Options

Learning tools

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys thinking of taking the plung and going for this exam as my first I.T cert, I'm going to invest in the following resources

Microsoft Press
Transcender
And train signal videos

Has anyone used the train signal videos are they any good? Just want to ensure they are good before I make the plunge.

Many Thanks

Are these materials still relevant to the exam or are they outdated?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to be a pain but forgot to ask, when are they actually retiring this exam?

Cheers

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They have not issued a date yet (that I am aware of). But yes they will retire it eventually. It has been around a long time and Microsoft is pushing their new line of certifications. I expect it to be retired within the next year, but that is only my guess. I did see where several of their older exams are scheduled to be retired in October.

They do reserve the right to retire the exam at any moment, so starting it right now is a risk. If you are going to, don't take it lightly. Devote yourself to studying and get it over ASAP.

As far as the tools, Transcender is a great tool. I am also using it on this exam and have used it on a couple in the past. I am also using the Microsoft Offical Academic Course book. It is an alright book but I do believe there are better ones and cheaper ones too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you going after this exam because you are currently working with this technology? What are your goals?
  • Options
    TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope you enjoy the course. Windows XP is still being used by plenty of businesses out there so having a strong knowledge of it is definitely useful. But like all technology, it will become dated fast so you'll want to get up to date on Windows 7 at a certain point, as I'm sure that'll be old news too icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jayesserjayesser Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have Trainsignal and find some of the accents difficult to follow if they arent naturalised English. They are ok for what they are
  • Options
    Thought I would update you guys, going to aiming to kick this exam in the nuts, Decided to jump in the deep end and go for this exam as I have read the objectives and it seems like a pretty intense exam with lots of new knowledge for me to learn.

the following items will be used for studying,

Microsoft Press Book
    Train Signal 16 hours worth of videos
    Pro metric Testing software

1 Machine running Windows XP Professional with Server 2k3 running in Vmware (RIS, IPSEC)
    1 Laptop to be used to test images,

decided best way for me to study would be to read a chapter in the book highlight important information, take chapter review and then watch video on module to reinforce the information, Server 2003 will be used as I have read even though this is a XP exam you need to know quite a bit about the inner workings of Active directory, RIS, IPSEC so I will be able to tinker and break things and learn.

Looking forward to the challenge hope to have this done within a 2-3 months will update you guys on my progress and any problems I have :)

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't personally think it should take you that long but it depends on the amount of time you put into studying it. Having Server 2003 set up will definitely help as I've heard it is less an OS test and more having to do with incorporating it in an enterprise environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.