confused on my SQL 2005 database training

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
I decided to pursue the training for 2570B - Maintaining SQL 2005 Database training even though I am handling mostly network infrastructure because part of my job is assuring that sql databases are backed up and secure. This is my second day and im already confused and lost on some topic especially scripting (i have no experience on this field) and most SQL terminologies (intergration/reporting). My job is just to make sure that the databases can be backup/restore, monitoring, and in case of the disaster, DRP should be in place. I hope I can cope up with this training. I dont have plan to implement SQL's, my especialty lies on Infra and Messaging (yeah I need to study pwershell soon for exchange 2010). Do you think that it is right that I did this training?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes. When I first started with SQL Server my training and past experience was mostly with infrastructure and it took me a while to really understand some of the concepts.

You should check out the following resources to help you.
    1. http://www.techexams.net/forums/sql-server-2000-2005-exams/52826-mcitp-dba-2008-resources.html The first two books I list are essential reading for you. Pay special attention to the final section "Opperations" in the SQL Server Administration in Action book.
    2. SQL Server PowerShell Extensions These are a set of PowerShell modules that make managing SQL Server a snap with PowerShell.

If you are currently in charge of ensuring SQL server instances are being properly backed up and maintained, that is where I would start. Make sure you can do all of that without even having to think about it.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Thanks RobertKaucher, I will check out this resources. On our third day of training, my instructor encourage us to study T-SQL or powershell to better understand the command line. We are now in Monitoring SQL and he is now teaching us the DDL triggers. XML knowledge is also important us the results of the triggers are on XML. I hope I can still cope up on the next chapter....
    jojopramos wrote: »
    Thanks RobertKaucher, I will check out this resources. On our third day of training, my instructor encourage us to study T-SQL or powershell to better understand the command line. We are now in Monitoring SQL and he is now teaching us the DDL triggers. XML knowledge is also important us the results of the triggers are on XML. I hope I can still cope up on the next chapter....

Just remember this is the start not the end. Keep studying and eventually you will get it. Combine what you learn with experience and you will be fine.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Thanks for the advise. I will just continue my studies through MS Press Books and Books Online.
    Good luck and continue to contrubute here.

We need all the activity we can get in the DB forums!