Options

Local computer security expert investigates police practices - Seattle PI

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
My thanks to Unsupported who mentioned this article on The Ethical Hacker Network. Very interesting!
A drunken street golf game with foam balls has led to a serious civil rights issue, pitting computer geeks against police practices. Eric Rachner, a Seattle cyber security expert and one of the golf players, wasn't satisfied when the city dismissed charges against him after a possibly illegal arrest for refusing to provide identification.

Rachner discovered through sleuthing that police had withheld video-recorded evidence in his case.
Local computer security expert investigates police practices

Comments

• Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    For some reason, I'm wondering how this would have turned out if the person that got hit with the ball whooped some A..lol

<<doesn't curse..

As seen in the comments, this is one of those topics that will always have a divide.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You know it's fine and all that he fought it and got his way, but logically speaking, I wouldn't care if he didn't to be honest. Why are people hitting foam golf balls at other people? I'm about as extroverted and social as possible but I still think I'd rip someone's head off if I got line drived with a toy.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    You know it's fine and all that he fought it and got his way, but logically speaking, I wouldn't care if he didn't to be honest. Why are people hitting foam golf balls at other people? I'm about as extroverted and social as possible but I still think I'd rip someone's head off if I got line drived with a toy.
    I agree. But the guys who were arrested were not the guy who hit the pedestrian. They were arrested for not identifying themselves to the police when requested. In Ohio, unless a crime wa commited, which it is clear no crime was committed - I would not be required to respond to the offices. Lawriter - ORC - 2921.29 Failure to disclose personal information. No one should have to identify themselves at the whim of a Police officer.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No one should have to identify themselves at the whim of a Police officer.

I completely agree...
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Where's Kaminsky?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No one should have to identify themselves at the whim of a Police officer.

Completely agree, but I'm pretty in tune to one's rights and refuse to bend over backwards at unlawful requests. The unfortunate thing is some, not all, but some officers have their own sense of what the law allows them to do that is above and beyond what they are lawfully entitled to do. Some of these officers also have an ego that doesn't jive well with your average citizen who not only understands their rights but also choose to exercise them.

I had been pulled over recently, on my way to drop my son back off with mom. I knew I had not been speeding or otherwise knowingly broken any laws. The officer approached my vehicle and I noticed he peaked into the back of my SUV with his light on the way up to my window, I could notice he was annoyed by the fact I only rolled my window down enough to converse with him. He immediately asked for my drivers license to which I responded what the nature of the stop was. He did not answer and prompted me for my license once again to which I responded the same. He pressed once more so I had asked if I was being arrested or detained, he asked me to step out of the vehicle. I obliged, and proceeded to turn my car off and exit and lock up upon leaving the vehicle - pretty sure that annoyed him further. I asked once again what the nature of the stop was, received no response and was told to wait at the rear of the vehicle. He had me sit there for nearly 15 minutes before coming back and telling me I needed to get my burnt out headlamp taken care of. I never caved and identified myself (even though he could run my plates) nor gave him the ability to infringe upon my rights and I'm sure that upset him. No doubt I bet he was concerned by me having several bags in my rear cargo area of which one is camo and two of the others are Maxpedition which one is OD green and the other is a desert tan - kinda "tactical" appearing. It probably sparked his interest and he figured he could get me to break and allow him to search thinking he might find something to pin on me.

Good for this guy for exercising his rights and even better for him pressing the issue. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will play the "well you should just cooperate with the police and you won't have a problem" card, but that's silly - cooperating with every request beyond what they are lawfully capable of will simply grant them greater control and before long we'll be just like the UK. But I suppose we're headed in that direction quick enough as it is, so what if it happens a bit sooner...