Options

Quick Question

ForensickForensick Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im kinda confused on something right now. My question is this: what is the difference between NetBIOS naming service and WINS?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You can get info on WINS, here, and here. For NetBios, check here . You can also check the outstanding Technotes. If you don't have them yet, I would reccomend getting them. They are very good.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stricken
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • Options
    eternal85eternal85 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The quick answer:

NetBIOS are the names given to computers using the NetBEUI protocol, and WINS is the server that hands out NetBIOS addresses (although you'll be hard pressed to find any corporate enviroments relying solely on NetBIOS, and if you do, chances are you DON"t want to work there anyway)

WINS servers are mostly used for legacy (read: OLD CRAP) stuff on networks
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Under standard conditions, the NetBIOS name is the computer name. It is unlikely you will have 2 computers with the same name, but possible (the owners might have both used 'mycomputer'). See TechNotes NetBEUI section.

When you attached to a network and try to use that name, your computer will try to register with the WINS server. If the name is not used the server will assign you an IP number. If it IS used, the server will try to contact the already-registered computer and make sure it still is present on the network (and so still wants its' number), and if present, the server will tell the newly connecting computer that the name is used so it must try another. (The 2 hosts DO NOT talk to each other to resolve the issue as noted in the Net+ book I have)

This is best explained in the Win2000 server book for 70-215, page 501-503.