then start studying for windows 7. Otherwise, what Robert said :)

Nearly all of my PCs at work are XP. But I plan on any PCs I refresh this year having Win 7 on them. There are just too many features that I like and know we will use. At a certain point you have to make a choice about when the familiar systems such as XP actually begin to limit you as an IT professional and when they actually begin to limit the company you work for. I don't want my company to be stuck in 2003 from a technology perspective. It just does not make business sense to me.
    Couldn't agree more. I work for an outsourcing company though and we support our clients, so it is their shout whether they upgrade to win7 or not. I hold no power in that decision making process. Sooooo much politics here!
    Couldn't agree more. I work for an outsourcing company though and we support our clients, so it is their shout whether they upgrade to win7 or not. I hold no power in that decision making process. Sooooo much politics here!

I feel ya' on the politics! They are everywhere you go. But if I were in the sales division of your professional services I would want people to upgrade and would be actively pitching the benefits. More money for the company and more work for you guys.

One of my strategic visions for my department is ensuring that the company is properly placed from a technology stand point to implement the strategic vision of upper management. Let me tell you... I sometimes pull this company screaming and kicking into a new technology and two months later they cannot do their jobs without it. When I introduced SharePoint so many people were resistant. "Why do we need this? We can keep stuff on the file server?" "Why can't I just fill out a paper form? This takes too long." Now every department wants a site and I spend 50% of my time doing work flows, developing integration solutions for our SQL Server, etc, etc...
    That sounds excellent - exactly what I would like to be doing.
    I have learnt tonnes recently on new technology and would dearly love to introduce this to the business units here. Unfortunately though, the clients do not have any money to invest in this new technology; tightened budgets etc etc.

oh well... hopefully the economy will pick up and clients get new business that have new requirements :)
    Unfortunately though, the clients do not have any money to invest in this new technology; tightened budgets etc etc.

Yes, I'm pretty much on a budget freeze here. I work in manufacturing, so if it aint free - it aint happening for another 6 months. The issue I am having is just getting people to USE the stuff we do have. The company has spent a lot of money on tech and the employees go on like zombies using the same old stuff they are familiar with.

But Office 2010 and PowerPivot/SQl Server 2008 R2 are going to be things I push for. We'll see, though. Big chunk of change. But this company NEEDS better line of sight into their business data. Right now decisions are made based on gut feeling more than data analysis because the data they have is hard to get to and frequently wrong.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my MCDST in 2007 because my supervisor asked me to. He wanted me to know XP very well and the company reimbursed my tests. I have been looking at job descriptions flirting with the idea of switching jobs and haven't ever seen MCDST listed as a requirement. A friend of mine owns a business and looked over my resume for me. I had to explain this cert and justify why I got it. Not a huge deal but he didn't recognize it.

If you're looking to get certifications for a job I'm not sure I would suggest it over the A+, Network+, or Security+. I think there is a lot of good and valid information there and you can upgrade to the Windows 7 desktop support in one test. If you have a job and it is an XP shop with no plans to upgrade then the MCDST would likely help you quite a bit.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I got my MCDST in 2007 because my supervisor asked me to. He wanted me to know XP very well and the company reimbursed my tests. I have been looking at job descriptions flirting with the idea of switching jobs and haven't ever seen MCDST listed as a requirement. A friend of mine owns a business and looked over my resume for me. I had to explain this cert and justify why I got it. Not a huge deal but he didn't recognize it.

Thanks for the input. I actually wanted to get this cert just because I think it could be something easy after my MCSE. I think your justification to your friend shouldn't have been too difficult, since 95% (yeah I just made that up) of companies are still using XP. If you could upgrade it with the windows 7 version (forget the name at the moment) then it could be a potent combination.

A lot of companies still don't recognize MCITP because it is fairly new, so some people will just write it out on their resume. Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Enterprise Administrator, still gets the point across, even if the manager is dumb and doesn't know what it is. Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician could also get the point across. Depends what kind of a job you are looking for. If you are looking for a desktop support role, than that kind of spells it out that you are qualified. If you are looking at cisco networking, MCDST won't do much.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I actually wanted to get this cert just because I think it could be something easy after my MCSE. I think your justification to your friend shouldn't have been too difficult, since 95% (yeah I just made that up) of companies are still using XP. If you could upgrade it with the windows 7 version (forget the name at the moment) then it could be a potent combination.

The justification was pretty simple and it raised a talking point which probably wouldn't be a bad thing in the interview. I have taken the bridge exam to the Vista version (MCITP:EST) and have considered taking the 685 to get the Windows 7 version. I already have the EDA7 so I don't know if it's worth the expense.

I think if you're trying to get in the door in a desktop support role it wouldn't hurt at all, especially if you've taken a couple of the Comptia tests. If you already have the A+ and Net+ then the MCDST won't be too much more effort, just a few months studying and 250 dollars + study materials. I just wouldn't give it top priority I guess.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com