SOLVED: Cant rdp into xp

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
This is strange. I have one box that I cannot rdp into from anywhere. I can browse it remotely, I can vnc into it, I can ping it, I can run remote mmc's for it, but I cannot rdp into it. This was working at one point in the past.

Things Ive done to troubleshoot:

RDP enabled
Firewall turned off
Checked remote desktop users group
Checked secpol.msc for "allowed to logon through terminal services group" memberships
Checked all related services
Checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server key is set to 0
Ran regsvr32 remotepg.dll

Computer is in correct OU and getting all correct policies. No additional software firewalls or av are installed.

stumped icon_sad.gif

Comments

• UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    What happens if you try connecting to port 3389 with telnet? That should at least narrow down the possibilities.

telnet 1.2.3.4 3389
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    What happens if you try connecting to port 3389 with telnet? That should at least narrow down the possibilities.

telnet 1.2.3.4 3389

Yeah, thats how I figured it out. Also ran netstat -a and saw that it was listening on 3391.

Checked registry for this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber and the value was at 3391. All other machines are set to 3389 so I changed it on this machine and now I can rdp into it. Wonder how that happened...

All is well now.

For reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759/

Thanks