Options

70-640 or 70-642

Fellow Techies,

Which exam is more easier to start with, 70-640 or 70-642 ? which one is considered more beastley then the other ?

-Teksource

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fellow Techies,

Which exam is more easier to start with, 70-640 or 70-642 ? which one is considered more beastley then the other ?

-Teksource
    I'm currently studying for both. I've heard different stories from different people. From the material I've studied so far it looks as if the 70-642 is easier. It may differ for you though.
    I'm only 40% through the MS Press book and already scoring 60-70% on full practice tests. I'm at the review stage for 70-640 and scoring about the same on the practice tests. I'm using the measure up tests included with the book and the measure up included with the exam cram book, both of them have been recommended highly by sveral people who have taken the test.
    You need to do the work, you're eventually going to have to take both. Just dive in and take the 70-640.
    You should do the client test first so as to familiarize yourself with "the microsoft way" of the tests. If you're looking for the easier of the client system tests I took the Vista Configuration and it wasn't too hard. I've heard the Windows 7 test was a real bear.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends, if you have a decent amount of experience working with active directory, group policy objects, and DNS in server 2000/2003 then the 70-640 (or 83-640 in the US) should be pretty easy for you. You would just need to focus more on the differences between 2003 and 2008 and read only domain controllers. To me the simulations were free points for doing some pretty basic AD stuff.

The 70-642 isn't bad either. If you do configuration work with DHCP, DNS, RRAS, NAP, DFS, and WSUS then you might feel more comfortable with the 70-642.

IMHO, the 70-640 you need to know a fair amount about AD and DNS where the 70-642 you need to know a little bit about a bunch of different services.