Configuring 2620

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was trying setup telnet on this router which that connects to a 2950 . I can ping the switch from the router, but can't do the reverse.

Do I need to configure the "router on stick" configuration for it to communicate or a trunking configuration between the two?

I have only heard of "router on stick', but thought it would be fun to do too. I assume that is just creating the subinterfaces.

icon_study.gif
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ahhh got it ... that's one to remember to for the exam...

show interfaces fa0/17 switchport (router wasn't trunking)

now I can telnet ...
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    arghhhhh! Now I can't configure the subinterfaces with an IP address. I keep getting this error:

R1(config)#int fa0/0.1
    R1(config-subif)#ip address 192.168.0.225 255.255.255.240

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that
    subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q, or ISL vLAN.

R1(config-subif)#

The encapsulation is not 802.1q on the fa0/0 interface is what I am gathering... and need to do something with vlan configuration?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try encapsulation dot1q x under subif mode where x is the vlan.
    DPG wrote: »
    Try encapsulation dot1q x under subif mode where x is the vlan.

I was following the example that came up on cisco.com, but I can't get the IP configured first on the subif... the step you are suggesting comes after the ip address assignment.

So that is where I am stuck with the error. I tried it before, just in case and its an unrecognized command. icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    R1(config)#int fa0/0.1
    R1(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 1

You have to set the encapsulation first.
    Check your IOS version. I don't think the IP Base supports trunking. You need IP Plus or better.
    R1(config)#int fa0/0.1
    R1(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 1

You have to set the encapsulation first.

R1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    R1(config)#int fa0/0.1
    R1(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Check your IOS version. I don't think the IP Base supports trunking. You need IP Plus or better.

R1#sh ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(2)XB2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
    Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 12-Dec-01 18:26 by uma
    Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80A408BC

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(2)XB2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

R1 uptime is 3 weeks, 6 days, 5 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-2.XB2.bin"

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 45056K/4096K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID JAD06040LTP (366315077icon_cool.gif
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

I read on the cisco site it to be IOS version 12.1T, or something like that. I thought I had the appropriate software. I guess I can't get it now
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Do a show flash.
    Do a show flash.

R1#show flash

System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 5673176 c2600-i-mz.122-2.XB2.bin
    2 14 2600-i-mz.122-2.XB2.bin [deleted]
    3 14 test.txt [deleted]
    [5673400 bytes used, 11103816 available, 16777216 total]
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    You need at least 64D and 16F for any 12.3 IOS that supports trunking.
    You need at least 64D and 16F for any 12.3 IOS that supports trunking.

Oh well, I guess I will go back to Packet Tracer now I wish I had access to a decent router. Can't afford one right now. Tried nabbing one off ebay, but I don't quite bid high enough to steal one... maybe one day!

I guess that is why I never really configured this one and put it on the back shelf. It seems very limited in what it can do and now that I can't even upgrade the images anymore, makes owning a "pieced together" lab even more difficult to pursue cisco certifications through self studies. Of course, unless you have a few hundred bucks or thousands to spend on gear, with the latest IOS'. icon_cry.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    ROAS works great with PT.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh well, I guess I will go back to Packet Tracer now I wish I had access to a decent router. Can't afford one right now. Tried nabbing one off ebay, but I don't quite bid high enough to steal one... maybe one day!

I guess that is why I never really configured this one and put it on the back shelf. It seems very limited in what it can do and now that I can't even upgrade the images anymore, makes owning a "pieced together" lab even more difficult to pursue cisco certifications through self studies. Of course, unless you have a few hundred bucks or thousands to spend on gear, with the latest IOS'. icon_cry.gif

You also have the option of upgrading the memory in your router. The 2600's have two memory slots that will take 32MB or 64MB 5V 100 pin EDO DRAM DIMMs. If you don't have any laying around, a quick look over ebay turns up pairs of 32MB DIMMs for $15. Plus it gives you an excuse to open the router up and look around inside.

One of the best things I've learned on my home lab was that I could upgrade every one of my routers out of my box of old PC memory. This includes ones that I've spent $10 or less on. Far cry from your estimate of hundreds or even thousands. icon_cool.gif
    alan2308 wrote: »
    One of the best things I've learned on my home lab was that I could upgrade every one of my routers out of my box of old PC memory. This includes ones that I've spent $10 or less on. Far cry from your estimate of hundreds or even thousands. icon_cool.gif

While you can upgrade the hardware, you still cannot upgrade the software image. So if you are stuck with an incompatiable image, you would need to purchase a router with the desired image on it. That makes upgrading the hardware pointless in my situation, if I could not get the image to perform the necessary functions.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52381-good-news-bad-ios-v15.html?highlight=Good+News

I'm not sure if there is any other way to get around that, and if so, it's probably against some TOS. So it seems emulation software would be the best solution (financially speaking) to pursuing any self studies for CCNA... I have PT, and if I had known it's capabilities early on I might not have purchased the 3 switches and router I do have. I have gotten more out of the switches because I was able to upgrade the IOS, but PT does almost exactly what they are capable of.

It's mostly only a problem when I try to use the debug commands, and few configuration limitations. At this point, being able to use the debug commands would be helpful... or maybe not... we'll see on exam day!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52381-good-news-bad-ios-v15.html?highlight=Good+News

I'm not sure if there is any other way to get around that, and if so, it's probably against some TOS. So it seems emulation software would be the best solution (financially speaking) to pursuing any self studies for CCNA... I have PT, and if I had known it's capabilities early on I might not have purchased the 3 switches and router I do have. I have gotten more out of the switches because I was able to upgrade the IOS, but PT does almost exactly what they are capable of.
    The CCNA only tests on 12.4 mainline and you can get by with 12.3. A small version of 12.4 will run on a fully expanded 2600 non XM if you TFTP boot it but it may possibly be unstable due to the lack of memory. 2600XM routers aren't particularly expensive anyway.

IOS 15 isn't necessary and the new licensed feature system is only enabled for the new ISR G2 routers. The 1700, 2600, 2600XM and 3600 routers were dropped part way through 12.4T. The 7200 has been dropped from 15.1T so it will only get updates in 15.0 mainline now but that will be for a long time so I wouldn't worry about dynamips.
    While you can upgrade the hardware, you still cannot upgrade the software image.

Sure you can. With enough memory, your 2600 can be upgraded to a very useful 12.3.

tiersten wrote:
    A small version of 12.4 will run on a fully expanded 2600 non XM if you TFTP boot it but it may possibly be unstable due to the lack of memory. 2600XM routers aren't particularly expensive anyway.

I'll have to give this a try later on since I don't otherwise have anything capable of 12.4. I've always heard that any 12.4 would refuse to boot on a non-XM. I also see there's a few 2600 12.4's that would fit just fine on a 16MB flash.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've always heard that any 12.4 would refuse to boot on a non-XM.
    Nope. The 2600 and 2600XM platform are actually very similar.

Read this guide about TFTP booting. It works the same for 12.4 at least the early versions of it. I'm not sure whether the later mainline versions will work due to increased requirements. 12.4T is out of the question however.

The issue isn't fitting it in flash anyway. It is the lack of memory for IOS to use. I wouldn't use a 12.4 2600 on anything at all apart from a lab though since it'll be unstable and when it does reboot, you'll need to do TFTP and that will add time.
    Thanks for the link. Figuring out TFTP booting is something thats been on my todo list.
    Sure you can. With enough memory, your 2600 can be upgraded to a very useful 12.3.

While your statment is correct, the problem is... I don't have access to any other image and you cannot download it off the Cisco website any longer, unless you have some type of Technical Support Services Agreement.

See below

===================================================

To download this software you must have a valid Technical Support Services Agreement associated to your Cisco.com user ID.
    • If you do not have a Technical Support Services Agreement you can get one through:
      • Your Cisco Account Team if you have a direct purchase agreement with Cisco
      • Your Cisco Partner or Reseller
    • Once you have the Technical Support Services Agreement you must associate your Technical Support Services Agreement to your Cisco.com user ID with Profile Manager
    WIP:

Future Certs: