Options

Help Desk Technical Questions

Techies,

What type of technical questions can I expect from a help desk group interview with the team ?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Techies,

What type of technical questions can I expect from a help desk group interview with the team ?

From my experience they don't ask many technical questions. Almost entirely service based. And even if they do ask a technical question, remember you are answering to a 40 year old inexperienced computer user. So while you do want your information to be accurate, you also want to be focused on providing good communication and not leaving the user guessing.

A question I got once is "Let's pretend I'm calling in, and I don't know how to tie my shoes. Please explain to me how to do it."

That one took me off guard, for one its not something I think of very often and for two it just seemed stupid. I lost focus of pretending that there is another user on the line and that I am supposed to be helping them. I just explained how to do it.

The next question was now pretend I'm calling in about not being able to access a webpage. I was able to redeem myself on this question, just because I have had to walk people through network troubleshooting many times. Never had a shoe request.

The point is be prepared for everything and don't forget about customer service. A help desk job is 90% customer service and 10% technical (if that).
    Decide what to be and go be it.