Options

SQL 2005 Express not upgraded by SQL 2008

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am doing some testing of SQL 2008 prior to our planed upgrade to Goldmine PE 8.5. We have one program that uses SQL 2005 Express, and upon doing the installation for 2008, it fails on upgrading. I get an error message saying "Rule SQL Server 2008 feature upgrade failed." I cannot continue on with the installation.

I have asked the company that uses 2005 express if there is an issue with using 2008. They said they dont know, never tried it.

Can two instances of SQL run on the same machine? Will their be issues?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I am doing some testing of SQL 2008 prior to our planed upgrade to Goldmine PE 8.5. We have one program that uses SQL 2005 Express, and upon doing the installation for 2008, it fails on upgrading. I get an error message saying "Rule SQL Server 2008 feature upgrade failed." I cannot continue on with the installation.

I have asked the company that uses 2005 express if there is an issue with using 2008. They said they dont know, never tried it.

Can two instances of SQL run on the same machine? Will their be issues?
    No, SQL Server is designed to do this. You will be fine running two instances. What is running under the 2005 Express instance? You could try detaching the databases, uninstalling SQL Server 2005 Express and then installing 2008 Express and reattaching them. I'd just say make sure you test this before you do it all the way and backup, backup, backup.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    You can run SQL 2008 no problem. You may have to use the advanced installation. Depending what OS your installing it on you may have to do a "hack". I had to do this with Windows7 because I use that on my desktop and I do a lot of SQL query work from home and wanted a SQL instance local incase I wanted to copy databases locally and mess with them.