Etherchannel

DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
serverA----1Gbit----switchA ===2x100mbit etherchannel===switchB
1Gbit
serverB

Would this result in serverA being able to transfer data at up to 200Mbits/second to serverB?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DPG wrote: »
    1Gbit
    serverB

Would this result in serverA being able to transfer data at up to 200Mbits/second to serverB?

That would be the network capacity. How fast the server can transfer the data would depend on some other variables also though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    1Gbit
    serverB

I suppose in theory it should?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If there is only 1 connection between the two servers then you'll only get 100Mbps because of how the load balancing algorithm works.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    If there is only 1 connection between the two servers then you'll only get 100Mbps because of how the load balancing algorithm works.

Yep, not to mention the application limitations and all that jazz.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    How about we stop using 1500 byte packets?

It's 2010, let's up the ante!!
    How about we stop using 1500 byte packets?

It's 2010, let's up the ante!!
    Not sure how jumbo frames has anything to do with EtherChannel :P

Only GigE+ has support for jumbo frames and even then not everything supports it. The maximum size is also dependant on the device you're using and the version of the software on it. You're not supposed to mix MTUs on a subnet so you'll have to ensure that everything on your subnet supports whatever your chosen frame size is.

If you carefully choose your devices and software versions on your network then yes, you can use > 1500 byte MTUs. For most networks, the work involved and disadvantages of jumbo frames is greater than the benefits of using jumbo frames.

If you want jumbo frames on the "internet" then you'll have to go somehow get a connection to Internet2.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Not sure how jumbo frames has anything to do with EtherChannel :P

Only GigE+ has support for jumbo frames and even then not everything supports it. The maximum size is also dependant on the device you're using and the version of the software on it. You're not supposed to mix MTUs on a subnet so you'll have to ensure that everything on your subnet supports whatever your chosen frame size is.

If you carefully choose your devices and software versions on your network then yes, you can use > 1500 byte MTUs. For most networks, the work involved and disadvantages of jumbo frames is greater than the benefits of using jumbo frames.

If you want jumbo frames on the "internet" then you'll have to go somehow get a connection to Internet2.

LOL it has nothing to do with etherchannel...so yes, I'm hijacking this thread... icon_mrgreen.gif

I know that in some cases VMware asks for jumbo frames to be enabled. I've forgotten what the size is for IPv6.....is it still 1500 bytes?

From what I've read, you're right, there are more disadvantages of using it. My buddy who has to work with VMware guys has to deal with jumbo frames...
    I know that in some cases VMware asks for jumbo frames to be enabled.
    ESX defaults to 1500 byte MTUs. You can tell it to use jumbo frames though. It used to be that it would only support jumbo frames for the VMs only (at least officially) but vSphere 4.0 added the ability to use jumbo frames with the VMkernel as well.
    I've forgotten what the size is for IPv6.....is it still 1500 bytes?
    Jumbo frames is layer 2 stuff.
    From what I've read, you're right, there are more disadvantages of using it.
    The advantages are that you have less CPU overhead basically which translates to increased throughput. If you don't actually need this then there isn't any point in using jumbo frames.
    My buddy who has to work with VMware guys has to deal with jumbo frames...
    They want jumbo frames for the VMkernel interfaces. iSCSI, NFS, FT and vMotion all require large amounts of data to be sent around so you want as much throughput as possible with minimum CPU usage. Also whatever the VMs want as well.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    1Gbit
    serverB

The "Network Warrior" book has a nice little section on load balancing, definitely work a read/
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I mainly use Etherchannel for our backbone, as it provides a great way of speed on the cheap!

:)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese