Feeling bad about semi-promotion within the company

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

You have all been so helpful to me in the past, and I was wondering if you can tell me if I'm doing the right thing this time around :)

So, I have been at my job for a bit over 3 months. I work as technician, doing desktop troubleshooting for the most part. Today out IT Director has approached me with the following offer: one of our system administrators has left the company, and the IT director wanted to give me an opportunity to work extra hours overtime as a system administrator doing server maintenance, etc. for about 20hrs a week. I expressed my concern that I don't have enough training for this and that I may not do a satisfactory job but he assured me that I will be trained. Now this is only for a month of May, and after that he wasn't sure but he said he would like me to continue to assist our system administrators in some way.

It sounded really great and happily said that yes, I would love to do it. But here's the thing: we have 2 technicians that are superior to me in status, who have been so good to me and helping with all my questions; they know more than I do and have been here for years. One of them have been working for the company over 10 years. I'm sure they would've loved to have the same opportunity, and I feel undeserving that I am given the chance instead of them.

I just wanted to explain what happened to you guys and ask if I did the right thing by accepting this offer, or if I should go back to the IT director and advise him to consider these other 2 people instead of me.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they want you to do more work and you think you can do it, than do it. Don't belittle yourself and your abilities. Maybe the other 2 techs declined or maybe they have a good feeling about you. Who knows but that doesn't matter, it is time for you to step it up a notch and learn some cool new stuff. You can do it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you did the right thing. If these guys have been with the company around 10 years and haven't moved up yet they either don't want to or the company doesn't want them to. Besides, only the strong survive my friend. Worry about your own career first.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    If they want you to do more work and you think you can do it, than do it. Don't belittle yourself and your abilities. Maybe the other 2 techs declined or maybe they have a good feeling about you. Who knows but that doesn't matter, it is time for you to step it up a notch and learn some cool new stuff. You can do it.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

The thing is my manager told me that he wanted one of these technicians to give it a shot but the IT director decided to go with me. I don't think the technicians had any choice in this. That's why I feel really bad.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    +1 Your coworkers will probably be happy for you that you've been given this opportunity. Don't let anything hold you back, give it your all and it may turn into new job responsibilities full time.
    Good luck and congratsicon_cheers.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    loss4words wrote: »
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.

The thing is my manager told me that he wanted one of these technicians to give it a shot but the IT director decided to go with me. I don't think the technicians had any choice in this. That's why I feel really bad.

Then the person who really needed to be on your side is on your side. That's all there is to it. Don't be afraid of success.

earweed wrote: »
    +1 Your coworkers will probably be happy for you that you've been given this opportunity.

Perhaps but even if they aren't you need be ready for that. It is you career, not theirs and at the end of the day, your co workers can be your competition. I am not saying everyone is out to get you but know that if they were in your situation, they would probably take the chance to move up, even if only for a little while.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi guys,

You have all been so helpful to me in the past, and I was wondering if you can tell me if I'm doing the right thing this time around :)

So, I have been at my job for a bit over 3 months. I work as technician, doing desktop troubleshooting for the most part. Today out IT Director has approached me with the following offer: one of our system administrators has left the company, and the IT director wanted to give me an opportunity to work extra hours overtime as a system administrator doing server maintenance, etc. for about 20hrs a week. I expressed my concern that I don't have enough training for this and that I may not do a satisfactory job but he assured me that I will be trained. Now this is only for a month of May, and after that he wasn't sure but he said he would like me to continue to assist our system administrators in some way.

It sounded really great and happily said that yes, I would love to do it. But here's the thing: we have 2 technicians that are superior to me in status, who have been so good to me and helping with all my questions; they know more than I do and have been here for years. One of them have been working for the company over 10 years. I'm sure they would've loved to have the same opportunity, and I feel undeserving that I am given the chance instead of them.

I just wanted to explain what happened to you guys and ask if I did the right thing by accepting this offer, or if I should go back to the IT director and advise him to consider these other 2 people instead of me.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to your replies.

Thanks!

Sometimes having soft skills are more desired in employees, than having the knowledge or experience with the technology. I believe you have better soft skills than the other candidates. You can train employees how to use a new technology, but you can’t train them on how to be dependable, honest, friendly, ect. I would go for it, and look for certifications that would align with your new position.
    Congrats
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You did the right thing icon_thumright.gif

You expressed your concern. Your manager was honest with you.

The other experienced guys should be able to cover if that promised training happens during your normal work day (rather than during that overtime).

And you said it's for May... so it may cause less disruption to have the "new guy" do the "extra work."

It's a great opportunity -- now all you have to do is give it your best shot and "step up" to the job icon_cool.gif

Hopefully it works out for everybody -- and with no hurt feelings. Maybe use some of the overtime pay to fund "Donut Friday" during May :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    man, i wouldnt even have been worried about the tenure of the other techs...if they were to offer it to me, and its something i want to do, then i'm all for it, cuz it can only help you advance in your career. and like someone else said, ya co-workers can be ur competition, and if one of them had gotten it, then you'd not get the experience working on servers, and that could slow your career growth
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't feel particularly bad about two techs who have been techs for 10 years not being promoted.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    what the others said... if they haven't moved up in 10 years and you come in off the street with 3 months and are asked to do high end work than them, that's just says you have impressed them ... and the other guys probably don't show that they WANT to move up. Saying and doing is two completely different things.
    CCNP :study:
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been working with people with 13 years in the same company working in IT and every time that something go wrongs and look at me and said: What did you to? Too much security, too much security, just relax the security (one time he told me that he wants everybody to be domain admin so they can do what ever they want with the computer without bother him).

So doesn't matter how much exp they have, the manager detected something different that they need and offer you the oportunirity.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone, once again. My coworkers seem to be fine with this, everything is well.

I'm really looking forward to learning new stuff. I hope I do well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thank you everyone, once again. My coworkers seem to be fine with this, everything is well.

I'm really looking forward to learning new stuff. I hope I do well.
    Congrats, you'll do fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.