Options

Fit to have a qualification

Just wanted some feedback guys and girls on IT Qualifications at work. I am in a company that has two IT guys, myself and another, this other guy has no qualifications and yet does a reasonable job, although he leaves the server work to me!! but i have been told that i am under him although i have A+ N+ MCSA etc It`s annoying the hell out of me that the company sees this guy as their main man. It `s bugging me to the point that i am thinking of moving on. Am i right in feeling this way or am i over acting things and need to get over it? lol.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've seen a lot of places where the highest person isn't necessarily the most technical person. Being a lead role or how ever you want to refer to it has just as much to do with your time/people management skills as it has to do with your technical know how. It can be frustrating at times though.

I don't know your exact situation, but if this is bothering you that much then start looking for something else. No need to stay in a job that you are not comfortable with. I would make sure I had a new position lined up before bringing anything up at your current place though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it safe to assume he's been there significantly longer than you? If so, then people may see him as the go to guy since he's been there longer.

Also certs don't necessarily mean experience. If he has been there for a while and learned everything on the job, then let him be.

I work with someone who isn't as technically inclined as I am, but everyone goes to him first (even though his job isn't exactly tech support) because he's been here longer than me and he's an ex-user so everyone familiarizes with him and even see him as higher up than me (where it is equal but different job roles). Its great for me because he handles the easy stuff and I get the 'thinkin' ones, I also have more time to do what I want. So it works out well.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of times it's senority and/or people skills. If somebody has a better relationship with others that can usually get you further than just tech skills
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    billybob01 wrote: »
    Just wanted some feedback guys and girls on IT Qualifications at work. I am in a company that has two IT guys, myself and another, this other guy has no qualifications and yet does a reasonable job, although he leaves the server work to me!! but i have been told that i am under him although i have A+ N+ MCSA etc It`s annoying the hell out of me that the company sees this guy as their main man. It `s bugging me to the point that i am thinking of moving on. Am i right in feeling this way or am i over acting things and need to get over it? lol.

Agreed with the posts thus far.

Either start looking, or look at yourself and see if you are providing the support folks there want? Sometimes it is just personality, and they may know you are knowledgable, but don't like how you answer their questions.

It may just take time, but if you don't want to wait or work on it, then perhaps there is a better fit for your talent in another organization??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    billybob01 wrote: »

Whose the highest guy in your company? The CEO? I bet you have more technical experience than him as well.

Skills don't mean everything. Usually it is left to seniority, or possibly who is better qualified to be a manager.

But if you feel that you deserve more than what you have you can always go get more. Whether it be asking for more responsibilities in your current position or looking to another company altogether.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks for the replies guys, maybe i am just over reacting, it just got to me that this guy takes the credit for implementing ISA, Exchange, sharepoint etc when clearly i have done 99% of the work. As someone said at least it leaves me to concentrate on more technical projects rather than running around, and i will look at what i can do to improve my relationship with others.
  • Options
    getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ran into the same type of situation at my previous employer. My manager was a cool guy and had been with the county for longer than I, but I was far more qualified than he. I knew it and he knew it. So I started to do things differently. I dressed differently (more ties and suits), I took notes at the meetings and put in my 2 cents, I took more initiative, I cc'd the big bosses on major projects, I stopped by their offices before and after everyone else had left. And 2 months later I started getting called my the higher ups to handle different projects. They created a new position for me, gave me a pay raise and a team for me to manage.

Things were going great until the county had realized that they had gone hundreds of millions over budget and had to make cuts. One of the higher ups told me that no matter how good I was, they couldn't afford to keep me their and that seniority rules. basically told me that if he were to have his way, I would have replaced the guy above me.

with that being said, sometimes* its all about seniority. That may not be the case in your situation. Maybe the higher ups just don't know how talented you are and sometimes you have to tell them.
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering