Options

What was she thinking, ISO of Mentor

knownasthatguyknownasthatguy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am graduating this summer with a two year Associates of Applied Science in Telecomm and Network Eng. Technologies. I have been an IT/Comms guy for over a decade in the military and got an honorable discharge in 2003. I have completed a years worth of CISCO Academy training, 1 1/2 years for AAS, taking my CCNA Nov 10, Enrolled for my CCNP, knowledgable in VOIP, Telephony networks on a CO platform, can configure RIP/IGRP/EIGRP/OSPF/Static routing protocols, Frame relay networks, T1 connections, campus networks, many types of routers, switches........ I can keep going. So, my advisor tells me, "You should probably go back into the military". My reaction was, "WTF". I Plan on getting a Bachelors of Science of Information Technology at East Carolina University in the next 3 years, will have my CCNP by the summer and my even go for my CCIE in 5 years. What in the heck have I done for her to say that I need to go back to the military. I want to be a network Engineer so bad I can taste it. So, I need a mentor because she has given up on me and I cant deal with that. Any takers?
Is it getting bright in here, or am I just cool like that

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Just noticed this unanswered post...
    What in the heck have I done for her to say that I need to go back to the military.
    If the answer is 'nothing', perhaps she's being a bit negative about the current IT market.
    I want to be a network Engineer so bad I can taste it. So, I need a mentor because she has given up on me and I cant deal with that. Any takers?
    I'll take the job and start right away:

- You can be anything if you want it so bad that you can taste it.
    - With your experience and a couple of certs you should be able to get a job in networking somewhere. Perhaps not exactly the job (tasks) or the location you prefer, but surely it's doable.
    - You don't need a mentor. You can be your own mentor. Just set your goals and go for it. The sky is the limit.

I quit. ;)

Good luck!