Options

ethernet VS fastethernet

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Warning! Newbie question soon to follow!

So I was thinking, (yes I know the difference between 10 and 100), but from the IOS standpoint, is anyone aware of feature differences between these two? Here's an example:

I'm looking to get an ethernet module for my 3620 because it's much cheaper than a fastethernet module. And for lab purposes, I don't need the speed.

BUT, will I be missing out on any special features with fastethernet? Will there be a set of commands that are only supported by fastethernet and not ethernet?

I just want to make sure that other than SPEED, everything else is the same....

[/END NEWBIE WARNING]

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Right off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is that you cannot trunk anything with a 10Mb connection (I guess IOS's after 12.2t support it though for built-in ports). You need at least 100Mb for that. Also, if you are going to be using any routing protocols that calculate any part of their metric with bandwidth, you will see some variations in route choices (if you have a combination of 100 and 10 on your network). So just be prepared for that when you start labbing, and use the bandwidth command accordingly.
  • Options
    Right off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is that you cannot trunk anything with a 10Mb connection. You need at least 100Mb for that. Also, if you are going to be using any routing protocols that calculate any part of their metric with bandwidth, you will see some variations in route choices (if you have a combination of 100 and 10 on your network). So just be prepared for that when you start labbing, and use the bandwidth command accordingly.

Thanks, I was thinking about the trunking too....but that's ok I have other routers for that as well as some L3 switches. I forgot about the cost metric for routing protocols. I think this would be a good thing though, it will allow me to see these protocols in action choosing a better path....

Are you absolutely sure about not trunking with 10mb? I thought that it was ISL that couldn't trunk 10mb, but dot1q could?
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NG2Fail,

I think the ROAS (trunking) feature will not be available. If you're just trying to get an extra interface for a link to a switch, then you should be fine. I actually just ordered some ethernet cards (wic-1enet) for my 1760 routers... I just wanted another interface to add a DMZ to these routers. I hope this helps.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is that you cannot trunk anything with a 10Mb connection (I guess IOS's after 12.2t support it though). You need at least 100Mb for that. Also, if you are going to be using any routing protocols that calculate any part of their metric with bandwidth, you will see some variations in route choices (if you have a combination of 100 and 10 on your network). So just be prepared for that when you start labbing, and use the bandwidth command accordingly.

According to this thread at Cisco, that is what is (or was) in the CCNA material, however it not really the case. And from what I see from a quick look around with Google, even an ancient Catalyst 1900 (which is a 10Mbps switch and only supports ISL) can trunk.

@notgoing2fail, I'm going to lab this up right now on a couple different routers and see.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    According to this thread at Cisco, that is what is (or was) in the CCNA material, however it not really the case. And from what I see from a quick look around with Google, even an ancient Catalyst 1900 (which is a 10Mbps switch and only supports ISL) can trunk.

@notgoing2fail, I'm going to lab this up right now on a couple different routers and see.

Thanks, on my older routers, I recalled I was able to do at least 802.1Q but I'm not positive....but let me know what you find out, I can lab this up as well if you don't have time.

I think this is a good fundamental thing to know, if it's true, then the CCNA books should really change what they say as it makes no sense then...
  • Options
    NG2Fail,

I think the ROAS (trunking) feature will not be available. If you're just trying to get an extra interface for a link to a switch, then you should be fine. I actually just ordered some ethernet cards (wic-1enet) for my 1760 routers... I just wanted another interface to add a DMZ to these routers. I hope this helps.

I have not heard of ROAS? What is that?

But yeah, I basically just want a link to a switch and just wanted a quick general idea from you guys if there's any sense in paying more for fastethernet (not for the speed, but possible commands I may not be aware of currently).

So it seems there's really not much difference so I should go ahead with the 10mb.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567

But yeah, I basically just want a link to a switch and just wanted a quick general idea from you guys if there's any sense in paying more for fastethernet (not for the speed, but possible commands I may not be aware of currently).

So it seems there's really not much difference so I should go ahead with the 10mb.

Router on a stick. Like I said above, if you are running 12.2(2)t or higher trunking will work on your routers running 10Mb ethernet on built-in ports, but not on modules. That link that Alan provided has a statement from cisco in it confirming this. So if your not worried about setting up trunks using the routers, you should have no real issues using 10Mb ports instead of FE. As a matter of fact i asked a similiar question to Mrock regarding his CCIE lab, and he put simple ethernet modules in his routers as well. pro's outweighed the cons i guess. Have a good weekend man.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Router on a stick.

Unfortunately none of my routers with 10Mbps ports are able to do it. From a more in depth Googling it seems you need at least a 2600 with a later IOS than mine apparently has. So you should be fine with a 3600 as long as you have an IOS that supports it.

And thanks for the tip on build in ports vs ports on a module Jason. I didn't see anything about that and it would have never occurred to me otherwise.
  • Options
    ROUTER ON A STICK! LOL

Thanks guys....I know that term but I never saw it written as ROAS, so when I looked at it, I was trying to figure out what the heck it stood for!!!

So it seems that you do have to have somewhat of a newer IOS as well as having a built in 10mb not modular...see guys, this is all great stuff to know!

Thanks again for the help....

I'm going to go ahead and purchase this module now....
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you building your CCNP lab right now?
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    Are you building your CCNP lab right now?

I don't really have a direction with my lab. I just purchased a 3620 along with a 4 port serial interface so I can use the router as a frame relay switch and practice general FR stuff.

I'm then looking to get a 2611XM along with a voice card so I can play with it for CCNA: Voice.

I haven't checked what the requirement are for what is considered a CCNP lab. I'm hoping though that I have just enough equipment for any CCNP type of lab exercise.

Just for kicks, here's what I have...

(1) 1811W router
    (1) PIX515e
    (1) 3620 with 4 serial port NM.
    (1) 2511 with 8 port octal cable and w/transceiver for AUI
    (1) 2950 24 port switch
    (1) 2960G 24 port switch
    (2) 3550 PoE switches with EMI
    (2) 2900's series XL switches
    (1) 2501 router w/transceiver for AUI
    (1) 2507 router
    (1) 1720 router

The older series routers are kinda useless because they don't have much flash/memory and the IOS's are old. I'm a little switch heavy so I know I need to bulk up on obtaining more routers.

But if you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I'm just not sure what the CCNP lab requires.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't really have a direction with my lab. I just purchased a 3620 along with a 4 port serial interface so I can use the router as a frame relay switch and practice general FR stuff.
    It won't matter much for what you're doing with it but the 3620 is an odd router which isn't particularly well supported by Cisco. The available IOS versions for it is different than what is available for the 3640 and 3360 models.
    I haven't checked what the requirement are for what is considered a CCNP lab. I'm hoping though that I have just enough equipment for any CCNP type of lab exercise.
    Whilst getting "new" pieces of hardware is fun and exciting, you should take a step back from the purchasing. Do you really need all this hardware now? Unless its an amazing must buy it right now deal on something, you should wait until nearer the time when you need it.
    The older series routers are kinda useless because they don't have much flash/memory and the IOS's are old. I'm a little switch heavy so I know I need to bulk up on obtaining more routers.
    The 2500s are fine for things like injecting routes and you'll find them on the CCIE topology doing that. You already know about the limitations for the 1720.
    But if you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I'm just not sure what the CCNP lab requires.
    You're covered for the CCNP regarding switches. Just get a few 2611XMs or something.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

Have a look at one of Odum's latest articles on labbing the new CCNP

2010 CCNP Lab Series ? Overview | NetworkWorld.com Community

You should also look at the CCNP section FAQ and trawl through the posts as there are occasional gems of lab topology manuals hidden in there.
    Kam.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    It won't matter much for what you're doing with it but the 3620 is an odd router which isn't particularly well supported by Cisco. The available IOS versions for it is different than what is available for the 3640 and 3360 models.

Whilst getting "new" pieces of hardware is fun and exciting, you should take a step back from the purchasing. Do you really need all this hardware now? Unless its an amazing must buy it right now deal on something, you should wait until nearer the time when you need it.

The 2500s are fine for things like injecting routes and you'll find them on the CCIE topology doing that. You already know about the limitations for the 1720.

You're covered for the CCNP regarding switches. Just get a few 2611XMs or something.

Thanks, I'm pretty much done purchasing anything in the near future. Many of the stuff that I listed I've had from back in the days. The 2611XM is the only thing left that I'd really like to have.

If you notice from my list, I don't have a single router other than the 1811 that I can do a VPN to. The PIX515e is the only other choice but the commands are a little different and I didn't want to spend time fighting with it and learning a new set of commands for the PIX.

I expect once I get my ethernet module for the 3620, I can do the VPN to it from the 1811 or even the 2611XM.

I had no idea the 3620 was considered an odd router!!? LOL...
    I guess that's just my luck....

My focus right now is the CCNA security so I can practice SDM stuff on the 1811. Then after that either go CCNA Voice or CCNP...
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Have a look at one of Odum's latest articles on labbing the new CCNP

2010 CCNP Lab Series ? Overview | NetworkWorld.com Community

You should also look at the CCNP section FAQ and trawl through the posts as there are occasional gems of lab topology manuals hidden in there.

Thanks for the link, will do! Bookmarking it right now...
  • Options
    The 2611XM is the only thing left that I'd really like to have.
    The 2600XMs can only run up to 12.4.15T since Cisco discontinued support for them after that. You still get rebuilds of 12.4.15T and it is up to T13 now. The CCIE topology is still using 12.4T last time I checked so you're okay with a 2600XM but it may possibly change to 15.0M or 15.1T in the future which the 2600XM don't support.
    If you notice from my list, I don't have a single router other than the 1811 that I can do a VPN to. The PIX515e is the only other choice but the commands are a little different and I didn't want to spend time fighting with it and learning a new set of commands for the PIX.
    Yeah. A PIX doesn't give you quite the same CLI as IOS.
    I had no idea the 3620 was considered an odd router!!? LOL...
    I guess that's just my luck....
    CCO lists 12.3.26 as the latest IOS you can get for a 3620. The largest feature set is IP FW/IDS/IPSEC plus or enterprise basic.

A 3640/3660 however can run up to 12.4.15T13 advanced enterprise services like the 2600XMs as they had new software support discontinued at the same time. I've no idea what would happen if you put a 12.4 image from a 3640 onto a 3620. The architecture looks similar but the 3620 has a slower CPU and less flash.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    The 2600XMs can only run up to 12.4.15T since Cisco discontinued support for them after that. You still get rebuilds of 12.4.15T and it is up to T13 now. The CCIE topology is still using 12.4T last time I checked so you're okay with a 2600XM but it may possibly change to 15.0M or 15.1T in the future which the 2600XM don't support.

Yeah. A PIX doesn't give you quite the same CLI as IOS.

CCO lists 12.3.26 as the latest IOS you can get for a 3620. The largest feature set is IP FW/IDS/IPSEC plus or enterprise basic.

A 3640/3660 however can run up to 12.4.15T13 advanced enterprise services like the 2600XMs as they had new software support discontinued at the same time. I've no idea what would happen if you put a 12.4 image from a 3640 onto a 3620. The architecture looks similar but the 3620 has a slower CPU and less flash.

Dude, are you a walking IOS knowledgebase? LOL... you know the IOS's so well!!!

The 12.3(26) is what I just upgraded the 3620 with.

I don't have an ethernet port for so what I did was use the serial ports that I have (NM-4T) and configured a point to point to another router with serial port that has E0. Connected my PC to that and did a TFTP transfer over simulated WAN. LOL...pretty funny....

I can always try the IOS for the other models and see what happens. I'll rather wait till I at least get my ethernet module though so if the image doesn't work, I can easily revert back the old image. I'm not sure I have enough flash though, my max is 32megs...
  • Options
    Dude, are you a walking IOS knowledgebase? LOL... you know the IOS's so well!!!
    I've got 2600XMs at home and I've got a CCO account :P
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    3620 is a brilliant and cheap frame-relay switch.... as tiersten recommends above limited in IOS support...

but...

As a frame-relay switch you don't need the latest and greatest IOS.... its the only function is has in my Lab and is rock solid :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    3620 is a brilliant and cheap frame-relay switch with the serial modules.... as tiersten recommends above limited in IOS support though...

but...

As a frame-relay switch you don't need the latest and greatest IOS.... its the only function it has in my Lab and is rock solid :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    APA wrote: »
    3620 is a brilliant and cheap frame-relay switch with the serial modules.... as tiersten recommends above limited in IOS support though...

but...

As a frame-relay switch you don't need the latest and greatest IOS.... its the only function it has in my Lab and is rock solid :)

I bought the 3620 off eBay for $25!

The NM-4T module was more expensive sadly! It was around $35 if I recall correctly.

I expect to use it only for FR and playing around with VPN connections once I get the ethernet module.

My lab designs are a bit limited right now as I'm not astute enough right now to even comprehend any complex designs....

Baby steps....
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My lab designs are a bit limited right now as I'm not astute enough right now to even comprehend any complex designs....

Baby steps....

It's not that you're not astute enough... it's just that you don't have the experience right now! That's the beauty of putting things together in a lab! It gives you experience to build on. The more you do this stuff... the easier it becomes!! It's all about practice and repetition! Hang in there!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    It's not that you're not astute enough... it's just that you don't have the experience right now! That's the beauty of putting things together in a lab! It gives you experience to build on. The more you do this stuff... the easier it becomes!! It's all about practice and repetition! Hang in there!!!

Thank you my friend!! icon_wink.gif