Microsoft MTA certifications

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
MS Learning leaked a new cert path on accident, called the MTA (Microsoft Technology Associate)

It looks to be very entry level with titles like "Server Fundamentals" and "Network Fundamentals".

Maybe this will start to eat into CompTIAs market niche icon_cheers.gif

They posted the cert path PDFs and then redacted them because of the leak. The SBS one was cached on my computer, though.

Whats everyone think? Good idea or bad idea for MS to have entry level/foundational certs?

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bad imho. They had Network Fundamentals before and dropped it for a reason. There are already industry recognized certs for these areas and there is no way in hell MS can pull off vendor neutral.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah it would be best if vendors would work with CompTIA for entry level vendor neutral certa imo
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I cant see the point really, I often think that MS need to implement a cert somewhere between MCSE and CCIE level in terms of difficulty if that makes any sense. (with the obvious exception of the master cert which seems almost impossible to obtain), its pointless to bring in a cert with less value.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Competition is good. If MS offers comparable certs to CompTIA at $125, instead of paying over $200 for some of CompTIA's, I think that would be a good thing.

It might also clear up some confusion in transferring credentials from CompTIA to MS for credit on the MCSA/ MCSE as well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Competition is good. If MS offers comparable certs to CompTIA at $125, instead of paying over $200 for some of CompTIA's, I think that would be a good thing.

It might also clear up some confusion in transferring credentials from CompTIA to MS for credit on the MCSA/ MCSE as well.

It may clear up the confusion but the way Micro$oft is these certs will very likely turn into MANDATORY in these paths. Hopefully this doesn't just make it where people end up having to go back and take these new entry level certs to use as their electives for higher level MS certs.
    So far MS has not been known to espouse competition as viewed by their many ongoing court cases through the years.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really see no point in this when the community has been screaming for a more advanced certification that sits between the MCITP and MCM for a while now. I know we have had several threads on the topic here at TE and it has been going around the Interwebs just as much...
    SQL Server Central
    Stepping Stone Cert | SQL RNNR
    Stepping Stone Cert II | SQL RNNR

How many times have you seen help desk ads looking for MCSEs? I mean starting another cert track like this when the MCTS and MCITP certifications are so accessible seems just silly to me.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really see no point in this when the community has been screaming for a more advanced certification that sits between the MCITP and MCM for a while now. I know we have had several threads on the topic here at TE and it has been going around the Interwebs just as much...
    SQL Server Central
    Stepping Stone Cert | SQL RNNR
    Stepping Stone Cert II | SQL RNNR

How many times have you seen help desk ads looking for MCSEs? I mean starting another cert track like this when the MCTS and MCITP certifications are so accessible seems just silly to me.

+1
    This is exactly what I was trying to say but you worded it much better ;)