Options

Tight Spot

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
Well last week I began freaking out I didn't really know what the job outlook was for red hat linux is my area. Well its a lot better than I figured out I guess. I got an email plus someone within the building came to find me to drop off a business card about talking about working for them. The problem is the current company decided as of late last week early this week that it was time to move me up to senior sys admin and move the current one off the project. This was a whole lot more love than I was expecting so soon.

I am currently unsure whether I should still interview for the company and just see what they have to say or just politely decline since move up which is scheduled to happen in the next month or so. Should I still entertain the offer of interview I mean the worst that can happen is I would have to decline if they actually do like me or should i respectfully decline due to current circumstances.

Shallow cliffs
interviewing company - pays very well i have been told
current - know the system the people and have many connections, month and half til senior admin, unsure when the salary increase will occur

new promotion - potential interview

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't shut the door on any opportunities. At least hear them out so you can compare what they offer to your new promotion that is in the works.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    No way man. Keep your options open. This other company could offer you $100,000 and you wouldn't know unless you looked.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why is this even a question? go do the interview and see what they got to say, and check out their place. you might like what you hear & see there....and like someone said, they might pay you more than your current place does.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never ever shut the door on an opportunity, especially in this market and the way it is. As far as your current position, before you decide to take the promo, make sure you get your salary increase right away...and IN WRITING. Don't ever cut yourself short on things like that, you could screw yourself if it's a lot more headache and pressure and not enough pay.

In the meantime keep looking and keep your options open. If someone wants you THAT bad, they will do what it takes to keep you employed there. Remember you still have a job, so at the end of the day..that's a good thing.