Options

How much subnetting?

bperiodbperiod Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all...taking the test on 12/17. Wondering about subnetting questions? Are there a lot? What to know? Thx, and this is a great site icon_exclaim.gif

Comments

• Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting questions, I don't recall seeing any question like that. That's more like a Microsoft or Cisco type of question. Good luck on your test by the way!!!
  • Options
    Thx for the heads up!
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Just be sure to know the classes of IP.

Class A 1-126
    Class B 128-191
    Class C 192-223

You can use 127 as it is the loopback address used for testing.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah know Class A, B, & C, also just took the test and make sure you know about the private addresses and their ranges, especially know the 169.254.x.x one and why you get it.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    As I recall there were matching questions on mine, matching the classes to the IP address. :) Just know the classes and the basic job of subnetting and you'll be golden.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    Thx everyone for the heads up...really appreciate it!
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    " If your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface. "
  • Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually I believe that 169.254.x.x address is a part of all of Microsoft OS's, not exclusive to XP.
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft, like all OS vendors, has adopted the APIPA standard, which set aside 169.254.x.x for when the DHCP server can not be reached. So it would also be assigned if using Linux, NetWare, and Apple, if they are using TCP/IP.

For this range, as for all others, remember that if they ask a questioin about a host IP number, for each class, there MUST be at least ONE non-zero (one x not= 0), so 169.254.0.0 is not a valid host number. Nor would 192.168.0.0 or 200.1.1.0 since there is a network # portion, but no host # listed. (Class B is N.N.H.H and Class C is N.N.N.H)