Options

HD problem, maybe you guys can help.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
As usual, I can't figure this one out and I'm feeling dumb, so I'll ask.

I have this corrupt drive I need to get data off of. It won't boot, so I'm guessing some system files are corrupt. I have been able to boot with the drive set as a slave before, and actually saw the drive/data. Now, the BIOS will see the drive and the machine will boot with no trouble, but Windows doesn't see it.

Even if some boot files were bad on the drive, I should still be able to see the data on the drive...anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Ugh...the drive is trashed. It's showing up in device manager as well. I know there's data on the drive...do you know of any possible way of getting the data?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Ahh, yes, the trashed drive....my specialty, as I've had like 4 drives go bad, hence I no longer use Maxtor drives, but alas, back to your question. If you can spend money, use a data recovery agent. It's not cheap, though and could cost a few hundred if the data is that important. I would try to use PC File Inspector first though. It's free, and can usually find most files, as long they are not individually corrupt. I'm guessing Windows doesn't see it because the OS files are no good, and there's probably some lame reason M$ would give for this.

good luck
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    I think the FAT is just shot. It's not even recognizing the drive even though it's hooked up as a slave. Though the machine knows it's hooked up....Windows just doesn't see data on it.
  • Options
    I would also try maybe Partition Magic. I almost forgot. It has some useful options, and I believe it may be able to replace the FAT. What aboot a re-install?? If Bios sees the drive, maybe Windows will see it with an install.......unless the OS files are what you want to keep. One last thing, try burning an image. Maybe you could get something to read the data off a CD, plus you'll have a backup if the drive completely fails. If it's a Maxtor, and you see the code F40 in startup, the drive has physically failed. I hate Maxtor.
  • Options
    PC File Inspector is working perfect. I'm in the process of recovering lost files right now. Thanks a lot, this program will come in useful in the future as well, I'm sure.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good call Ricka182 - I usually do a couple drive a month at work and File Inspector and OnTrack Easy Recovery are my usual tools.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    I wasn't able to recover much with Inspector File Recovery. Most of the files were just random characters.

Partition Magic shows the drive as 'Unallocated'.
  • Options
    Ahhh, nevermind.

I used 'Find Lost Files' on another part of the drive and it found everything by the looks of it. This is taking forever.

If this wasn't for my dad, I would be making a nice bit of cash from this one. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Thats why I use OnTrack Easy Recovery mostly - will see a drive when the OS doesn't.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    File Inspector is doing a nice job. It saw the drive when Windows couldn't, but a lot of the files are just trashed.
  • Options
    The last thing I could suggest, if you have the money....Data Recovery is expensive, but they usually can get any type of file, and as long the drive is not physically trashed, have a good success rate, as they will strip the drive down to platters and read thoseindividually. You could also try to see if you get the drive recognized in DOS. Hook up an extra drive, and copy whatever you see. Screw Windows.
  • Options
    The drive isn't a valid type. It's not recognized as being FAT or NTFS, so I doubt anything will be able to "read" it. I'll try it in DOS though, just to see.

I'll let my dad know about the data recovery. He has a bunch of family history/geneology stuff on this drive, especially emails with relatives that have since passed away. Though, why he didn't bother to backup such sensitive data is beyond me... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    With Easy Recovery you can set it to RAW - it will pick up files from FAT or NTFS and put then in groups, such as MPEG, BMP, DOC, GIF, ZIP etc.
    The thing I have noticed with data recovery software though is that ZIP files tend to be corrupted easily, but using something like Zip Recovery or Zip Repair you can usually get most of the files out of the zip folder.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    The .pdf files are ALL corrupt on this drive, yet I successfully recovered every single email, around 12,000 of them.

Know any free software that will repair pdf's?

This PC Inspector software seems to be a little dumb, in that if you tell it to save a large group of files, it will freeze up. Thus forcing you to go through the 50 minute process of finding the lost files again. Yet if you save one at a time, or in small groups, you'll have no trouble.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the slowness of File Inspector. My bad. Glad to hear you got some of the files. I don't know of any Pdf fixers, but I'll post if I find one.
  • Options
    All the ones I can find that claim to repair them, are paid versions.