Options

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Phil3021Phil3021 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just had a question from a OS sample test that ask,
After installing 98 on a 13GB HD only 8GB can be seen. How do you fix this prob? Choose 2.
A/ Reinstall 98 from the oemcd.
B/ Install 98 SE with large hard drive support.
C/ Use fdisk inside of Win 98 DOS prompt.
D/ Reformat the hard drive overlay that comes with the drive.
E/ Contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

With these options i can't see A or D doing much.

C is possible if your not using your full drive as the primary partition, but then theres the problem of losing all your data if you partitioned again. i think you can use software like partition magic to preform task like that. And I'm not to keen on this option cos i"m not sure how well Fdisk would work in a DOS prompt running within windows.

Answer B as far as i know, correct me if im wrong, if you have not got large drive support you will be setting up your hard drive with the FAT 16 file allocation table which will only give you a maximum of 2 GB hard drive space.

So the only answer i can pick as the write answer would be E.

they are saying it is B and E.
Are they wrong? Do i not know what i am talking about? Or is this just a very good trick question?

The only logical thing i canthink of is when did large hard drive support get introduced to windows 98 or 98 SE im sure it was 98????
icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    That does seem to be a very strange question. Please keep in mind that some practice tests have a certain level of error, and this question is a perfect example. From my experience, the only thing that would make sense would be if the primary partition did not allocate all of the drive space. While the question doesn't quite make sense, it does tell you to choose 2 answers. Although this question seems to be faulty, it can teach you a better approach to these questions. Since you say A, C, and D appear to be wrong, that leaves you with B and E. It may be easier to eliminate answers that you know to be wrong first, and maybe that was the purpose of this question (HAHAHA, I doubt it). Personally, I think the guy that wrote this question didn't have a very good understanding of the subject, however I am quite certain that you do. Where they got 8GB, I will never know. I hope I was helpful. Maybe someone will have more insight and can make me look like a jackass, but I think what I said is correct. Good luck in your studies. :D
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    rule of thumb: if it is a question in the operating systems exam, it is likely to be an operating systems answer required ;)

there is, however, an 8gb limit on hard drives with motherboards that do not support int13, so if you are told to gie two answers...
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Phil3021 wrote:
    I just had a question from a OS sample test that ask,
    After installing 98 on a 13GB HD only 8GB can be seen. How do you fix this prob? Choose 2.
    A/ Reinstall 98 from the oemcd.
    B/ Install 98 SE with large hard drive support.
    C/ Use fdisk inside of Win 98 DOS prompt.
    D/ Reformat the hard drive overlay that comes with the drive.
    E/ Contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

With these options i can't see A or D doing much.

C is possible if your not using your full drive as the primary partition, but then theres the problem of losing all your data if you partitioned again. i think you can use software like partition magic to preform task like that. And I'm not to keen on this option cos i"m not sure how well Fdisk would work in a DOS prompt running within windows.

Answer B as far as i know, correct me if im wrong, if you have not got large drive support you will be setting up your hard drive with the FAT 16 file allocation table which will only give you a maximum of 2 GB hard drive space.

So the only answer i can pick as the write answer would be E.

they are saying it is B and E.
    Are they wrong? Do i not know what i am talking about? Or is this just a very good trick question?

The only logical thing i canthink of is when did large hard drive support get introduced to windows 98 or 98 SE im sure it was 98????
    icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

This is one I grasped right away when I was studying; (I'm taking both exams next month) I have a computer at home, a PII with 8G hard drive running Win98 using FAT32 (I did the conversion from FAT 16). Now it's a dinosaur. But when I bought it, we were like, WOW--An 8 G Hard Drive! Fabulous! Not too much later Win98SE came out and one of the features of it was large hard disk support, which didn't mean anything to me at that time, but now it does.
    The correct answer is B because WIN98SE does come with large hard disk support, and 98 doesn't. This is one of those questions that challenges you to know which OS's have which features and new technologies.
    Makin' it happen regardless...