VMWare Workstation Help

ep_ricablancajrep_ricablancajr Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to this vmware workstation 7 and need your help on how to create a LAN using this.I installed this on my laptop.

Currently I created a team with 2 virtual machine. I want to practice DNS infrastructure using vmware.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I remember correctly after you create your team you edit team settings and check VLAN1 for both. That's all Ive done to mine and it has been working fine for me so far.
    Which exam are you stuying for?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can team them together and place on the same vlan as mentioned or you can connect them to one of the arbitrary vmnet nics not used for any other connection. Both will achieve what you want.
  • ep_ricablancajrep_ricablancajr Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I'm just doing self study. will this work on 1 physical laptop?
    1 team with 2 virtual machine.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually I'm just doing self study. will this work on 1 physical laptop?
    1 team with 2 virtual machine.
    Do you mean 1 team with 2 guests?
    If your laptop has at least 2 GB of RAM it should work fine. I have only 2 GB and I can run 3 guests but I have to run it with more swapping as the memory bottlenecks.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    yes,

i have installed the vmware workstation on 1 physical laptop since i only have one. I created 1 team with two virtual machine.

however i can't network the virtual machines.
    don't seem to know what's the problem

i'm very new to this
    Hi

I managed to connect my vmware team with each other.I can ping the 3 guests with each other.

Currently I have one host with 3 guests. These 3 guests are in 1 team.

I wanted these guests to connect to the internet. My internet provider is starhub. i used my hubstation to connect to the internet directly. a hubstation is device for cable tv which also have a lan port to connect to the internet.

Please help.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Several options. Add a second nic to each vm and set it on the Bridged or NAT vlan. The other option is to download a free router appliance and use it to route traffic out of the vlan.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Do you have a home router that has DHCP enabled?

You have several options.

You can set the VMs to use "Bridged" networking. If you do, they should be in the same subnet as the Host OS. Meaning that if Host OS gets the IP 192.168.1.100, then your VMs will have an IP like 192.168.1.* and they should all be able to network with each other.

I you set them to use NAT, VMware will assign the VMs IPs that are within the range of the VMnet. I believe VMnet 8 is the one for NAT ( You can change if you'd like). So if you look at your interface that is called VMnet8 and the IP is 172.16.1.128, then your VMs will have an IP like 172.16.1.*. Most likely 172.16.1.129 and above. But you can assign it a static IP if you'd like. As long as all of them are using NAT, they should all be able to network with each other.

The difference between Bridged and NAT is that if you are using Bridged, your VMs will be able to communicate with other physical computers in your network since they will most likely be in the same subnet as the the laptop's Host OS.

The next option is Host only. Which is not what you want to use.