Options

Started my new job!

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
So I started my new job on Monday! I have to say it's a TOTALLY different ballgame than what I'm used to. I'm going from having a year and a half of helpdesk experience with about 50-80 end users for a small company and no real organized ticketing system to a huge medical system that had over a dozen hospitals and clinics, 25,000+ end users, a ticketing system call Remedy (anyone heard of it?) and a much heavier paced environment.

For our first day of training, everyone went around the room to introduce themselves and EVERYONE in the room had 10+ years of helpdesk experience except me (my little 1 and half years...) so that was a little intimidating, but I don't really plan on staying at a helpdesk for the long term. The only part that's hard is that these people have probably seen every break/fix situation over the past 10 years in a heavy paced environment while I don't have the experience under my best. I don't want to get left behind so to speak or appear incompetent to my superiors while I'm adjusting. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience like this where you went from a small little company to the big big big busy world of having tens of thousands of end users. Any advice? Oh, and if anyone had ever use Remedy, what are your thoughts on the ticket system?
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Good luck on the new job!

I have used Remedy and it's not all that bad. It really depends on who set it up, and what information you have to input while making a ticket. It had some moments of not working right, but everything has that.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, that was me last month. i went from a fashion company that had 60-70 users in the office & supporting about 25 stores & outlets, to a banking & healthcare software solutions company with about 500+ users just in the NYC office. I have almost a year of desktop support under my belt, but these dudes here have YEARS of this, and but i know i'm capable of doin the job, cuz i definitely did well at my last job, and i'm doin pretty good here so far.

I've heard of Remedy. Its along the same lines as Heat, ServiceDesk, etc. We use ServiceDesk at my current job
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    congrats ;)

Remedy is one of the leading tracking DB's, I've used it at several jobs. Once you get in good with your boss, I would suggest changing over to something like Sysaid. It could make you look good if you present it well ;)

Sysaid way cheaper and so are the annual service agreements. The desktop management service is amazing too, reports on everything hardware/software related for any device.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So I started my new job on Monday! . The only part that's hard is that these people have probably seen every break/fix situation over the past 10 years in a heavy paced environment while I don't have the experience under my best.

Congrats on starting the new job. As for them having 10 years experience I wouldn't worry about it. Either they are lazy and never plan on getting out of helpdesk cause it's their comfort zone or they where sys admins that lost their job and have lots of experience with servers but forgot about how to support desktops years ago. Either way you obviously stood out to be lumped in with people who have 10 years of so called experience. Just keep working and use vm's at home a lot to get your experience with the server side of things and ask to help out the sys admins at work. You will see the 10 year guys will stay at the helpdesk and you will be the one they come to in a year when server issues are happening.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congrats on starting the new job. As for them having 10 years experience I wouldn't worry about it. Either they are lazy and never plan on getting out of helpdesk cause it's their comfort zone or they where sys admins that lost their job and have lots of experience with servers but forgot about how to support desktops years ago. Either way you obviously stood out to be lumped in with people who have 10 years of so called experience. Just keep working and use vm's at home a lot to get your experience with the server side of things and ask to help out the sys admins at work. You will see the 10 year guys will stay at the helpdesk and you will be the one they come to in a year when server issues are happening.

None of them are ex-sys admins. We went around the room round-robin style and were asked to share our IT experience. EVERYONE's experience had to do directly with helpdesk. The only guy that WASN'T an ex-helpdesk was an ex-web designer. They obviously all have a LOT more knowledge when it comes to break/fix issues. I'm pretty sure 90% of the problems they'll know how to fix based on experience within the first few minutes, while I've been more focused on learning more about networking and administration. It was kind of funny the other day when one of the guys came up to me and asked me to help him out with his Network+ work... I guess he was paying a few thousand to take a course on it and was still struggling.

Hopefully I can still shine with management even though break/fix issues are not what I'm studying to eventually do.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the job. I'm sure you'll learn the break/fix issues quickly, then show your bosses that you're learning stuff to propel you out of helpdesk.
    Onward and upward!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.