Cool Network Tools!

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi All,

Just thought I get a feel for what free open source network tools that some of you Network Admins/Engineers might use for anything related to Routers, Switches or Firewalls.

I like and use the Following:

Putty, Secure CRT, Network Stumbler, IP Scanner, IP Subnet Calculator, NTOP, TFTP Server and ASDM-IDM.

Anything else you pro's can add to the list that might be cool and useful.

:)

Comments

• jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    RS_MCP wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just thought I get a feel for what free open source network tools that some of you Network Admins/Engineers might use for anything related to Routers, Switches or Firewalls.

I like and use the Following:

Putty, Secure CRT, Network Stumbler, IP Scanner, IP Subnet Calculator, NTOP, TFTP Server and ASDM-IDM.

Anything else you pro's can add to the list that might be cool and useful.

:)

The best tool of all is Wireshark.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Wireshark, NMAP, Cacti, MRTG and Nagios.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    the best of all? nmap, if you don't know how to use it, you're selling yourself short.

also a good idea to know how to use tcpdump in case you run into a time where you can't use wireshark

and I'd be remiss in failing to mention smokeping
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    although it's not in the same class of tool as all the others listed. I'm a huge fan of editpadpro. Makes it really easy to do configs in and use regex search/replace.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Wireshark, NMAP, Cacti, MRTG and Nagios.

+5 right there.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Powergui is pretty nice.
    And Secure CRT is far from free and open source.
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've also been using iperf more and more recently.
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All listed have been good tools. It depend on what you are trying to track which makes a big difference.

Ntop is a nice little program for getting a feel of the network.

But if you want to get your fingers dirty run wireshark and mirror a port on your main router. Nothing gets past it but be ready cause you really need to learn wireshark and get a book on it.

Amazon.com: Wireshark Network Analysis: The Official Wireshark Certified Network Analyst Study Guide (978189393999icon_cool.gif: Laura Chappell, Gerald Combs: Books

I persoanlly would not use wireshark at home. Ntop, MRTG are all I need for my home network.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Nessus as well.