Options

Not sure how to put this on my resume...

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I met with a recruiter today that wants to submit me to a large financial corporation for an open IT support position, the salary is about double of what I would be making now and it's a permanent hire position.. the recruiter is basically just getting a finders fee.

He wants me to redo my resume, we talked for about an hour today and he said that my resume looks like i'm not that experienced when I obviously am after talking to me. On my resume I have all the technical skills listed, but for work experience i've only have my current help desk job that i've been at for 7 months. Most of my experience comes from playing around in my home labs and back in college I use to do freelance work such as your basic home computer repair, small office setups etc and I also use to build computers cheaply from discount retailers then resell them for a profit on ebay.

He wants me to put this on my resume. I'm worried about putting "Independent contractor" or something on their though under experience b/c all these jobs were paid under the table, I never filed any taxes or anything... I would just advertise on craigslist and word of mouth, come fix your computer, you pay me $30-50 and i'd go on my way. I mean I guess this stuff does count as experience... but how in the world is a company going to verify that outside of taking my word for it.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They won't. If you say that you're an independent consultant all they can do is call your customer base.

Listen to the recruiter. Just because you weren't getting a legit pay check doesn't mean you weren't working and getting experience.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    So what job title should I give myself for this sort of easy freelance work... I don't know, I just feel weird about putting "independent contractor" on my resume for craigslist work.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One recruiter told me to write: Independent Consultant – Freelance

I was in the same situation, for sometime I have to do many jobs like contract
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    How does this sound? I'm just worried that putting this on my resume and not having any 1099 forms to back it up will either make me look A.) Like I **** the government or B.) Like i'm full of **** and didn't do any side work.

[FONT=&quot]Self Employeed[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Memphis, TN January 2004 - December 2009[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Independent Consultant - Freelance[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Desktop/Laptop hardware and software repair for various end users[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Virus removal and system hardening[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Built desktops from scratch to customer specifications[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Installed and configured home and small office networks[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The potential employer will probably be more interested in the skills you learned which will benefit the company if they hire you. I'd probably be having better luck in my job search if I listed some of the freelance things I did like that. Things I did while working at a non-IT job, on the side.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it looks ok for me.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.