Options

Remote ntbackup & system state question

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Microsoft's solution is to create a share, and back up the share. That wouldn't be a big deal if I wanted to back up files, but I want to backup the system state. Is there any know workaround to this? I was trying to use psexec to get it to run on a remote machine, but with no luck.

I suppose I could create a share and copy over their registry...but I would rather have the other files included in the system state as well. Of course, with a system state backup, you can't just restore the registry without formatting and running ntbackup, can you? Or if the system blue screen's at boot, can you go to the repair console and restore the system state?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well usually when MS says it can't be done, there is still a way. I haven't had the pleasure of working with today's backup software from the big players such as seagate, but don't those have an option to backup system state data remotely?
    I suppose I could create a share and copy over their registry...but I would rather have the other files included in the system state as well. Of course, with a system state backup, you can't just restore the registry without formatting and running ntbackup, can you? Or if the system blue screen's at boot, can you go to the repair console and restore the system state?
    You'll need to use a backup tool nevertheless, just to keep the permissions of the registry and contents. But if you backup the registry and the boot files, and you don't need the last 2 of the following list than, I think, you should be able to restore or repair the computer... only one way to find out ;)

You haven't mentioned the OS or edition (pro or server?) but on Windows XP the system state data only includes:
    • The Boot files
    • The registry
    • The COM+ class registration database
    • files under Windows File Protection
  • Options
    Backups are done nightly, but not on the local drives. I just want to save myself the trouble of rebuilding a machine when it crashes.

A combination of 2000 Pro and NT. However, the ntbackup script I wrote will not work with NT. I'm working on something different now.

So, can you restore a system state file from the command line, using ntbackup?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No, ntbackup command line util cannot be used to restore files, at all.
  • Options
    Leave it to Microsoft...
  • Options
    In that case, I would be better off just making a share and backing up the registry/boot files, rather than running ntbackup. At least that way I can manually restore from the command line is necessary.