Options

IT Management?

mav2005mav2005 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone here have any experience with IT management? What jobs typically fall into this category? Are most IT managers grown in-house or are they good managers from outside?

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mav2005 wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any experience with IT management?

Yes.
    What jobs typically fall into this category?

Everything from direct supervisory roles, to mid-level management, all the way up to executive leadership positions.
    Are most IT managers grown in-house or are they good managers from outside?

Most likely there is no single answer to this question. In some organizations you will find one or the other, whereas in many others you are likely to find a mix of the two.

MS
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does anyone here have any experience with IT management?

As a consultant I regularly interface with IT managers, corporate executives, and board of directors.
    What jobs typically fall into this category?

Everything from direct supervisors to middle management to senior executive teams. It just depends on the scale of the organization. In smaller companies people wear many hats. At one particularly large organization I was at recently (largest bank in Florida) everyone there was at least a VP of something.
    Are most IT managers grown in-house or are they good managers from outside?

Depends on the organization. Larger organizations are more inclined to hire from outside. Smaller organizations more frequently promote internally. I think its best to look at all options because even if you're very positive on an internal employee moving up that person may not be the best fit for the job compared to others on the market.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/