Contractor job what to wear?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I have a job interview with a company though a contracting company. I'll be talking with the person hiring me for their company. Typically I wear a suit and tie but I feel it might be over kill I'm think of just khaki's and a shirt tie drop the suit.

Does this sound good? I've never worked though a contracting company before and I don't want to go overboard. I'm excited none the less!

Thanks everyone.

Comments

  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

    I have a job interview with a company though a contracting company. I'll be talking with the person hiring me for their company. Typically I wear a suit and tie but I feel it might be over kill I'm think of just khaki's and a shirt tie drop the suit.

    Does this sound good? I've never worked though a contracting company before and I don't want to go overboard. I'm excited none the less!

    Thanks everyone.

    I wore a suit and tie for both my contracting interview and the job interview. The only time I didn't is when the person told me ahead of time to wear something nice and suggested a shirt and tie with some kahki's. I determined that since I was told to wear khaki's that going above and beyond with a suit would be too much.

    If there is ever a doubt, there is nothing to loose from looking too good.

    EDIT: And yes, sometimes I find that I'm sitting in a lobby way over dressed compared to the people around, but that isn't a problem. Just brownie points for me I hope. You get some nice looks too. I walked into one place and the receptionist nearly melted when she said hi.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go suit for sure. Its your first impression with this company and you want to leave as good of one as possible.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 MCSA: Server 2012, MCITP: EDA KCMember Posts: 897 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unless they told you differently, wear a suit. It's better to be over dressed instead of under dressed for an interview.
  • rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's funny. At my last job I showed up in a suit and the manager was like, "Lose the suit" Like I was an idiot for even wearing a suit. It seems to me that IT field has moved to the casual side of things. What we call "Business Casual." Some places (night shift) have gone so far as what I call "Beach Casual" i.e. flip flops, beach shorts, and Slayer shirts. To OP's point I always wear a suit on the first day just so everyone knows I have one.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    rage_hog wrote: »
    That's funny. At my last job I showed up in a suit and the manager was like, "Lose the suit" Like I was an idiot for even wearing a suit. It seems to me that IT field has moved to the casual side of things. What we call "Business Casual." Some places (night shift) have gone so far as what I call "Beach Casual" i.e. flip flops, beach shorts, and Slayer shirts. To OP's point I always wear a suit on the first day just so everyone knows I have one.

    Noones saying wear a suit the first day on the job.

    I'll wear a suit to the interview, and then once i accept the job I'll email my new boss or whoever hired me and say

    "I just wanted to check on the requested dress code, as I want to ensure I show up prepared to work on the first day"
  • rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Noones saying wear a suit the first day on the job.

    I'll wear a suit to the interview, and then once i accept the job I'll email my new boss or whoever hired me and say

    "I just wanted to check on the requested dress code, as I want to ensure I show up prepared to work on the first day"
    True. However, that was not an option in my reference. I had no option but to assume the highest dress code possible.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always wear a suit. I never have a problem appearing overdressed compared to anyone I'm with.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I always wear a suit. I never have a problem appearing overdressed compared to anyone I'm with.

    FWIW, i dont consider showing up in a suit and ditching the jacket for the whole day to be working in a suit.

    On the other hand, you can barely get any work done and risk ruining the suit if you try to actually work in it all day.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    humble2007 wrote: »
    I wore a suit and tie for both my contracting interview and the job interview. The only time I didn't is when the person told me ahead of time to wear something nice and suggested a shirt and tie with some kahki's. I determined that since I was told to wear khaki's that going above and beyond with a suit would be too much.

    If there is ever a doubt, there is nothing to loose from looking too good.

    EDIT: And yes, sometimes I find that I'm sitting in a lobby way over dressed compared to the people around, but that isn't a problem. Just brownie points for me I hope. You get some nice looks too. I walked into one place and the receptionist nearly melted when she said hi.

    lol... did she wet herself besides melting? lol
Sign In or Register to comment.