Options

CCNA Lab/hardware clarification

binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
Looking for clarification:

If i have 1 2950 switch and 2 2650xm (or any of the 2600xm series) routers, is that enough for a CNAA lab? i only have one computer(laptop). I would need a usb to serial adapter yes?

What other import cables do I need?
Currently working on:
ICND1 - TBD
Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Assuming you want to actually get real hardware and do most of the labs then you want 2x2950 and two reasonably recent routers at a minimum. Any of the 2600XM models will do fine including your 2650XM.

Yes. If you don't have a serial port on your laptop then you'll need to get a USB to serial adapter. You'll also need a Cisco console cable which goes from a DB9 plug on the computer end to a RJ45 plug on the route end.
  • Options
    Okay so:

2 x 2950 switches
    2 x 2600xm series routers
    1 x USB-Serial adapter
    1 x Cisco console cable (DB9-RJ45)

My next questions are:

1)How would I connect the routers & switches using 1 computer? Topology example?

2) Can use this setup w/ my Internet cable connection?
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    That's what you will learn on CCNA.

There are lots of ways of connecting them. Normal cat5 straight through or cross over cables for ethernet connections. Serial cables for serial interfaces; fibre cables with fibre interfaces and the CCNA will teach you some of the basic networking technologies that are employed to make data flow from one device to another through the network.

1) You use the console cable to connect into the devices using terminal emulator software (Windows Hyperterminal) so you can configure them for the different topologies you are setting up. There isn't just one topology. You will set up many different ones over time and then tear them apart to create new ones.

2) You can set up your internet to come through your home lab. It is just another topology.
    Kam.
  • Options
    As for terminal emulator software, I am on linux. What do I use konsole?
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    binaryhat wrote: »
    I use minicom. It's CLI-based so you run it in a console app such as konsole. I don't know if there is anything GUI-based like Hyper Terminal for Linux.

With minicom you have to create a default config file (/etc/minicom/minirc.dfl) if the package doesn't include it. Here's mine, setup for connecting to Cisco devices with a USB serial port:
    pu port             /dev/ttyUSB0
    pu baudrate         9600
    pu bits             8
    pu parity           N
    pu stopbits         1
    pu backspace        DEL
    pu rtscts           No

MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use putty on Linux. It does everything I need (term emulator, telnet, ssh) and what I really like is that it's cross platform. The Windows version runs off a thumb drive without installing and is identical to the Linux version (and I'll assume the OSX version as well).
  • Options
    How much should I be looking to spend for the equipment?

2 x 2950's or 3550's switches
    2 x 26n1xm routers (n=1 or 2 or 5)

ebay of course unless there is another option
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    Is this lab going to be for CCNA only, or are you planning to carry some or all of it forward for CCNP studies as well?

If you're only looking at CCNA level labbing, you can find a 2950 standard for $40-$50 plus shipping. I just saw a recent blog post from Wendell Odom saying that that difference between the standard and enhanced image for the 2950 doesn't make much difference for CCNA level work despite the common opinion to the contrary. If you're going to carry this equipment forward or you just want to be 100% sure you wont be missing any features, then consider the 2950 enhanced. They'll go for around double the standard image switches.

I can't say what the 2600xm's should be going for, they're way beyond any of the relics I have in my lab. icon_mrgreen.gif Just remember that when you're pricing it out, the used routers never come with WIC's that are of any use for a home lab. If they even have one, it's always T1 or ISDN. The WIC-1T's that I use can be had for $20 or less, and the cables under $10.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

real nerds use screen
  • Options
    What cable do I need to connect to the console port on a 2950C Switch? I have a laptop. I stupidly bought a USB-DB9 Cable.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same console works for router and switch. DB9 to RJ45
  • Options
    the DB9 end won't work on a laptop.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    I'm still confused. The console port on the switch looks like a RJ45 port. Clearly a USB-DB9 cable won't work. I have a laptop.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    jgladwelljgladwell Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't have a serial port you need a USB to serial adapter
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I'm still confused. The console port on the switch looks like a RJ45 port. Clearly a USB-DB9 cable won't work. I have a laptop.

Newegg.com - SABRENT SBT-USC6M USB to Serial (9-pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable

I bought this one and it works. You still need the console cable though. Oh and the drivers that come on the disk don't have Vista/7 so you have to go to Sabrent's website to get them, takes 2 seconds ;)

Laptop USB -> DB9 Male -> DB9 Female -> RJ45 -> Console Port on Router.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
  • Options
    MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□

If i have 1 2950 switch and 2 2650xm (or any of the 2600xm series) routers, is that enough for a CNAA lab? i only have one computer(laptop). I would need a usb to serial adapter yes?

I would purchase an additional router to act as a frame relay..........

You have the same lab, I just created:

2 - 2950
    2 - 2650XM Kit
    1 - 2520
    I bought an additional back to back cable for the router

Make sure you get enough RAM to support IPv6 and SDM! Also, the up to date IOS....
  • Options
    isaboxisabox Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hey I think at least one more router. Because, you need to practice the frame relay. You need to make one router as a frame relay switch.

But I personally think 4 routers can make a good CCNA lab. one very basic one(Frame relay switch). Others can be used for practicing hub-spoke exercises.

All other(point-to-point, OSPF, EIGRP) can be done with two/ three routes.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    isabox wrote: »
    Hey I think at least one more router. Because, you need to practice the frame relay. You need to make one router as a frame relay switch.

But I personally think 4 routers can make a good CCNA lab. one very basic one(Frame relay switch). Others can be used for practicing hub-spoke exercises.

All other(point-to-point, OSPF, EIGRP) can be done with two/ three routes.

I hope that helps.

If you can afford a third or even a fourth router than by all means jump on it, but since Frame Relay is really the only thing that you need it for, I have a hard time recommending it too strongly. You can practice Frame Relay in GNS3 and use as many routers if you want (or your computer can handle).

But like I said, if you can afford it, then go for it. Especially if you're moving on to the CCNP because you'll need at least 4 good routers there.