Options

Ever walk out of an interview?

2»

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I don't get the same amount of respect in return that I'm showing, I will bounce like a boss.

I'm sorry but I had to after reading that....

Like A Boss (ft. Seth Rogen) - Uncensored Version - YouTube -- NSFW!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did anyone notice that this thread was started in 2010?

I guess everyone has that job they never should have taken. One I had back in my early days of participating in TE was really rough.
    Here were the red flags:
    * HR Manager with a concerned look on her face: "[CFO's Name] is very uhhh.. (sideways glance) ...demanding.
    * The person who had managed the IT systems before had died - nothing was documented.
    * I was shown the systems during the interview...

This was a part of it. The other part was in the basement and was connected tot he other end of that mass of cables coming from in the floor. 12 locations across 2 states. That was their IT infrastructure.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was once interviewing for a position at a hospital and after dealing with the IT Manager told them to forget about contacting me. Got through the tests and the HR interview without issue, the HR person said they were excited because I would be the third person in the department with an IT degree (lots of Bio and Music majors). She asked what time would be good for a 15 minute phone interview with the IT Manager. I said I usually take lunch at 2 PM, so that would work out best.

A few days later my phone rings at about 11 AM as I was in the middle of a troubleshooting call. Again at 4:30 PM I get another call from the Manager. I call her at 5 when I get out, but she was gone for the day so I left a message letting her know when I was on lunch (thought perhaps the information wasn't relayed). The next day I get two phone calls at the same times as the day before. The second call she leaves a message saying I was very hard to get a hold of, it is only a 15 minute interview, and that this didn't look good for me. I called her back and left her a message letting her know I was no longer interested in the position. I also emailed the HR person letting her know I was no longer interested and why. Suddenly the next day I got a call at 2, but had decided that I wasn't going to give them the time of day.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Great stories here ...there is cool website for wacky IT stuff like this ...kind of geared towards programers but funny still

Tales from the Interview - The Daily WTF
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've (luckily) never been in an interview that has gotten me riled up enough to leave. I have cut one short though. I usually make it a habit of printing out the advertised job description and I bring it with me and check things off or note things down on it that I want to keep in mind later for consideration if/when I receive an offer letter. I went into one interview and after a few questions that were totally out of the scope of the description, I asked the interviewer if it was for xyz position. He said yes, and I produced the job description and asked if this was the correct description. He said yes again, so I asked him where all the stuff he was talking about (he was asking questions about Solaris and some other stuff; absolutely no network related questions for a network administrator position) He pointed to the last point that said "and other duties as defined." I asked him how much of the other 15-20 "primary" duties on the description he was going to ask about and he said not much as it actually wasn't the focus of the position so I let him know that I did not think I was an appropriate fit for the position and apologized for wasting his time as I misinterpreted the job description (even though I obviously didn't) I then suggested that perhaps he should reevaluate the description as it may be interpreted incorrectly by others and he admitted that he had interviewed two other people who said the same. He thanked me for my honesty and we parted ways amicably.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    I've (luckily) never been in an interview that has gotten me riled up enough to leave. I have cut one short though. I usually make it a habit of printing out the advertised job description and I bring it with me and check things off or note things down on it that I want to keep in mind later for consideration if/when I receive an offer letter. I went into one interview and after a few questions that were totally out of the scope of the description, I asked the interviewer if it was for xyz position. He said yes, and I produced the job description and asked if this was the correct description. He said yes again, so I asked him where all the stuff he was talking about (he was asking questions about Solaris and some other stuff; absolutely no network related questions for a network administrator position) He pointed to the last point that said "and other duties as defined." I asked him how much of the other 15-20 "primary" duties on the description he was going to ask about and he said not much as it actually wasn't the focus of the position so I let him know that I did not think I was an appropriate fit for the position and apologized for wasting his time as I misinterpreted the job description (even though I obviously didn't) I then suggested that perhaps he should reevaluate the description as it may be interpreted incorrectly by others and he admitted that he had interviewed two other people who said the same. He thanked me for my honesty and we parted ways amicably.

Same thing happen to me today. I was really mad but I just ignored everything, answered the questions I could answer and wasted their time as well.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Great stories here ...there is cool website for wacky IT stuff like this ...kind of geared towards programers but funny still

Tales from the Interview - The Daily WTF
    Ha-ha-ha, this one is fantastic:
    Riddled (from Grig Larson)
    Not too long ago, I applied for systems administrator job. The interviews were going very well, and I had to return twice because they flew people in to meet me. One of them was a guy who, God love him, seemed like a great person but his interview skills were a little hackneyed. He asked a lot of Job Interview 2.0 questions, which, up until this point, I had never heard of.
    "If you had to move Mount Fuji," he asked, "how would you do it?" I recall thinking, "why is he asking this? What does he mean by Mount Fuji?"
    "You mean, Mount Fuji, the volcano in Japan?"
    He looked confused I asked. "Er, yes. How would you move it?"
    What he didn't know was I was a science fiction author as well. I spent a lot of time asking odd questions like these. "Why kind of life form might evolve on Mars?" and so on. But like a writer, I had to have a principal motive of the protagonist.

"Why?" I asked.
    The man chuckled as if he had never thought about that before. "Just how would you move it?"
    I felt I didn't explain my question. "I mean, who is my customer? Why does he or she wish to move Mount Fuji? I mean, to move Mount Fuji seems like the middle of a plan; it's a verb that has an end mean. Like, does my client want the rubble? Do they want to move it 10 meters to the left? What drives such a vast plan?"
    "Yes, say you want to move it... a mile to the left. How would you do it?"
    I rolled my eyes in thought. "Wow, um. First, we'd have to get the permission of the Japanese government. I would imagine my client would have to be pretty persuasive to get past that hurdle; Mount Fuji is a national treasure of Japan. Whole economies are connected to it. It would vastly interrupt tourist industry and all surrounding towns connected to the mountain."

The man looked at me, completely dumbstruck.
    "The environment impact would also have to be addressed. One does not simply move a volcano. I would imagine I'd study the geological hot spot in detail because once an exposed magma chamber were released, I could only imagine the risk of millions of people with hot lava, volcanic gasses, and the pyroclastic flow and eruption potential. Then you'd have to explain to all the environmentalists and convince the scientific world that this sort of project was necessary. And who is funding such a project?"
    "You're over-thinking this," he said, "I just want to know how you would technically."
    "Again, for what end result? I can't answer that without knowing what the client wishes."
    "He just wants to move it."
    "But why? I could imagine a lot cheaper and less destructive ways to get what someone might want. And frankly, what would be different than taking a kilometer of rock from one side and slapping it on the other? Is that considered moving it?"
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I've cut one short before and walked out. I went in for a position that was posted on the net as a Server / Net Admin position. Got to the interview, HR person was running 20 minutes late; seems to be a common occurrence. Got in there and she leads off telling me that everyone in the company has 10% of the salary taken off the top and donated to a specific charity (one that I don't support). You have no choice in the matter either. So we move along and the she starts describing the position. Instead of being a server / net admin position, it was a 100% voice system admin. This was not even close to what was posted on the job site. She starts asking about my experience with voice; I had none at that point in my career. After berating me a bit on not coming close to being qualified for the spot I pull out the actual job posting from the internet, slide it across the table to her, and tell her that perhaps they should have put that in the posting and we were done.

Needless to say, I didn't get that job.

You made my night, i'm LMAO.
    Probably one of the worse cases.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Once i attended to an interview for a networking engineer position according to them: in charge of testing voice devices(softswitches, lan swtiches, pbx's) they basically had a contract with the biggest vendors competing with cisco to test their devices, at the beginning for me it looked like a great job but when talked to the HR lady the first thing she said was about her difficult personal life she was in deep water because of some issues, i mean i was nice with her but after one hour i was tired of hearing her talk.

When we finally got to technical interview they asked me a lot about programming and asked me a lot of troubleshooting questions about how to find errors in C and C# code and how to make python scripts i was able to answer some questions but they got to deep into software code troubleshooting and how to develop certain things which i could not answer properly and i felt out of the water so i told her that i was not the right person, that she should look for a different type of engineer with a different background and said thanks but she did not want me to leave, instead she brought the hiring manager which kept asking me about C and C# and coding and coding and coding once again i apologized and told them to look at other resumes but they were pushing to stay and to take the job they said i was good enough and that i should take the opportunity and once again i said it was not what i was looking for and that i was not ready for such type of responsibilities and that i didn't want to get fired so was useless to take a position where i was not going to be able to perform properly.

They printed a copy of the contract and gave it to me, once again(4th time) i said NO, they told me: at least take it and think about it and after 2 hours of time wasted i was sick,tired, angry and about to loose my manners.
    The hiring manager asked if could stay for another 30 minutes and if I was willing to take another tech test for a position that i might be interesting in, i said ok if it is a short test i'll do it. He came back with test and it was mainly python and C(again, my words fade away) they did not understand i was not a software engineer, i failed the test with an score of 55 of 65 i don't recall now and they anyways wanted me to stay and discuss about more tech stuff then i finally reached my boiling point and told him, dude are trying to humiliate me because is not funny i learned this stuff @college which was long time ago i'm not a software engineer and you should know that already so please stop this i have other things to do and i'm not interested and he said OK thanks for your time and sorry.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think I've ever seen a sentence that long in my life, that's very impressive actually!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you're in a BIG city that's a quick way to be black listed.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Lmfao :)
    i don't think i've ever seen a sentence that long in my life, that's very impressive actually!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)