Options

Eoe

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
At the end of applications there always seems to be a "Self-Identify" section. I have filled out a bunch of apps lately and I have noticed that I simply don't fill out that section anymore. How do you all handle this? Do you fill it out?
Decline? Why or Why not?

BTW: This is not the thread to argue about EOE or anything like that, just to discuss that section on an app.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For a job app, I don't fill that section out. I don't want anything in that section to be the thing to put me over the top or the thing that put someone else over the top.

Generally for a job app any optional section I don't fill out, just the pertinent info like name, address, history, and no I'm not a convicted criminal.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    It can't legally be used against or for you in terms of a hiring decision, but I've been told by inside sources at a couple employers that they sometimes base a decision on it... not the information, but the election to not fill it out. Said it makes it seem like the person has something to hide.

I don't fill them out, though. I wouldn't want to work for a company with that mindset anyways.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.