Options

peroblem with Serial cable connection

ely_jo0o0onely_jo0o0on Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guyz
Im a CCNA student. Im trying to simulate labs with packet tracer.
The problem that I face is that when Im trying to connect 2 routers with a DCE serial cable or DTE serial cable, according to network topology that I have in my lab handout, it gives me the error that "the cable cannot be connected to that port."icon_sad.gif
Do I have to do any configuration on routers before connecting the serial cable ?

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally haven't used PT... but in GNS3 (another emulator) I ran into a similar issue because the interface was shut off I believe or the router couldn't accept a "physical cable" while it was powered on. I can't remember exactly which one it was... I hope this can provide you some type of assistance. Again, I've never used PT, so I cannot verify if this is a similar problem or not.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think any of the routers in Packet Tracer have serial ports installed by default. I think you have to "power down" your routers in packet tracer and add one of the supported serial interface cards for your router (and then power back up).

If you select the Serial Cable (DCE or DTE) and click on a router, it should show you the available interfaces. If all you have are the console and FastEthernet interfaces, then you get that error message when you choose one of those non-serial interfaces.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!