Options

Community College to University

duckyyduckyy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
If you are in a 2 year community college and are allowed to transfer 30 credit hours to a "Applied Computer Science Degree" in a University, does that mean you don't have to go to school for the full four years? After completing the 2 year college.

And is an Applied Computer Science degree better than a IST diploma, say in Networking?

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Yes.
    Yes.

Thanks.
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    30 credits is almost a full year in college so you may only have to do an extra 3 years. Your best bet would be to speak to an adviser to check what exactly will transfer. Have you taken any core classes ? ex. English comp, math history etc. Im pretty sure some of these would transfer to a 4 year school and save you even more time.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    EJizzel wrote: »
    30 credits is almost a full year in college so you may only have to do an extra 3 years. Your best bet would be to speak to an adviser to check what exactly will transfer. Have you taken any core classes ? ex. English comp, math history etc. Im pretty sure some of these would transfer to a 4 year school and save you even more time.

12 credits is "Full time" so 30 credits would be 2 1/3 semesters, by the numbers.

Truthfully, a "four year degree" is nonexistant. You can either have no life, no job and spend every waking moment studying and shave 15 years off of your life and get a Bachelors in 4 years or you can take a "full time" schedule of 12 hours and get it in 5-6.
  • Options
    EJizzel wrote: »

The two year program already has a required schedule of courses.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    12 credits is "Full time" so 30 credits would be 2 1/3 semesters, by the numbers.

Truthfully, a "four year degree" is nonexistant. You can either have no life, no job and spend every waking moment studying and shave 15 years off of your life and get a Bachelors in 4 years or you can take a "full time" schedule of 12 hours and get it in 5-6.

So, I shouldn't transfer? o.o
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    most 4 yr schools accept up to 60-70 credits from 2 yr schools.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    most 4 yr schools accept up to 60-70 credits from 2 yr schools.

My brochure says 30 credits will transfer.
  • Options
    duckyy wrote: »
    My brochure says 30 credits will transfer.

damn, sucks to be you, cuz just about every 4 yr school i know will allow 60-70 from a 2yr school, and up to 90 from a 4yr school
    Link Me
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some larger universities accept more credits, some less. It completely depends on exactly which 2 year, and which 4 year school you are looking at.

The amount you can save can be huge though, a small community/tech college may charge $100 a credit hour, even a state university is 300+ an hour.. EASY, if it's private it's more like 600+.

so, if you take 60 credits at a 2 year school that is $6000, you get 30 of them to transfer. That = 30x300 = $9000. So, a 4 year school would have charged you 3k more for the same credit...

It's a no brainer, do the cc first if they guarentee credits.. You'll get an AS degree and end up saving $3k right off the bat.

EDIT: look around online some in your state, there may be an online program (big CC/tech school) that could transfer 60+ credits to a uni and save you boatloads of cash, while having the same benefits.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options

Most people consider a school year to be two semesters. Since a BS generally requires ~120 credits, you're looking at 30 credits per year. So for people not taking summer classes, that's 15/15. You can do 12/12/6, of course, but that's not the norm I don't think.
    Truthfully, a "four year degree" is nonexistant. You can either have no life, no job and spend every waking moment studying and shave 15 years off of your life and get a Bachelors in 4 years

It just so happens that most 18-22 year olds don't have a life and have plenty of time on their hands to meet that very requirement. And someone who really planned ahead can knock a year off of their college time by testing out via AP, CLEP and DANTES tests. If you're really motivated, you can knock out a BS in 2 - 2.5 years between credit by test and summer classes.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most people consider a school year to be two semesters. Since a BS generally requires ~120 credits, you're looking at 30 credits per year. So for people not taking summer classes, that's 15/15. You can do 12/12/6, of course, but that's not the norm I don't think.

The school I am in for my A.A.S, I would have to do 16 credits a quarter to get out in 2 years. Most of the schools in my area have the BS degrees set up as 17-19 credits a quarter in order for you to get out in 4 years. Alot of schools are offering summer classes though, for those who want to get done faster.
  • Options
    OoteR wrote: »

It's a no brainer, do the cc first if they guarentee credits.. You'll get an AS degree and end up saving $3k right off the bat.

In Alabama, they have a road map of classes for you to take at a two-year which are guaranteed to transfer to any four-year college in the state. You even sign an agreement.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    duckyy wrote: »

So, I shouldn't transfer? o.o

If you want a four-year degree, I don't think you have a choice. ;)

What program are you transferring into? Your main problem is you're coming from an "applied" track to a BS track. AAS doesn't transfer as well as AS and it's not designed to.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    importantbrianimportantbrian Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the community college thing before I went on to get my BS, and I was able to transfer everything I took. As long as you are going from a regionally accredited community college to a regionally accredited four-year university you shouldn’t have a problem. Although, as has been stated already, it may be the applied part of the community college program that is the problem. Have you taken any humanities, history, and literature that kind of thing? If not that is probably the problem. You have to take these things to get a BS from any accredited program, and most people knock them out in their first two years. In fact in my opinion that is the value of a community college. Take your core coursework there on the cheap and then get all your in major classes done at the university.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I tried going the 4 year route in my younger days and burnt out and dropped out.
    I would recommend to anyone out there to go to an accreditted CC for the first 2 years and then transfer into a uni. Save money and less chance of burnout.
    Get your core classes knocked out. If it ends up taking 5-6 years you'll still have a degree, which I don't have, yet. Getting mine through WGU after all these years.
    BTW don't rack up too much in student loans if you can help it, mine took 10 years to pay off.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    In fact in my opinion that is the value of a community college. Take your core coursework there on the cheap and then get all your in major classes done at the university.

Troof. Just to really drive home this point, I took a Calculus class @ a community college. It was taught by the Calculus professor from Drexel university. I got the exact same thing I would've gotten from Drexel, except probably 20% of the cost. Unless you're going to a major university, where the name alone will set you up for life (Harvard, Yale, MIT), I think taking two years at the CC level to get adjusted to the lifestyle, followed by transfering to a four-year is the money play. I wish I had done that my first time around instead of getting caught up in the college hype when I wasn't mature enough to handle the responsibility. If you wash out at a junior college, you're only out a couple thousand in student loans, as opposed to $10k+ with nothing to show for it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I tried going the 4 year route in my younger days and burnt out and dropped out.
    I would recommend to anyone out there to go to an accreditted CC for the first 2 years and then transfer into a uni. Save money and less chance of burnout.
    Get your core classes knocked out. If it ends up taking 5-6 years you'll still have a degree, which I don't have, yet. Getting mine through WGU after all these years.
    BTW don't rack up too much in student loans if you can help it, mine took 10 years to pay off.

i did the JuCo route for a year, then i transferred to a 4 yr school. i kinda wished i never did the juco thing in the first place. for me personally, if i could do it all over again, i'd go str8 to a 4 yr school, i'd just probably pick a different school from where i went. i had the best time of my life in college, met some of my real good friends there, made some good connections in college. it was definitely the best thing for me to do, and i wouldnt trade the 4 yr school experience for anything in the world....even tho it took me 5 years & 2 schools to get my B.S.

and to the OP, if the school(s), you're lookin @ to transfer too are only accepting 30 credits max, i would either look @ other schools that accept 60(basically the associates degree) or just leave the 2 yr school after you get your 30 credits and go to the school of choice. would make no sense to get your AAS and then 30 of your 60 credits dont transfer....
    Link Me
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    You have different types of degrees at the CC level, an AA or AS is typically focused on fulfilling the first 2 years of a 4 year program and thus most (if not all) of the credits would transfer. An AAS is typically more career-oriented and thus most of the coursework is focused on learning skills versus fulfilling general education requirements. Most AAS degrees are considered to be terminal.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    I am talking about an Applied Computer Science Degree. Not AAS

o.o
  • Options
    ^^^
    so like i said in my other post, if you're goin to transfer to a school that only accepts 30 credits, it makes no sense to finish your associates since all your credits wont transfer. just knock out the general education classes, and then take your core & electives @ the 4 yr school
    Link Me