Passed the CCNA, again!

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

it is with the greatest of pleasure that I call myself a CCNA again icon_smile.gif

I passed the exam back in Spring 2005 (when it was still 640-801) but it expired before I could move on to CCNP for personal reasons. Now I am back on track and this time I am sure that I will go down the CCNP road. Material for the BCMSN is already on my desk and I'm gonna start once I get back from vacation which (hopefully) starts the mid of next week.

Going into the exam I was quite confident (I had the "let's just make this official" attitude) but the first question really threw me off. I really had no clue. Usually I read through all the answers, then pick the best one and afterwards go through the other answers and find reasons for eliminating them. But on the very first question that didn't work. I just had no freaking idea. I was bummed. I thought if this happens a few more times I am toast and that would have been the first failed exam for me ever. The bad start continued for a few questions (I had a total of 50) but I got better and more confident in the second half. I had a lot of Simlets/Testlets/Simulations and that was probably the biggest difference compared to my first CCNA exam. I have to say that the new CCNA is really tougher than the old one. When I reached the last question (with 10 minutes left on the clock) I thought I failed. The seconds it took to calculate my score where grueling. Then the result appeared: 937, PASS. That really made my day.

Well, today is also my 30th Birthday so that was the present I wanted for myself. I can now look forward to my vacation (traveling to the USA) and then hit the BCMSN books when I return in Mid-May. I'll try to nail BCMSN before it goes away and then probably go for ROUTE and TSHOOT. At least, that's the plan.

As to my study resources: I used Todd Lammle's CCNA book (newer edition of course) and the videos from CBT-Nuggets (excellent stuff). Combined with my small lab (a bunch of 25xx) and some hands-on job experience (I am a system/network-admin taking care of about 400 servers and around 20 Cisco devices) got me all set.

Best of luck to everybody who is still currently working on the CCNA. Make sure that you can subnet and that you know a lot about Layer-2 and Layer-3 stuff. It's a difficult exam but it is a very rewarding feeling to pass.
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Congrats!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Congrats!

You sound just like me as I passed my first CCNA in 2005 too and let it expire....and now recently just passed last week myself so crazy timing!!

Good luck.....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

The vacation is just an extended CCNA Celebration drunken_smilie.gif -- right? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    Congrats! Enjoy your holiday. :)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on passing and good luck going forward.
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Nice work!!
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS on your pass... enjoy your vacation to the U.S. of A.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations to both of you. lordy I do hope that Iceland does not spoil your trip. Mother Earth does seem to be excitable these last six months. Fantasy Island it's not
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
  • irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□